Alpha Video Training

Thread: IE Crashes on v10 Detail View Changes

"Certified" Alphaholic Rich Hartnett's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Hartnett

Default IE Crashes on v10 Detail View Changes

I have created a small test grid in v10 with a detail view. (Ajax enabled, about 440 records)

The grid shows the default value of 10 records at a time, and the detail view has 8 fields, of which only two are updateable.

My hyperlink field is "Record_no," and all is well when looking at the first 10 records. (Detail view works fine, changes are updated almost instantly.)

However I am having a problem when the grid view is changed from "10" to "25" or some other number, or when the navagation is set to another "group" of records.

When the "Records per page" or the "Navagation" is set to another group of records and the hyperlink is clicked on, almost immediately an Internet Explorer Error Box pops up and forces me to close out of the web page. I've tested this on 3 machines so far, and the problem is pretty consistent.

Before I report it as a bug however, I was wondering if someone could try it on their machine, to assure me that the problem is not just on my end.

Here is the link to the web page:

http://pd.serveftp.com/HC/TestGrid.a5w

** The data is for testing purposes, so feel free to change whatever you like.
    Sergeant Richard Hartnett
    Hyattsville City Police Department
    Maryland

"Certified" Alphaholic glenschild's Avatar
    Real Name
    Glen Schild

Default Re: IE Crashes on v10 Detail View Changes

Rich

Just added a record, changed no of records per page, navigated to various other pages, amended an existing record and all seemed to work okay without any errors (using IE8) whereas you are using IE6?

Regards

Glen

update: okay in Google Chrome as well.
    Glen Schild

My Blog

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Bill Griffin

Rich,

Seems to work fine here. Using IE8 (tried in and out of compatability mode and both worked fine)

Real Name
    John Hardy

Works ok IE 7

Real Name
    Richard Hartnett

Glen, Bill and John thank for testing that for me. All of the machines at my house are still running IE6.

(What can I say, I don't like 7 or 8, and really can't stand Vista.)

In any event, after reading your replies, I went next door to my neighbor's house and tested the web page on a Vista machine, running IE7, and just like John said, it works fine. Then I tested it at the same neighbor's house, but on a different computer, this time back to IE6, and the same problems occurred.

So I'm assuming that this is a problem which only occurs on machines running IE6.

Nevertheless, I'm still going to ask Selwyn to take a look at it, since I can't control what version of IE my users will be viewing it with, and if they're "dinosaurs" like me, they're still using IE6.
    Maryland

Real Name
    John Hardy

I originally changed to IE 8 and found this was a real problem. I went to IE7 and its been fine.
    I also use Fire Fox sometimes but their updates are sometimes problematic, seems you cant say no!
    Cheers

Alpha Software Employee Selwyn Rabins's Avatar
    Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

Quote Originally Posted by JH10 View Post
    I originally changed to IE 8 and found this was a real problem. I went to IE7 and its been fine.
    I also use Fire Fox sometimes but their updates are sometimes problematic, seems you cant say no!
    Cheers
    All aspects of V10 have been tested in IE7, and IE8, Opera, Chrome, Safari and Firefox and work correctly in these browsers.

We do not do any testing in IE6.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Mike Christensen

We do not do any testing in IE6.
    Good to know...have 2 computers yet that are using IE6 as that is what the original OS installs and I never bothered to update them.

I am sure there are plenty of users out there that are as negligent as I am about these types of updates.

A bit of a surprise though to find this out considering how many users still use XP (I think most yet truthfully!) and my 3 OS versions I have all install IE6 initially....and one PC I use for testing is slow, little drive space, with just enough ram for XP---I do not put anything on it but the bare necessities!!

I guess IE7 or IE8 will have to become one of the necessities from now on!! :) And will have to include this info in the install package as well to forewarn users about potential IE6 problems.
    Mike

"Certified" Alphaholic peteconway's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Conway

I have sampled most of the new functions on V10 and confirm while there are some forms that have an unexpected result, most are true to the Live Preview and work, however Live Preview Viewer is most true to IE in appearance. Best results are obtained by using The Insert Special Controls in the grid rather than managing layout in the a5w page.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)
    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Real Name
    Mike D

Hi Just tried it here IE6 SP2 and Win XP PRo and no problems with changing the number of records displayed , could not place ticks(?) in the boxes however..though perhaps thats deliberate?
    Cheers Mike

O.k. just went and tried it again, and this time upped unber of records per page to 25, and that happened no problems however when I clicked on the left most field IE6 crashed, did the same again and it crashed again too.
    Last edited by ZaphodBBB; 07-20-2009 at 09:58 PM.

Real Name
    Richard Hartnett

Mike those checkboxes are not editable, as it is a read-only grid, but thanks for testing it out anyway.

The problem does in fact seem to be limited to the IE6 browser, as everything seems to work fine in IE7 (I haven't tried IE8). As always, I appreciate Selwyn responding to my bug report as quickly as he did.

In any event, I guess I'll have to start warning my users to upgrade to at least IE7, or I will be getting multiple trouble calls once V10 is a fully released and I start using it officially.

(I do wish it would work correctly in IE6 though. It would save me a lot of headaches.)

** Incidentally, has anybody else noticed that the font sizes change from the initial opening of the page to the smaller size upon changing the number of records? I have the font size set to Arial = 11, but when the page opens they seem like they are 14 or bigger. As soon as the user performs some action, they go the size I wanted them in from the start. I'd really like to font size to stay consistent.

Anyone else having this problem?
    Last edited by Rich Hartnett; 07-22-2009 at 12:48 PM.
    Maryland