Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Is there any v10 desktop demo's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is there any v10 desktop demo's

Foxpro still exists - it went to Version 9. MS won't release any more versions but will 'support' it till 2015. It's now in a zombie state. The owner won't breathe any more life into it but it's too strong to die.

Alpha might want to do some quick damage control before desktop developers decide that v10 is a skipable upgrade.

Comment

I our industry (Legal) having data on a "Server" somewhere in "NET" land is something that will not happen for the foreseeable future. There are privacy and confidentially issues that don't allow it.
      Same issues in the Automotive world. Red Flag and Privacy is making it very difficult to go on a web based system with Dealers. Car Dealers are very scared of their customer base being compromised someway. Most want their server off any internet connection and with good reason. We have done some tunneling for a few where they have multiple stores and one server. It seems one way to keep all data secured(as best we can) with multiple access. We also have encrypted sensitive data just in case.

Dave Mason
      [email protected]
      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Performance is also another big issue. Every system that have looked at recently including IP based is slower than desktop. when I ask users about the program they are using I hear nothing but complaints. I was in the bank the other day when my teller skipped a step and had to reboot and re log on to the server and start the transaction over. She was very unhappy as was I the customer. It took 9 minutes to get started again. I know there are need for the web development side but at this time there are more concerns over security and for performance. As I said in an earlier post companies like PayPal have recently moved to a new web based system as an upgrade to their existing system and had a big problem that affected thousands of customers. I get ask by almost every customer about where my application resides. They are all scared or concerned about data safety.

Comment

Doug,

I agree with you completely. People keep calling it web applications but it is much more that that. "Browser" based applications offer many things that have nothing to do with the web. I agree that Browser based applications are overkill for a single user desktop application. But for a 5, 10, 20, or more user application that is being sold all over the country so you will not be at he customer site, I think browser applications has many advantages. Less network traffic, you as the developer is only maintaining your software on one server and it is the customer's responsibility to keep his network and PCs running as there is no software of yours on them. As long as the PC has a working browser that is all you are concerned about. The customer can hire a local network guy to configure their system and take care of hooking up the PC's and getting printers working.

I see no differences in security issues between a multi user browser based application and a multi user desktop application. In both cases you will have the databases on one machine. The PC's in both cases have to communicate with that one machine and both send data over the network to the PC requesting it (just in different forms) With a simple firewall setup on your internet to block outside access to the application server then I do not see and difference with security between the desktop and browser based. If you make you browser based application available to the internet the that is a different story.

My company currently sells a character based Unix type application for multi users (64 users is our current largest customer) and we have been looking at alpha for our replacement. I can not tell you how many hours we spend working on customers' PC's trying to install terminal software, printer server software, etc. which is one reason I am looking so hard at a browser based application where we are only responsible for the server and it's software. Browser access, windows printers, emailing, faxing would become the responsibility of the customer and their local network guy.
          Jeff Ryder

Comment

Originally posted by gmeredith17 View Post
            Doug - I understand your argument and it has merit but the one thing you seem to gloss over is there are two distinct sets of tools provided by Alpha.
            Thanks for the comments Geoff and believe me, I'm not trying to argue with anybody. And I actually don't think that I am missing the point of the discussion and understand fully what is being said. My only point was that the new method of creating an application does not have ANYTHING to do with the web and everything to do with a new method of programming - one that can be easily used on the internet if one should so desire. Some of the specialized tools used with this form of development require a connection to the web but so does the classic programming method so does that mean that this is a bad thing? Unfortunately I don't think that my message is sticking with some of those that are concerned about the lack of "desktop" features as the next 3 people who responded after you had absolutely no idea of this concept and continue on their misdirected thinking that IP based programming has only to do with the web!?! For example:
            "regarding the concentration on the web"
            "The Big question is can Alpha live off of Web development only."

Anyways, I was just hoping that I might be able help to enlighten those that seem to think that what has been added is just for the "web". And I believe that most people have this misunderstanding as they don't really understand what IP based programming is.

When members state that desktop is being left behind they a referring to the tools associated with desktop application design.
            I realize that this is where the frustration comes from. I too have a few wishes for the classic system. However, with every version my number of wishes diminishes as Alpha has matured. But despite what these people think of as a fad, IP based programming is HUGE, it just may not be in their current circle of knowledge. And combining databases with a simple to use IP based development system is something the largest companies in DB have been attempting for years including Microsoft and Oracle. Now include the awesome tools that Alpha has included in their classic development method and we can now create hybrid apps that take many, many times longer to do in any other language.

Rightly or wrongly this has left many desktop application developers feeling a little in limbo with an underlying feeling that Alpha is winding down this side of their product with fewer and fewer improvements with each new release.
            This is why I was hoping to "show them the light" so to say. The classic version has been honed for many years and has more tools and functions than any of us can possibly learn (except maybe Stan ;)). The IP based side of things, however, is very new and so the development in this area is going to be much more noticeable.

Oh well.... I am excited about v10 just the same and funny enough all of my programming to date has only been using the classic tools. I just appreciate that my development platform is ready for the future when I am. And I already have plans for some of those "web" tools on my non-internet connected network. It will be a hybrid system using both methods of development. And even if I do connect it to the 'net doen't mean that my security has been compromised as it will only run on the web if I allow it.

As a final comment to all, in your hurried programming life, take some time to try to understand IP based programming and how and WHERE it works. You may be surprised to find out that the application that you are building today for your desktop just might be developed faster and better using the new IP based "desktop" tools now to be included in Alpha. Just take a look at the comments above from Alan Lee and Jeff Ryder and you will see others who are already planning on implementing IP based applications in a network environment.

Comment

Hi Doug, I realize that you can develop a WEB / "Browser" app for LAN use alone, as well as WEB use or Hybrid. But for a LAN application possibly with VPN or RWW access as well, the desktop product is still the best solution. With a "Browser" App integration with additional programs is problematic.

In Many industries, Legal in particular WEB / Browser have a perceived security risk. Founded or unfounded, it exists.

There is much hype around "SAAS" and "Cloud" computing many believe it is a fad and be the next DOT COM bust.

To many is seems Alpha has possibly devoted all their attention to this road. WEB / Browser based applications have a place but are not the only answer.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by jaryder View Post
                Doug,

I agree with you completely. People keep calling it web applications but it is much more that that. "Browser" based applications offer many things that have nothing to do with the web. I agree that Browser based applications are overkill for a single user desktop application. But for a 5, 10, 20, or more user application that is being sold all over the country so you will not be at he customer site, I think browser applications has many advantages. Less network traffic, you as the developer is only maintaining your software on one server and it is the customer's responsibility to keep his network and PCs running as there is no software of yours on them. As long as the PC has a working browser that is all you are concerned about. The customer can hire a local network guy to configure their system and take care of hooking up the PC's and getting printers working.

I see no differences in security issues between a multi user browser based application and a multi user desktop application. In both cases you will have the databases on one machine. The PC's in both cases have to communicate with that one machine and both send data over the network to the PC requesting it (just in different forms) With a simple firewall setup on your internet to block outside access to the application server then I do not see and difference with security between the desktop and browser based. If you make you browser based application available to the internet the that is a different story.

My company currently sells a character based Unix type application for multi users (64 users is our current largest customer) and we have been looking at alpha for our replacement. I can not tell you how many hours we spend working on customers' PC's trying to install terminal software, printer server software, etc. which is one reason I am looking so hard at a browser based application where we are only responsible for the server and it's software. Browser access, windows printers, emailing, faxing would become the responsibility of the customer and their local network guy.
                Jeff you are correct.

From a programming standpoint there are some things that are more difficult on a web app vs the desktop but with the features in V10 (we are beta users)that difference will be much less. Having to update the server only is a big thing for support. A lot of customers like having the option to work from home or have there staff work from home, etc.

We have customers that are on PICK or Unix boxes and we use Alpha to give them browser based reporting etc.....more cost effective then the desktop for them too.

Desktop will still have its place but the "Intranet" is were things are going. Gives more options to the customer.

Nicholas
                Nicholas Wieland
                LedgerSuite.com Corp
                [email protected]
                http://www.ledgersuite.com

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Page View Post
                  ... I'm not trying to argue with anybody. ...the next 3 people who responded after you had absolutely no idea of this concept and continue on their misdirected thinking that IP based programming has only to do with the web!?!....

Anyways, I was just hoping that I might be able help to enlighten those that seem to think that what has been added is just for the "web". And I believe that most people have this misunderstanding as they don't really understand what IP based programming is.

....But despite what these people think of as a fad, IP based programming is HUGE, it just may not be in their current circle of knowledge. ....

This is why I was hoping to "show them the light" so to say.

Oh well.... I am excited about v10 just the same and funny enough all of my programming to date has only been using the classic tools....
                  [Emphasis added in the above]

Of course a "web based" application does not need to be run on the web at all and can easily be a private lan based app. But that is now and probably always will be a very different beast (in lots of important ways) from what you seem to be calling "classic" A5 desktop application. Many of the tools used for each are very different even though some are identical. And although a lan only based application (whether browser based or not) has its own security issues, they generally pale in comparison to the security issues you have once you move an application to the web. Bottom line is that all of us "ignorant" people have plenty of good reasons to be concerned about what is happening with desktop enhancements to Alpha Five.
                  Last edited by Raymond Lyons; 07-28-2009, 02:26 PM. Reason: Edited to remove unnecessary comment.

Comment

From a purely business standpoint I am sure that Alpha is looking at what will bring in the most "NEW" customers and do their best to keep existing customers. I think that they are thinking that with this new "no programming required" AJAX browser/web database development interface that they are hoping to get hundreds or thousands of new customers to buy their product. The desktop environment is already a good product and adding bells and whistles is good but I do not think it will bring in the same number of new customers that they are hoping for with the AJAX stuff. I am not saying at all that they should stop working on the desktop but at the same time they need to concentrate on where they think the new customers will come from but also not forget their current customer base. For a small company juggling between current and new customers is never easy.
                    Jeff Ryder

Comment

A series of new video's are available showing the new features of the re-written debugger.

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=80825
                      Jeff Ryder

Comment

For those that need some cheese to go with your whine.

The Desktop stuff is starting to be coming now!!!!!!!!!!! :p

See the videos in link above.
                        Nicholas Wieland
                        LedgerSuite.com Corp
                        [email protected]
                        http://www.ledgersuite.com

Comment

Originally posted by jaryder View Post
                          A series of new video's are available showing the new features of the re-written debugger.

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=80825
                          Yaaawwnnn... I'm on the forums every day and I don't remember anybody clamoring for a conditional breakpoints in the debugger.

Comment

JP,
                            A post in a recent thread (within the last month) actually did ask for this or similar....but you're right. Clamoring would not be the adjective used as it was the first time I have seen the request!! :)

But let's see what else is in the works for desktop --hopefully much more.
                            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Windstarsoftware View Post
                              Fo rthe last few version upgrades Alpha is still moving to Web Based apps and leaving the desktop developers behind.
                              Sorry but that's just not true. V9 was HEAVILY geared towards desktop improvements - after all you could use updateable SQL data sources for the web for some time but Active Link tables were introduced in v9 mainly for desktop usage (and indeed were until relatively recently only possible to use there and not in web grids!), as were most of the new additions in features (at least those that don't required heavy programming in Xbasic and Javascript).

Comment

From this am's release notes:

Using Grid Components in Desktop Applications - The Grid Component is an extremely feature rich control, with many features that are not possible in Alpha Five desktop applications (or at a minimum, would require extensive Xbasic and Xdialog skills to duplicate). Now, you can use Grid Components in your Desktop applications. You can embed Grid Components in Xdialogs using Action Scripting. When a Grid is embedded into an Xdialog is works without requiring the Application Server to be running.

The implications of this new feature are profound. If you are building Desktop applications, and you use Grid Components for your data entry tasks, then all of the work that you do for your Desktop applications can be used as-is should you want to port your application to the Web at some future point in time.
                                Bill Griffin
                                Parkell, Inc

Comment

Working...
                                X