Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

User Interface design ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: User Interface design ideas?

Originally posted by rmcgaffic View Post

Their tree control is significantly underpowered, the tab control is fine if a 1987 interface will do, their browse isn't half bad, but lacks the hierarchical collapse/expand of their competitors (Brilliant database), and the splitter bar doesn't exist.

So any serious Alpha Developer starts a project with one arm tied behind the other given these limitations.
    First of all I have downloaded and looked at Brilliant and to call them a competitor is stretching it a little. You are limited to 32 tables (they call forms) and everything is stored in one file (that is scarry). If you were developing a simple little databases then it has it's place and if I that was my market I would use it. I am developing more high end industry specific applications so to our customers it more about functionality then look and feel. Heck they are still running character based applications while we re-write it for windows.

Bob, I am not trying to start a fight but my question to you is since you place so much importance on appearance and are so critical about Alpha's lack of appearance and lack of response of addressing it, why are you sill developing in Alpha?
    Jeff Ryder

Comment

Jeff,

Please don't understand me. I well appreciate what a capable tool Alpha Five is. But as I explained to a forum member who privately posed a similar question to me last summer, I don't view that I'm being critical of Alpha Five.

Rather I want them to be better.

Most Alpha developers have limited experience with high end enterprise software. I am fortunate to have worked with the good stuff for nearly 15 years now, and I've got to tell you, it raises your expectations.

Yes, I have looked at Brilliant database and am staying with Alpha Five. As immature a product as Brilliant is, it offers:

1. An MS Outlook style calendar already built into the application
      2. A collapsible/expandable hierarchical grid already built into the application.

I very much want these kind of "out of the box" capabilities in my development tool. This is what easy applicaiton development is all about.

Failing that, I am willing to use third party controls if compatible ones can be found. I have been saying for months that Alpha could not handle the industry gold standard CodeJock CalendarPro control. Dr. Peter Wayne, XBasic guru extraordinare, concurred with me that the problem exists for a form, although not for XDialog. He reported it to Alpha as a bug, so there is a slight chance it may be included as a fix in Version 10.

Bob McGaffic
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Last edited by rmcgaffic; 07-07-2009, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Jeff,

I concur with Bob and I know from my own posts that it is all to easy to come across as negative when really all we want is that bit of spit and polish to really make Alpha5 stand out from the crowd. Alpha5's core controls need to be kept up to date, sadly many have been left for a number of years with minimal improvements. Yes you can create a good powerful database application with okay but dated looks and interaction. I keep on about this but I still can't believe that Alpha hasn't added the ability to drag and drop. This isn't state of the art stuff but because it has been left so long I think it has made it hard to introduce the improvements. Now it is fairly obvious the web side of things is getting the lion share of resources. This may well be the right commercial decision but I don't thing desktop is dead and if they haven't the resources they should look at ways of ensuring that third party tools work with Alpha5 or of loading the development to 3rd party.

With all this being said it doesn't make Alpha5 a poor product just one lacking in certain areas.

Comment

Bob's concerns are valid, appreciated and shared by many, including myself. Alpha Five is marketed as a RAD tool - it says so on their homepage.

If that's the case then I shouldn't have to write hundreds of lines of xbasic to conjure a categorized browse or a simple Outlook style tree menu. Heck, I could just learn .Net if I'm going to go through all that hassle.

The original thread title was about interface design. Say you steer the small db crowd away because they find the UI creation tools not as attractive as FileMaker. Does Alpha tell them to go somewhere else? That's a lot of lost revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by JPFromtally View Post
            The original thread title was about interface design.
            So here's a sample of the interface that our company uses.

Originally posted by JPFromtally View Post
            Say you steer the small db crowd away because they find the UI creation tools not as attractive as FileMaker. Does Alpha tell them to go somewhere else?
            You know JP, we're all assuming that with better tools that we are guaranteeing success. That is not always the case. Just because a person has the latest version of Photoshop doesn't mean that individual will be producing better imagery.

I think with v8, Alpha has provided a decent toolset for producing appealing interfaces. (check out the second post to this thread). The rest is up to the database designer.

When I look at what I am able to produce using genies and snippets of code I find in this forum as compared to skilled programmers, I am humbled that the limitation might not be with what A5 can do but with me.

I think the same holds true for interface design.

Rui
            Last edited by RCarvalho; 07-08-2009, 02:29 PM. Reason: attach image

Comment

Wow, that is impressive. When I originally started this post, I was looking for design ideas. Things got a bit off track, but has been interesting nevertheless. Posts as yours was what I was wanting to see. It looks like you have an extensive application as well.

Steve

Comment

Rui,

Can you share with us how you were able to blur sensitive client information in your screen print?

Your application looks good as you have
                1. Used only a few colors (black, two shades of gray)
                2. Got your margins even
                3. Used a single font in different sizes and bold/regular

Very simple, but much better than the average form posted on this forum.

Here's a tiny detail you may not be aware of:

Look how nice your memo fields look at the bottom of the Project Open and Define form. The pencil is discretely placed at the top of the scroll arrow and the pencil icon looks like a pencil.

These fields are dead givewaways that you are using V8.

In V9 Alpha regressed, and did two things that need to be reversed, in my opinion:

1. Placed the icon at the right not top of the scroll arrow
                2. Used a really, really crummy icon that in another post I described as "fly droppings". See "Improvements to Memo Field Edit XDialog" in Wish List.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to achieve the appearance of your form's memo fields in Version 10?

Bob McGaffic
                Pittsburgh, PA
                Last edited by rmcgaffic; 07-08-2009, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Hi Bob, he did mention it was v8. This is the type of ideas I was looking to see. I am sure a nice interface is attainable with some work.

Steve

Comment

ALthough it is not a web-based interface, our "application" is actually one main menu that calls numerous other appications which, when closed, return back to the main menu.

When the desktop shortcut is clicked, we present a user sign in dialog which must be filled in prior to access. When the user signs in and is authenticated, a main menu is presented to them, with restrictions as to where they can go based on our internal security.

Tom

Just a note...

This is the main information system for a 200+ user organization.
                    Last edited by Tom Henkel; 07-08-2009, 03:38 PM. Reason: more thoughts

Comment

Can you share with us how you were able to blur sensitive client information in your screen print?
                      Photoshop (not the latest version though):D

These fields are dead givewaways that you are using V8.

You're right, we purchased v9, implemented it for a week then went back to v8. Waiting for the "final patch" before v10 is released. I have noticed certain "interface quirks" and I will have to make visual adjustments to accommodate.

Comment

That's a very nice design indeed. I have to ask, what is the font?
                        Finian

Comment

Originally posted by Finian Lennon View Post
                          That's a very nice design indeed. I have to ask, what is the font?
                          Lucida Sans Unicode

Comment

Hello,

I think peoples expectations and comments are way to high and a little harsh.

Alpha5 is an incredible development platform for producing scalable web applications..

There isn't a single development platform out that provides the functionality that Alpha5 does with a complete graphical suite.

People must recognisee that if you want the functionality that Alpha5 provides and need the graphical presence then learn the basics of 'HTML' + 'CSS' and design your mocks in Adobe Fireworks etc. You'll be amazed how good your web apps will begin to look . Remember the Graphical aspect should be separated from the functional aspect when developing websites(apps).

Design your site so you can see it visually, replicate the design and layout in Alpha and begin developing the functionality. Takes a little more time but the end results are fantastic.

We don't want Alphasoftware to produce a hybridbeast! Let them continue building on the development platform front and leave the graphical aspect to Abode etc. Alpha cant compete with Adobe and noone can compete with Alphasoftware.

Many Thanks

Tim

Comment

People must recognisee that if you want the functionality that Alpha5 provides and need the graphical presence then learn the basics of 'HTML' + 'CSS' and design your mocks in Adobe Fireworks etc. You'll be amazed how good your web apps will begin to look . Remember the Graphical aspect should be separated from the functional aspect when developing websites(apps).
                              Tim - this is the desktop forum not web. Many of the comments are to do with the Alpha 5 controls themselves which can only be improved by Alpha themselves. There have been a number of times where Alphas attention to detail is lacking and in some areas they have failed to keep up with modern control performance and GUI appearance. Maybe the comments appear harsh but you will notice most contributors perceiver with Alpha because overall it is a powerful product. It just lacks a little polish and general TLC in certain areas. These things need highlighting otherwise Alpha would continue oblivious to the frustrations it is causing some of its users and it has to be said many voicing these issues are relatively new users so it would suggest that Alpha may be putting new users off because of these issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X