Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Is there a future for desktop applications.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is there a future for desktop applications.

Hi,

If computing power will be less important, what business model will there be left for chip companies like intel and AMD where faster is better. The lifecycle of computers in companies will increase from 3 to 15 years since the browser is all we need ?

I honestly think with this kind of premise, the hardware world and inevitably the software world, will shoot itself in the foot. I don't believe in Cloud computing, since I want to have control over my data instead of leaving it in the hands of some corporations (such as google) that can use it for their purposes whatever they may entail.

Time will tell I would say but if computing power will only be necessary for playing games like Crysis 2 or Prototype, the future for hardware will surely be bleak.

Cheers
    Steven

Comment

I think hardware vendors will concentrate on potable stuff like smartphones, netbooks etc (isnt this all ready heppening?) and the other side is that more powerfull servers will be needed.
      Cheers
      Mauricio

Comment

In my view the "cloud" environment has a major major drawback for some businesses as a result of which I can see it never working in some if not many areas.

I am talking about that dreaded legal and often "stay in business" issue known as data protection.

The legal requirements for the control of personal sensitive information means that in some industries they will NEVER store data somewhere where they do not have complete control.

Take the financial services industry here in the UK. Recent legislative changes require the storage of records for LIFE. It used to be that records had to be kept for a few years after a contract or policy ended. The immediate effect of this is that the sheer volume of physical storage of paperwork is going up and up. It is however allowed for records to be stored electronically BUT the responsibility for the security of the data (in ANY format) lies with the registered individual or firm that sold or services that client.

I am a registered individual (licenced by the Financial Services Authority) and there is no way am I gong to place myself in a vulnerable position of having data somewhere in internet land (and I have not even mentioned the other legal issues over storage of such data outside the borders of the European Union!)

The document archive system I am developing therefore needs to be as secure as possible and involves the ongoing scanning and electronic storage of a massive amount of data. Yes this could be done via a web based system within an Intranet environment. But many such licensed individuals do not operate in such environments, working on stand alone systems. There is plenty of scope and life yet in desktop based systems.

On a related note there have been several instances over here in recent times of laptops and disks/usb sticks being stolen containing sensitive personal data (often from public/government organisations. ) As a result of this we are being practically forced down the road of having whole disk encryption on all hard disks. That is not a cheap option at all!
        Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

I agree that the cloud isnt for every one. but that doesnt means that they wont be using servers or clusters of servers internally (intanet) and that they will be using Web Based software on their browser OS, I think that Is just a matter of time (not much time)

*Google might be the next Microsoft

On a related note there have been several instances over here in recent times of laptops and disks/usb sticks being stolen containing sensitive personal data (often from public/government organisations. ) As a result of this we are being practically forced down the road of having whole disk encryption on all hard disks. That is not a cheap option at all!
          This wouldnt be necesary if all the info was on an internal server
          Last edited by mmaisterrena; 06-18-2009, 11:16 AM.
          Cheers
          Mauricio

Comment

Originally posted by mmaisterrena View Post
            This wouldnt be necesary if all the info was on an internal server
            Sorry you are wrong. A recent case of a stolen server resulted in a very hefty fine because the data was not encrypted.
            Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Is cheaper tu encrypt 1 hard drive than 1,000.
              Cheers
              Mauricio

Comment

Originally posted by mmaisterrena View Post
                Is cheaper tu encrypt 1 hard drive than 1,000.
                That is very true and for those in that position fine, but many are individually registered and use laptops as they are needed.

Nevertheless this is getting away from my main point which was that desktop requirements will be around for a long while yet.

Kind regards

Glen
                Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

The following article has appeared on the BBC web site today. The very last sentence of the article sums up why I take data protection VERY seriously. I guess this serves notice to all that develop applications on the web. I know the UK Data Protection laws are very stringent but I am sure they are equally tough in other locations!

news article
                  Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Another 2 cents -
                    David Shaw
                    Manager of Media Services and User Support
                    Cleveland Museum of Art
                    Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by glenschild View Post
                      The following article has appeared on the BBC web site today. The very last sentence of the article sums up why I take data protection VERY seriously. I guess this serves notice to all that develop applications on the web. I know the UK Data Protection laws are very stringent but I am sure they are equally tough in other locations!

news article
                      I can understand your point completely as it pertains to the internet. However, in reading the question posed at the beginning of this poll, I interpret it as which is more important for development purposes - the desktop tools or the browser based tools. As I mentioned in my previous post, too many people assume that browser based development tools are only for the INTERNET. That's absolutely incorrect! I read from your comments that this appears to be how you view these tools as well. But try thinking about what benefits/disadvantages are there if you use these tools for internal apps. What are your thoughts about this scenario?

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Page View Post
                        The way I view things would make the above statement incorrect. You have used the term "web based" twice in this sentence inferring that this is all for the world wide web. This is where I think most people are making a mistake. This is all "browser based" and that does not mean that it needs to be used on the web.

So hopefully everyone can stop thinking of WAS programming as just something for the internet and start thinking of it as just a different way to get the job done. One that is much more flexible than the tools we have been using to date.
                        I agree. I meant browser based.
                        Marcel

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
                        ---- Confusius ----

Comment

Originally posted by rleunis View Post
                          I think the poll is too black and white...
                          Yes, and as Peter further on the thread also stated is to biased, the people however interpreted it very well and the every response is welcome.
                          Marcel

---- Confusius ----

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
                            Hi Marcel,

I haven't opted "in" to your poll. I feel you posed the questions a little one-sided. There is an inherent bias embedded in the questions. You are suggesting an "either/or" scenario. Maybe you didn't mean it that way, but that's the way the questions are stated. ...

I'm not criticizing you, just pointing out what I see as a polling flaw.
                            You are right. I made the poll late in the evening and the next morning after a good sleep I realized the same you stated. The next time I'll formulate the question more precise.

Your criticism is always welcome.
                            Marcel

---- Confusius ----

Comment

Hi Doug

Yes I accept it has an internet slant. I can definitely see a place for browser based solutions in an intranet environment especially where many potential users are involved but I guess what I am really saying is that the demise of the desktop based applications is still a long way away!

There are people on this board still using the dos based Alpha Four, because it works! Smaller based businesses still have a need for standalone systems.

Don't get me wrong I am not anti WAS far from it, I am developing in that environment where appropriate and v10 os going to really advance things!

Regards

Glen
                              Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by FrankR View Post
                                There needed to be at least one more choice to the poll:

1. No, keep the desktop alive and increase the development at it.
                                2. Yes, stop desktop development and focus entirely on Web based solutions.

3. Going forward, focus more on the web side than the desktop side
                                Yes, as I told above already I agree that the poll could be better formulated.
                                Marcel

---- Confusius ----

Comment

Working...
                                X