Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

24-hour Time format

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24-hour Time format

Hi

I've searched for an answer to this for a long time.

Alpha5 defaults to a 12-hour time format (AM / PM) - why, I don't know when the rest of the world is quite happy with 24-hr.

This is of particular importance in my own industry (Security Services) where 24-hour is mandatory - indeed, it is considered a potential danger to use the 12-hour clock.

Enough of the whingeing - my problem is that, in our operating room we have around 30 PCs , 60 operators on differing shifts, all compiling time tracking data on Alpha Databases, and logging on to potentially different workstations each day / night.

To compound, we have a fairly large staff turnover, due to 2x12 hr shift operation.
    Every time a new operator starts Alpha Runtime / moves to a different pc (possible permutation = 30 to the power of 40 approx) someone has to change the "view -settings -preferences - time format" to 24 hr (delete the AM ..!)

a. Is there a simple way to set the default at 24-hour
    b. Is there a script that will do that automatically ( as Operating staff do not have access to Control Panel and as this can happen at any time of day/night/weekend, management are not always on hand).
    I have remote access to all the workstations, but of course, they must be logged on in the individual operators' name.

Any help appreciated....

..... and - while I'm having a moan (ALPHA STAFF) - date format works fine for USA etc - can allowance be made to also set the default date/time to dd/mm/yy (UK)?
    The hours I've spent getting Alpha to speak to SQL and Excel because of the date handling you would not believe .....

John G

Any help (and Valium) appreciated.

Re: 24-hour Time format

Hi John,

I got this from the interactive window.

?left(time(),5)
    = "18:42"

Would that not help as a calculated field?
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Does changing the regional time setting preference in Windows help?

Comment

Maybe it just me, but we here in the US also have a 24hour clock in Alpha.

Code:
        ?left(time(),5)
        = "13:55"
        The time stamp, if you use it, shows AM/PM, but the clock is 24 hour.

We log date and tim in many of our applications, and it alwas stamps with the 24 hour clock.

Tom

Comment

Thanks to both gents for the quick responses!

Sadly, neither one solves the problem.
          I appreciate (Keith) that your suggestion will convert the field, and have used it on many occasions.
          My problem (independent of Windows settings, Tom) occurs when a (new-to-that-pc) operator fires up the runtime for the first time in that pc/opertor mix.
          Then, any A5_timestamp() appears as AM or PM. As reports are mailed and written to SQL continuously, the PC becomes unuseable until the "view-settings-prefs-time format" can be accessed and, as explained, that is not always possible.

I need to set Alpha so that when first run, the default time is 24-hour, not the (to me) unuseable 12-hour format, or at least enable a button for the operator to run a script that sets the 24-hour.
          Runtime is installed on the PCs for 'All Users' but it seems that Alpha forces 12-hour for new operator profile. There is nothing in the users' Windows profile or regional settings to suggest 12-hour - indeed, as pointed out, rather the opposite. Everything we do within the industry must be in 24-hour.!

JG

Comment

John,

It is the Alpha timestamp that is an issue. I don't know how difficult it would be, but if instead of using the A5_timestamp, you just used

left(time(),5)

you would have the 24 hour clock.

Code:
            ?a5_timestamp()
            = "02:20 PM"
            ?left(time(),5)
            = "14:20"
            Tom

interestingly enough, it is ther same number of characters you would have to use...
            Last edited by Tom Henkel; 07-09-2009, 02:24 PM. Reason: interesting note...

Comment

Thanks Tom. I'll use that (for now .. ) !

... but I'm determined to try to get the timestamp to default to 24-hour - I need to lobby ALPHA, I think, to make that the default.

Hey-ho - I just need to find and alter the 3 or 4 dozen fields and calc. fields that use the timestamp now ....

Thanks again Tom - I should have realised as I posted that last response that I was pointing myself towards the timestamp.

Cheers

John G

Comment

Cal Locklin (sp??) put together a really great documenter (AIMS_APP_ANALYZER) that costs very little. It will find all instances of the expression for you. It has really helped us a lot.

Tom

Comment

Thanks for that Tom !

That really will be helpful - makes me quite glad that I finally lost my rag with the Timestamp (after 6 or 7 years mind you)

I wonder, as 24-hour seems to be the worldwide norm/requirement, whether ALPHA may consider making the A5_timestamp() 24-hour. It is, after all, they who suggest using it to enter the current time.

Thanks Tom. I'll get onto Cal Locklin (sic) site now.

Regards

John G

Comment

I look up help and look what I found:

Description

The A5_TIMESTAMP() function returns a short time value as character string, using the time format specified in the Settings dialog box ( Settings... > Preferences > Time ) section. This function is called when the user presses the Control + Shift + T hotkey in form or browse mode.

So I change the format to 0h:0m and see what I got:

? a5_timestamp()
                    = "15:44"
                    Last edited by jaryder; 07-09-2009, 05:05 PM. Reason: typo
                    Jeff Ryder

Comment

I didn't need to look up help for that, Jeff - but that's not the problem ....

My operators do not have access to the control panel, and are not going to get it for security reasons.
                      When a NEW operator uses a computer they've not been on before, how can they change it then .... ? I'm saying that on first-run, Alpha defaults the timestamp to 12-hour.

Why not try yourself? Disable control panel after you set to 12-hour AM/PM.
                      Log out. Log back in - use timestamp - now change the settings to 24-hour .....

You CAN'T without access to control panel - that's my point.

Anyhow, a solution has been found, thanks to Tom H.
                      I think this thread is now closed.
                      JG

( I still think that ALPHA are remiss in setting default timestamp to 12-hour - should be 24 ... ! )

Comment

I guess my point was that when I set the option to 24 hour one time through the control panel and then closed down alpha and restarted Alpha and went to the interactive window the a5_timestamp reported 24 hour. There should be nothing for the users to do once the format has been changed on each PC on how to report the time.
                        Jeff Ryder

Comment

Hi John,
                          Even though you have a work-around for this (in fact the first response by Keith gave you that!), here is another that could easily be placed in the autoexec script for all your runtimes...basically right out of the help files.

Code:
                          'initialize the UserSettings variable
                          UserSettings.dummy = ""

:registry.LOAD_SETTINGS("preferences",UserSettings)

UserSettings.timestamp.format = "0h:0m"
                          :registry.SAVE_SETTINGS("preferences",UserSettings)
                          Mike

Comment

Maybe it just me, but we here in the US also have a 24hour clock in Alpha.
                            Tom, I agree. While it's a bit of a long shot, did you know that the regional setting for date and language will also permit you to specify that Windows (XP) display times using a 24 hour clock? I was curious whether changing Windows to a default time format that used a 24 hour clock would help, reasoning that maybe Alpha looks at the windows format for its own default. Made sense to me (at the time anyway).

Regards,

-- tom

Comment

I do see your point Jeff, and that's ok if each operator uses the same PC each time they log on BUT, (see my earlier post) it does change back to 12-hr (trust me on this) if a NEW operator uses a PC that he/she has not used before.

We have approx 30pc's running 4 different Alpha databases. We have 50+ operators (with frequent staff turnover). 30 x 50 permutation, then have to change again when staff leave/new ones start. ...? You see my need for a simpler way to change this automatically ... ?

Fortunately, Mike C has just provided me with the means in the latest post. I knew there had to be a way via a script which could be incorporated in the autoexec. or on a button to be run my the shift supervisor, who also has nil access to control panel.

That should do what I need Mike - many thanks.

John G

Comment

Working...
                              X