Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

FIELD RULES in Alpha DBF's & SQL Tables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FIELD RULES in Alpha DBF's & SQL Tables

I have produced many desktop apps and a few Web Apps using Alpha. I am making the move to web development full time and I will be slowly moving my current apps to the web.

With V10 around the corner, if you haven't moved to the web, you probably will shortly.

Before I start recreating all of my desktop field rules in the grid builders I need to make sure I have to. If I have an Alpha database with field rules, do I have to recreate those field rules again in the Web Project builders. I spend ALOT, I mean ALOT of time with field rules to make sure I reduce GIGO (Garbage In Garbage Out) as much as possible.

At first I was planning on creating HYBRID apps, but I moved away from that idea because of the double work involved in field rules. Or am I doing something wrong?

I have tried creating a grid and then placing bad data in a field with a field rule. The WAS seems to accept the bad data because I don't have a field rule in the WAS. When I recreate the field rule in the builder, the bad data is not allowed. Is there a flag I have to set somewhere to use the databases field rules?

Also, I have only used Alpha to view SQL tables. If I create editable grids going against SQL data, do I also have to recreate the SQL tables field rules? The SQL data I currently go against is a vertical market application which a client uses for payroll purposes. The reporting in that application is AWFUL so I use ALPHA as a report generator for that data. I have been afraid to edit the data for fear of corrupting the data.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Barry Kucher
    http://www.411tech.org

Re: FIELD RULES in Alpha DBF's & SQL Tables

No if you put rules in a SQL database, these should get honoured (such as primary key and not null etc.) in the grid. I do seem to recall something about field rules on WAS being a possibility for v10 but can't remember where I read or heard that....

Comment

The WAS currently does not support dbf field rules - except for engine level field rules: autoinc & calc fields.
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Is this true only for v9 or will v10 be the same? My field rule calculates the person's full name...(salutation + first_name+MI+Last_Name+suffix) but it doesn't work for the web.

I'm learning Alpha and MySql (and loosing hair at the same time)...but I can't figure out where to put it for the web app. Would be nice if I didn't have to do all of the field rules over again for the web.
        Never take a ride to the edge of your mind unless you've got a ticket back - Jon Oliva - Savatage.

Comment

As far as I know, and from working with the BETA, V10 requires that you create the field rules within the page builders even if you created field rules in the ALPHA DBF.

I have asked for this to be incorporated into the alpha Web designer, but apparently it was not high enough on the requests list.

Since I am trying to move all work to the web, this shouldn't be such a problem except if you have the same field on many pages. You will have to recreate the same field rule on EVERY page that field is on, even in a grid!

That's why the idea of the field rule at the DBF level makes so much sense. What drives me crazy is that supposedly, field rules from SQL databases are enforced on the web, but not ALPHA dbf's.

When I say alpha dbf's, I really mean XBASE tables, because it really is only that. But the container, the DATABASE has the field rules, so they should be able to enforce them.
          Barry Kucher

Comment

FIELD RULES ARE ENFORCED IN V10. I just received an email from Selwyn. DBF field rules that are set in the database are enforced on the V10 App Server.

So far I have been able to test this with basic field rules such as field length validation and it works. Also, the validation seems to work once you try to submit the data.

In the desktop version you can have the field rule performed when the user tries to leave the field. This is a GREAT first step. I understand why it works when you submit, and not when you leave the field.

I am sorry I ever doubted the great programmers at Alpha...Great Job!!!
            Barry Kucher

Comment

Originally posted by 411tech View Post
              FIELD RULES ARE ENFORCED IN V10. I just received an email from Selwyn. DBF field rules that are set in the database are enforced on the V10 App Server.
              Can anyone from Alpha (or otherwise) expound on this a bit? I'm new to Alpha and SQL but trying to avoid learning and building things in SQL that I can do in Alpha or learning and building things in v9 that will be included/easier in v10.

I'm also trying to create as many validations, masks etc that I can to ensure good data input but was also surpirsed at the apparent need to recreate field rules on every component built off of a table. The above sounds like a great dbf feature, but (in v10) will I be able to set up field rules through an active-link SQL table and those rules be enforced on a web app against that table? That would be ideal (perhaps too ideal?)

Generally, any assistance reducing the need to repliate filed rules for the same filed in multiple components is welcomed.

Thanks all.

Comment

In version 10, any field "VALIDATION" rule you define in a DBF, will now be enforced on the web app server. They even went a step further by utilizing AJAX to display the error message.

Again, I am just starting to test this feature. The main difference between the desktop field validation and the web validation is that the validation is not done at the field level. What I mean to say is let's say you have a field rule of a required field in a grid. The user skips the field and goes to the next field. On the desktop, an error is displayed immediately. On the web, the error is not caught until the user tries to commit the data. Totally understandable and acceptable due to the traffic required to validate each field.

One thing that doesn't come across is if you use a simple list for a lookup. The list is not displayed and probably has to be recreated in the grid builder. Since I rarely use this feature, it's not so terrible. I have not tested with a lookup table yet. I doubt that it will use it also. Validations are enforced, but I don't think rules are. In fact, in the table I created a default value for a field and when I used the grid, the field was empty.

Again this is a BETA of V10 and they might add more, but I would expect validations and transformations to work, the other rules might.

I have waited since version 8 for this feature. This is great news.

I want to say that the app server respects SQL field rules also. When you try to commit to a SQL table, if the data does not meet the criteria of the SQL table, the table is rolled back.
                Barry Kucher

Comment

This is from Alpha's blog just now:

http://www.screencast.com/users/Alph...2-07b8616b6f9f

Field rules are enforced for DBF tables. Not SQL tables (apart from auto incrementing in most).

But this feature alone is priceless compared to what I have seen on other web frameworks...
                  This will save so much development time and effort!

Comment

Working...
                  X