Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Windows 7 and V9 Runtime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 7 and V9 Runtime

Hi,

We have loaded the evaluation version of Windows 7 and tested the V9 Unlimited Runtime without success even with the UAC set to minimum.

Each time we try to open a V9 Runtime application we are greeted with:

"Alpha Five is not licensed for this operating system. Contact Alpha Software at www.alphasoftware.com for upgrade."

We would be pleased to hear of other user experiences because the launch is not too far away.

Michael

Re: Windows 7 and V9 Runtime

Perhaps report this to Alpha5 as they may be testing for the next version of Windows but they are under no obligation to support operating systems that are not yet publically available.

Comment

Yes I got same error message from Windows 7 evaluation :
      "Alpha Five is not licensed for this operating system. Contact Alpha Software at www.alphasoftware.com for upgrade."

Does this mean Alpha5 v8 and v9 will not run on proper release of Windows 7? And maybe Alpha5 v10 will?

Other older software that I use such as Quicken 2000 and Lotus Organiser 97 do seem to work in Windows 7 evaluation.

Comment

Robin,

I'm surprised that no one else has shown interest in this thread because Windows 7 launch date has now been brought forward to October - only 4 months away.

Surely we can not be expected to upgrade all our existing v9 Runtime users to a newer version if this is how Alpha are going to deal with it?

Michael

Comment

Michael, it wouldn't surprise me if Alpha makes an effort to release an update that will be compatible with Windows 7, but they're not obliged to do so. The license you purchased from Alpha does not include guarantees of future compatibiliity with unreleased products from third parties. To assume that it does strikes me as a bit naive and very unfair. So, yes, we can expect some vendors to charge for a new license when we elect to buy operating systems that were not supported (or even existing) when we purchased our present software. Personally, I share your hope that this won't be the posture Alpha takes, but I infer from your post that you think existing customers are "entitled" to a free update for Windows 7, and I don't think that's correct or legitimate.

Comment

Tom,

Going by the error message given I think the point is that Alpha seem to have actively done something to stop you using it.
            I can understand and appreciate Alpha do not have to make it compatible but the message suggests they are stopping you from even finding out if some or all of it is compatible. My understanding is that windows 7 should be fully compatible with Vista. Which you would hope that there would not be to many problems with using Alpha although no guarantees.

Has anyone contacted Alpha directly about this issue?

Geoff

Comment

Tom - surely sales of Alpha v9 would stop abruptly if there is no compatibility with Windows 7?

I will email Alpha to ask them their intentions but would have thought that they had already done their tests.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Humby View Post
                Tom - surely sales of Alpha v9 would stop abruptly if there is no compatibility with Windows 7?

I will email Alpha to ask them their intentions but would have thought that they had already done their tests.

Michael
                I think the point is that all SUPPORTED O/S are hard-coded into Alpha5 so if you try to run it on an unsupported O/S it won't let you, maybe in case that an unsupported O/S could cause damage to your data?

More likely than not it would work fine but until they have tested it properly they are not going to enable it for Windows 7.

Comment

Andrea,

I don't recall this happening in the past. For instance trying V7 in a Vista environment. Surely it is down to the developer whether they want to risk their data in an unsupported environment. Seems a little big brother or echoes of nanny state to dictate that the developer cannot even attempt to use it. I could understand if it provided a warning but gave you the option of going ahead but just to stop you isn't the way to go in my opinion.

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by gmeredith17 View Post
                    Andrea,

I don't recall this happening in the past. For instance trying V7 in a Vista environment. Surely it is down to the developer whether they want to risk their data in an unsupported environment. Seems a little big brother or echoes of nanny state to dictate that the developer cannot even attempt to use it. I could understand if it provided a warning but gave you the option of going ahead but just to stop you isn't the way to go in my opinion.

Geoff
                    Well maybe they are just testing it in Windows 7 and know of specific problems and want to fix those before enabling it - you can't blame a software company for wanting to test their products first before enabling it on an as yet unreleased operating system!

Comment

... you can't blame a software company for wanting to test their products first before enabling it on an as yet unreleased operating system!
                      Sadly, some seem all too ready to do just that.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
                        Sadly, some seem all too ready to do just that.
                        Silly me, I meant "Shouldn't" :D

Comment

As I think it was stated previously Alpha have no obligation to make V9 or any other version prior to this work with windows 7. I do not disagree with this and to be honest it might not be worth the time and effort if there were serious changes to be made.
                          I'm afraid that I do not agree with stopping developers from trying these things. Like I sated previously a warning that your data/files maybe corrupted should be enough to allow the developer to decide if they want to take the risk. I would imagine most sensible developers would not use a live system to test anyway. In fact allowing developers to try it would enable some feedback to Alpha of possible problems that they may well be able to nip in the bud for V10.

I'm not sure why the term blame was used as I was just giving my opinion. At the end of the day its down to Alpha to decide but unless we the users of the software provide feedback on the various paths they take and decisions they make how can we expect them to deliver what we want. That is why this forum is so great as we can all provide our view on a subject and at the end of it have the opportunity to email Alpha with a link to the thread for them to review it if they so desire.

So to sum up I'm not blaming Alpha just giving my opinion that developers should be allowed to try the software on whatever platform they like at their own risk.

Geoff

Comment

Hi All,

I emailed Selwyn to ask if Alpha v9 will be compatible with Windows 7 and he emailed back to say "Yes, it will be".

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Humby View Post
                              Hi All,

I emailed Selwyn to ask if Alpha v9 will be compatible with Windows 7 and he emailed back to say "Yes, it will be".

Michael
                              Thanks, that is good to know! :)

Comment

Working...
                              X