Alpha Video Training

Thread: Inserting data into embedded browse

Real Name
    Jeff Cianciola

Default Inserting data into embedded browse

I am having a problem that is driving me crazy (I'm sure the answer is relatively simple). I have a form based on a set that contains an embedded browse (inspection). I am trying to pull data from a table (dims) and populate the embedded browse based on a part number entered on the parent form. I have tried a variety of ways to populate the browse form but have had no luck. Any suggestions or direction would be greatly appreciated in order to save my sanity.

Thanks

Jeff

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Mike Christensen

Default Re: Inserting data into embedded browse

Jeff,
    More info please.....much more!!!
    What is the set structure, is the table named "dims" the parent...or some other table. When a part number (where is this from...one of the tables, a lookup, ....?) is entered, how is it entered? Manually, a lookup, combo box, ???. How does the part number relate to other data?? Many other bits of info also would be nice....let us in on what is going on!

Screenshots may help. A sample most certainly would. But right now some basic info is going to have to be given.
    Mike

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Does "populate the browse form" mean create a new record in the embedded browse? (Browses are browses and forms are forms and "browse form" is somewhat of a confusing term.)
    There can be only one.

Real Name
    Jeff Cianciola

I have a set and the main form is called Inspection. The set is made up of a table called Inspection, Dimensions and Parts. The Dimension table is an embedded browse in the Inspection form. What I am trying to accomplish is to program the following routine.

1. Based on values entered into the Inspection form (part number and sequence number).
    2. Locate the appropriate record in the Parts table (there may be multiple entries)
    3. Pull the information from the parts table and insert it in the Dimensions (embedded browse ) on the Inspection form.

I have programed all aspects of this routine, except I seem to be unable to insert the pulled data into the embedded browse.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated or perhaps there is a simplier way to accomplish the end result.

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Jeff

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Take a look at the AlphaSports invoice form. Enter a new record in the invoice details browse, choose a product, and note that other fields are also populated.

This is done with a table lookup in the field rules for the invoice details table. This seems similar to what you want.

You may be having trouble with the concept of "pulling" the information into the browse without starting a new record. You need to start a new record and populate its fields.
    There can be only one.

Real Name
    Jeff Cianciola

Thanks of the information.

I have tried to set the field rules in the table, however the problem that I am experiencing is that it only pulls the first record. There may be as many as 10items in the Part table that need to populate the embedded browse. In other words: If I have P/N ABC Seq 10 and in the parts section there may be 6 dimensions associated with seq 10. The goal is when the user enters 10 in the seq field; all 6 dimensions auto populate Inspection (embedded browse).

I have tried everything I can think of to accomplish this, however I keep coming up short. I'm sure it can be done and I'm also sure the solution is relatively simple, however I think I have tried so man things that I have brain lock.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Maybe it would help us understand you if you furnished an example. The message board permits you to attach files to your replies. Use the go Advanced button that will appear when you begin to edit a reply. Then look for the Manage Attachments button.

The table lookup field rule is designed to lookup a single record and then return one or more field values from that record so that similar fields in the current record are populated automatically.

It's beginning to sound like you are trying to append multiple records to the Inspection table. This the table lookup field rule is not capable of doing. So you need a way to filter the source (Parts) table, and then append the filtered records to the inspection table. This kind of thing can be done running a saved append operation or you can write your own code to open the source table, find the desired records, read the appropriate fields, and then enter new records in the Inspection table. Whether this is close to what you need or not is currently a wild guess. If you post an example that we can work with, and if you include instructions explaining what your goal is (using actual table and fieldnames) it's likely someone here will be able to assist you further.

Real Name
    Jeff Cianciola

Thanks Tom....I will try that and see how it works out.

Jeff