Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Images won't display on forms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Images won't display on forms

I thought this would be pretty straight forward but, alas, I can't get my images to display on my form. I searched this forum and can't come up with any ideas that might help.

I did read that there was a bug in Version 8 with regard to the image display settings in properties setup. I update to the latest patch and I don;t seem to have any problems with the property settings. I even got some images to display once while in editing mode. But I can't get images to display when opening the form in view mode. I have read and followed all directions in the help files and what I read on the forum. I don't know what I am missing.

I have a master table of products setup to be the headers, then several child tables, one of which is a table to hold the image references. I have the child linked to the parent table using an ID field, this field is indexed and identical in form in all tables. I set up a set with one-to-many links and then created my form. I am able to enter all records into all linked tables except the table for the images. If I go directly to the image table and use the default form I can add the images. If I then use the default browse on the set I can see the images in the browse. But if I open my form i cannot see the images. The images are in the table but they will not display.

I am using only the menus and Action Scripting. I don't know where to go from here. I am thinking of trying this in version 9 but I prefer to make this work in version 8 since I am using this version on a different network in a different location.

Are there still issues with images in Version 8? What can I read and study to help me figure this out?

Thanks,
    Sean

Re: Images won't display on forms

Sean

I had an application that was working fine until I decided to put the pieces of the application (actually 3 apps) together in one folder for easy reach.

One of the applications displays a picture of the person and picture of various certificates the person holds (in the development the pictures were just bmp my grandson had made.)

When I opened this application from the new folder, none of my images (all image reference fields) did not display, however, when I clicked on the image reference fields and then clicked on show image reference, there was an image reference listed but not showing, after a short investigation, I found that when I moved the apps to their own folder, the bitmaps that I had moved to the original directory where the app was stored, could not reference the bitmaps. I then changed the image references to reflect where they were now located and the images appeared. I then loaded the app (development) from the original directory and everything shown as it was supposed to.

Is is possible that either you have moved the application to another directory or moved the images that the app references to another directory. That would explain the no show.

My apps run perfectly (well as good as can been expected) after I fixed to locations of the images.

This is just a thought but I would click on the image reference field and then click on show image filename - then click on change image file name and see if alpha brings up the image filename that was shown in the show image file name. If not then you will have to redirect the image file reference to the new directory where the images reside.

FWIW

Tom Baker

edit: also it might help to have a parentform.refresh_layout() in the forms onFetch event.
    Last edited by Tbaker; 06-13-2009, 10:01 PM. Reason: Needed to add something

Comment

Thank you Tom, good tips.

I was careful to make sure I set up my directories properly, and I noticed that I was able to see the images when opening the default browse and default form. This gave me an idea.

I decided to experiment and created a new form, using the default settings and based on only the table for the images. The images showed up just fine on this form. Then I duplicated my master form and went into the copy of my master form and tried placing the images directly on the form (not on a tabbed control). This worked. I then added a sub-form and selected the form I had created for the image table. This also worked to display the images.

I looks like the problem is that I was trying to view the images on a tabbed control. I find the tabbed control convenient for adding a lot of fields in a smaller space. It is also easier to link child records in the set.

I managed to redesign my master form using a sub-form for the images. I had to figure out a way to easily add and edit the images on the sub-form, but after some trial-and-error I was able to get similar results to what I was trying to do with the tabbed control.

I guess Alpha Five should add something to the help files warning us that adding image controls to tabbed controls will probably not work. I don't know why. Seems that it should work, but it doesn't. I've come across some other bugs with the tabbed controls in the past. Some have advised not using them but I like this feature and us it a lot. I guess I'll just have to remember not to place image controls on the tabbed section of my forms.

Sean

Comment

Or possibly send a bug report?

Comment

It is my understanding that Version 8 won't be patched anymore. Isn't that right? Will a bug report help? I think I will have to live with what I have in this version. I do have version 9 on another system but I don't want to develop this app in Version 9 because I am using this app with Version 8 on another network.

Sean

Comment

It is strange. Are tabbed forms supposed to support any type of field? Could there be something about how I am adding the tabbed control or the image links that is causing this? I am using the standard form editor and Action Scripting only. No Xbasic. Can this be done with Xbasic code instead of the standard form editor?

Sean

Comment

Sean

Just for the record - I created a tabbed form with information from a set - Parent and two children. The Second child has image reference fields (two of them) - the parent has one image reference field. I put an event on the tabs OnTabChange event "parentform:tabbed1.repaint().

The forms works for me but then again I may no be doing exactly what you are doing.

As far as your questions, there are some who say tab forms work great and then some that say "I don't use them". Some developers go as far as to create conditional objects and then create buttons to simulate the appearance of a tab. I, myself, use them only on occasion. No reason, just like having it my way.

Also as far as sending in a bug report - you could if you wish but you are right there will be no more patching of A5V8 - last was March of last year. But as I said I could not get it to do what you experienced so I don't think it is a bug -but like I said I have not seen your app.

If you could (and if you still have the app the old way) post a copy and let people see what you see - but you said you have found a workaround so it might just create a lot of work to do that.

I think what was said about posting a bug report was not for patch to Version 8 but perhaps the same thing is appearing in Version 9 and alpha might look at that and try to correct that for Version 10.

Just my thoughts.

Tom Baker

Comment

It is my understanding that Version 8 won't be patched anymore. Isn't that right? Will a bug report help? I think I will have to live with what I have in this version. I do have version 9 on another system but I don't want to develop this app in Version 9 because I am using this app with Version 8 on another network.
                Sean - If you can provide a sample application with instructions where the bug can be repeated it is worth sending a bug report. You are correct in stating that A5 V8 will not be fixed but if Alpha agree it is a bug and it is also present in V9 or V10 they will most likely fix it for these versions. So not a direct help for you at this moment but it is a help to other users and if you eventually upgrade you will reap the benefits. I have sent in a few bugs regarding V8 in the knowledge they will not be fixed but all credit to Alpha they have fixed them in the current version V9.

It may also be worth posting your sample app here to get someone to test it prior to submitting to confirm it really is a bug.

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                X