Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Is there any v10 desktop demo's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there any v10 desktop demo's

Hi I know this is for announcements. But are there any Demo's of the desktop side of version 10. It seems all I here and see is the web server side.

Thanks

Re: Is there any v10 desktop demo's

I've had by ear to the ground aubject this also and have not heard a single word in respect to new features on the desktop side. Admittedly there is nothing I'm desperately waiting for. However my guess is that the A5 team would want to include new features, or they would have a weak selling point to the existing desktop developer/user base, for a respective upgrade.

Comment

There was a thread in the last week or so in which Selwyn responded about this---basically that yes there were enhancements/new features and that there would be demos about them (no specific time frame).
      Mike

Comment

Thanks

It just seems to me that all the hype is toward web based database. At least that is what is promoted.

Comment

New desktop features our coming. However, V-10 is blurring the line between the two.
          Its like taking the the race car off the track and onto the open road.
          Bob

Comment

In an e-mail I received today from Alpha-

Videos showing enhancement in v10 for building Desktop applications will be coming soon

Comment

Fo rthe last few version upgrades Alpha is still moving to Web Based apps and leaving the desktop developers behind. I think this will prove a big mistake in the long run for Alpha. I know many A5 developers that build only desktop apps and have no desire to move to the web anytime soon. I get request every day and most of my clienst dont want a web based app. Sooner or later another company will overtake Alpha for the desktop side of app bulding and they will loose a lot of customers.

Look at the recent web based PayPal mess that happened when they upgraded their system on the web.They lost data and caused huge problems for many customers. They finally got it fixed after 5 months. They lost business becasue of it. A lot of business.

Comment

This discussion has been hashed several times already on the forum and each time it just shocks me in to what "developers" are saying about web vs. desktop. There really is no such thing - this is a real misnomer. There are 2 development methods that can be used in Alpha. One that is more difficult to integrate "IP based" sections of code and one that is significantly easier. IP based does not equal "Web". You do realize that the network you are developing "desktop" apps for is IP based? I just don't get this "desktop" label. If you have a centralized data storage for one or many people, then you can use both methods of development to create applications. It does not mean that you will need a connection to the internet. Alpha goes the whole way by allowing us to rapidly build "hybrid" apps by allowing us to program using both methods. What more could a developer want? I have purchased apps for my "desktop" that actually run in a browser. Works like any other app. It can connect to the web or not. All the functionality is there.

So instead of thinking that you are being left behind, you should be praising Alpha for allowing you to continue to create applications the way you currently do and also have the ability to advance your skills and be able to offer more to current and new clients. If Alpha has stated that they are going to have new abilities, you can bet they will. But do realize that this part of the development platform has been honed for many years and is already at the top of the heap. The IP based side of things is very new and requires much more added to bring it up to the same level. In Alpha, we have a development tool for now and the future that will allow us to create any kind of app that our minds can think of in any direction that we care to take it. IP based programming is a method that can be applied to internal apps, web apps and hybrid apps.

Comment

To expand on this last post, it also gives you the ability to use any OS on the client/workstation. If it can display a web page it should work. Mac, Linux, so forth. I am working on setting up a intranet website. The only people that will have access to it are people inside my physical location. One of the cool things, in my opinion, if you make changes and modifications you do not have to worry about the users. No software to install or upgrade on them as the only software the client/workstation will use is their favorite Internet Browser. If a pc crashes, so what. Does it have IE on it? Well if it is Windows, we know it will. Set up the network, if you are using DHCP you don't even have to do that, and bam it works. Years ago I was very sceptical of this concept, but after much thought I have concluded that once again Alpha is smarter than I am! I am anxiously looking forward to general release of V10.

Comment

I hope you are right. I have been developing apps in Alpha since the early 90's and have gone from A4V4 to A5V8. I did not upgrade to V9 simply because there were not enougn enhancements to make it worth while for me to move. V8 workds geat for the desktop applications that I sell. I'm not knocking Alpha as a platform at all. Over the past four years I've made almost $287,000 selling desktop apps. Its a great tool for development. Keep in mind that the web/IT based apps are a great idea but as a desktop developer each client of mine is unique. If one client wants a new feature I can pt it in without making others mad because they don't like the change.

I have developed several desktop apps over the years and sell them on the web. All of my appsa are sold to users thathave them on a single desktop or laptop and are not connected by network.

There is still a big world for descktop development out there and I hope Alpha will be around to support it.

Comment

Originally posted by Windstarsoftware View Post
                      I have developed several desktop apps over the years and sell them on the web. All of my appsa are sold to users thathave them on a single desktop or laptop and are not connected by network.

There is still a big world for descktop development out there and I hope Alpha will be around to support it.
                      Again, IP based apps are desktop apps. They run on a single machine without a network just fine. I use an excellent program for recording TV shows on my computer called BeyondTV. They use the hybrid approach where you can use a standard coded program (that only runs in Windows) or access many other features by using IP based coding through the browser (runs on anything). I very rarely use the standard coded interface as the IP based one is easier to navigate and flexible enough to let the user make changes to it if they need to.

To simplify, it's not "desktop" development it is "application" development. And with Alpha you get more than one closed-in method of doing it.

Comment

Doug - I understand your argument and it has merit but the one thing you seem to gloss over is there are two distinct sets of tools provided by Alpha. One set for producing desktop applications that can be networked. Another set of tools to produce applications that run in a browser run from a server. When members state that desktop is being left behind they a referring to the tools associated with desktop application design. Even Alpha themselves distinguish between the two sets of tools.
                        Yes the two technologies maybe merging over time but there seems to be disproportional attention to the web tools at the moment. Rightly or wrongly this has left many desktop application developers feeling a little in limbo with an underlying feeling that Alpha is winding down this side of their product with fewer and fewer improvements with each new release.
                        This may not be the case and totally unjustified but from reading recent threads it is definitely the vibe many are getting. Alphas reluctance to put these concerns to bed is also not a help. Patience is a virtue but most of us lack it (including myself) and Alpha needs to learn to woo its audience (customer base) a little better. It would have been a far better marketing strategy to release a few videos of the desktop improvements around the same time as the codeless ajax ones. This would have drawn the whole user-base in rather than leaving many feeling isolated and ignored. I am sure this wasn't Alphas intention and they were just excited to get the new codeless ajax demos out there for everyone to see but it is the result.

Hopefully in a few weeks all will be forgiven. Alpha will have released an outstanding product for web and desktop developers and all is well in the world of DB.

Comment

Hi Geoff, my concern is that we have yet to see anything. Hopefully Alpha is not scrambling to put something together to appease the concerns we are all making regarding the concentration on the web, and lack of desktop.

A picture is worth a thousand words! Why have we not see even one?

Steven McLean
                          Cook & Company
                          Barristers and Solicitors
                          [email protected]

Comment

The Big question is can Alpha live off of Web development only. AS they move more torwads the wen a d away desktop most desktop developers will not follow. That means soon only web developers will be buying the newer Alpha 5 software and only they will be upgradingto newer versions. I know several who upgraded to V9 and felt it did not really give them much on the desktop side. It seems to me that the web side will be a small market compaired to the desktop market.

Comment

WEB development is new new Buzzz, everything you read is "Cloud" this "Cloud" that..... I think Alpha is trying to capital on the hype. IMHO mainstream database will remain on the desktop. I our industry (Legal) having data on a "Server" somewhere in "NET" land is something that will not happen for the foreseeable future. There are privacy and confidentially issues that don't allow it.

I agree that if Alpha concentrates on the WEB, most desktop developers will not follow.

Currently it seems things are progressing similar to FoxPro and Microsoft. Foxpro (2.0 days) was a great and fast product with a strong and small following. Microsoft bought them for their indexing technology (Rushmore). 2.5/2.6 was released shortly after and 2.6 was one of their better releases. Past that the releases were half heated attempts with a lack of commitment to the product which has faded away and no longer exists...

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X