Alpha Video Training

Thread: v10 : page variable that passed to target page is not recognized in the target pages.

Real Name
    Andiyanto Bun

Default v10 : page variable that passed to target page is not recognized in the target pages.

Hi V10 beta tester,

i have experience that page variable (that defined in LINK ADDRESS) that passed to target pages is not recognized by target pages, it's said property is not found. i tried this many times and only experienced it in V10 and it works fine with V9.
    here i attach component and pages and DBF file and also video (MP4 format) that record what step i have done till i get the error message, could you please test it using your v10 beta tester?

attachment file:
    AV10_DBF.ZIP => you can restore it to your local C drive and you can test it.
    AV10_VIDEO.ZIP => you can extract and try to run the video to see to get the error message.

Thanks,
    Andy

"Certified" Alphaholic Lance Gurd's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lance Gurd

Default Re: v10 : page variable that passed to target page is not recognized in the target pa

In the source on your PageTestDTL.A5w page there is the following
    Code:
    ? "session.posting is a page variable that is defined in TESTHDR Grid component on Link Address <BR>"
    ? "Link Address : PageTestDTL.a5w?session.posting={Posting}&TestDTL_link_1C=Invoice={Invoice} <BR>"
    ? "This Page variable is used to detect whether it's recognized or not by the target pages <BR>"
    ? " ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR>"
    ? "Session.posting : " + session.posting
    once I removed that your redirect seems to work

Real Name
    Andiyanto Bun

Default Re: v10 : page variable that passed to target page is not recognized in the target pa

Hi Lance,

don't remove it, it's the code to detect whether the page variable is recognized or not, in this case the page variable that sent by TESHDR Grid is "session.posting". it's why i use command ? "Session.posting : " + session.posting on pagetestDTL.a5w to show the value of session.posting variable.

regards,
    Andy

? "session.posting is a page variable that is defined in TESTHDR Grid component on Link Address <BR>"
    ? "Link Address : PageTestDTL.a5w?session.posting={Posting}&TestDTL_link_1C=Invoice={Invoice} <BR>"
    ? "This Page variable is used to detect whether it's recognized or not by the target pages <BR>"
    ? " ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR>"
    ? "Session.posting : " + session.posting

Real Name
    Steve Wood

I tested out your app. Using your own grid, v10 passes page variables just fine. However, the link DOES NOT create a session variable or populate a session variable.

If you alter your link by removing the word 'session.', the remaining page variable 'posting' will get passed to the called page.

PageTestDTL.a5w?posting={Posting}&TestDTL_link_1C=Invoice={Invoice}

The page variable named 'posting' will be accurate.

On the target page (PageTestDTL.A5W) you can use this syntax to populate a session variable on your target page if you want:

if eval_valid("posting")
    ? "show posting value: " + posting
    session.posting = posting
    ? "<br>show session.posting value: " + session.posting
    end if

Now, it's the fact the you are trying to populate the session variable in the link. If you construct a URL such as the following and directly enter it in the browser address bar, it WILL populate the session variable with the assigned value:

PageTestDTL.a5w?session.posting=mynewvalue

It just won't do it when executed as a link from the grid.

To me this is entirely appropriate. There is no need to try to create or populate a session variable by executing a link, and this was never good practice if it worked in V9. I've never done it in 15+ web apps.

In your example it is redundant to create a session variable unless you need to retain this information for some process far away from this target page (and was not part of your download example).
    Last edited by Steve Wood; 07-30-2009 at 07:42 AM.
    Steve Wood
    Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
    There is no Cloud. It's just someone else's computer.
    Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
    AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)