Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Can this be done in Alpha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can this be done in Alpha

We have been using A5 v8 for a while to create our monthly reports which is then distributed on paper to our various departments. Now the need has come for us to eliminate paper reports, I have been asked to enquire if Alpha 5 could be used to create online reports based on form queries. For example a department head could sign in on to a server and based on his/her sign on id will be able to see only his department�s data and then run a report based on the form query that he/she selects on a form.

My whole worry is how to start this since its going to be online and on our intranet and I will be grateful if someone can point me to a sample of what I am talking about, the security aspect of the sign on and the intranet etc will be taken care of by my IT dept.

I can create queries and reports but where and how to start this online is my problem. Some of my colleagues are talking about Crystal report writer and connect to a dbf file etc. I am the only one recommending Alpha 5 because I know this can be done with Alpha 5easily.

Waiting for any recommendations.

K.

Re: Can this be done in Alpha

Simple to do in A5. Busy now, but maybe someone will have time to point you to an example.
    -Steve
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kdankwah View Post
      We have been using A5 v8 for a while to create our monthly reports ...

So:
      -you have got existing working A5V8 reports running on a A5 instance against your (SQL) DB server.
      -Apparently expertise inhouse to have develop(ed) and maintain(ed) those reports.
      -Need a way to distribute those reports via the intranet instead of hardcopies.

Seems like a very small extra investment, to:

-Set up Alpha5 intranet (web)server, with some add. pages (or forms),
      -Which filter user reports requests on group/role/user login using the standard Alpha's security framework.
      -Use existing Alpha5 report definitions, but now popped up as online PDF reports, which the user can decide to print locally.

Costs involved for this in my opinion is nothing compared to:

-Finding the expertise to redo development in Crystal reports
      -Rewriting and maintaining the reports in Crystal reports.
      -Creating user access to those reports in the existing application if the current DB/Application does not supports such.

Seems like a no-brainer to me...

Alpha is so much more than a reportwriter only.

Big consideration should be: Is the expertise inhouse already there and can they take on the additional expertise to maintain the (web) server solution?

Add. consideration: Crystal Reports require heavy server specs to run smoothly (from experience..)
      Last edited by rleunis; 06-29-2009, 02:00 PM.

Comment

"you have got existing working A5V8 reports running on a A5 instance against your (SQL) DB server."

Answer: I have the Alpha 5 v8 on my desktop.

Do I have to buy Alpha webserver and if so how much is that.

Thanks

Comment

I have forwarded this pricing question to Richard Rabins.
          You might want to enquire at Alpha Software yourselves, explaining your personal situation...I don not know which existing licenses you have.

Comment

the best thing is to email [email protected] and they will assist
            thanks
            Richard Rabins
            Co Chairman
            Alpha Software

Comment

K,

Here is a work-in-progress Intranet reporting portal for a telecom client: http://fms7.alphatogohost.com/index.a5w

Login with [email protected] / 1111111

Note - if you are viewing this post after a month, the login probably won't work. Email me.

After logging in, click Reports. Those reports are good examples. They are filtered to show only the records belonging to the Department that the logged-in user manages. You can build any hierarchy you need, report records belonging only to the logged in user, their whole department, their whole company, etc.
              Steve Wood
              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Recommendation:

1) Contact Steve Wood to get this proposal accepted against a competive pricing compared to Crystal Reports...(I'm sure)

2) Then use the Web Infrastructure you then have to blow away any new information request they come up with...Whether reports, Web pages, and all those requests you even not thought of yet...

3) Sit back and enjoy...What you triggered..And can deliver..

4) Then introduce V10 later this year and have them amazed all over again..

Comment

I just found out that I have a webserver attached to my deskstop Alpha 5 v8. I clicked on it and its asking me if I want to start the server. I am looking at some grid examples now. Is it the same server Steve was referring to?

Also on your "work in progress" can one pull the data by queries online and get the pdf report?

Thanks

Thanks

Comment

All copies of Alpha have a built-in web app server, but this is only for building your app and testing. It cannot be used to deploy for multiple users. The web app server is a separate product. See Alpha's Store.

Regarding the reports in my demo - anything is possible, but you gotta program it. Queries can be directed to the report through the URL or by other (less visible) means. The page that actually kicks off the report uses normal xbasic and therefore you can apply filters, order or anything else at runtime, you can even determine if your report is PDF, HTML, Text, or an Excel spreadsheet. I'm not going to show it here but I have Report Setup pages that let the user decide what to include in the report - columns, filter, order, title, distribution, etc.
                    Steve Wood
                    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve,

What server do I need to purchase. I am using a5v8. My company has intention of purchasing a5v9 but no decision has been made yet on that. At the moment they would like to purchase the server, so help me here.

Thanks

Kofi

Comment

Re: Can this be done in Alpha - using the shadow system.

This is in relation to the project that I spoke about on this trhead. I did not want to start up another thread.

I was thinking of using the web applications, but I have another idea, can I just create a shadow system on each director's desktop and just have them run a report from the shadow system.

The directors will not update or write to the master but will run only the reports I create on their desktop. The updates to the master will be done by my office.

Someone please let me know if this is OK to do.

Comment

Yes, either methodology will work. If you have not purchased V9 yet, you won't be able to in the next few days as shortly V10 will be the only product you can purchase.
                          Steve Wood
                          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Working...
                          X