Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Set problem, corrupt .SEM file, disappearing indexes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Set problem, corrupt .SEM file, disappearing indexes

I�m at a real loss as to what to do.

I have a set where the .SEM file appears to be corrupt. The set works fine until it is shadowed, and then the shadow comes up with errors when trying to open the set or a form linked to the set. The error says �Error adding relation child �MSQUAWK�: No such field�.

I opened up the .SEM file with WordPad and I did a search for msquawk. I found this:

Code:
    SquawkTotalTitle{   if(alltrim(Msquawk->Itemno)="","","Item #"+alltrim(Msquawk->It         � �'
    This appears to be a calculated field in a report. I can�t determine which report, but as best as I can tell, only two reports use this calculated field.

I opened the reports and these calculated fields look fine with no errors or misspellings. Each report runs fine. I tried rebuilding the calculated field in these reports and did numerous database compacts with no good results.

Also, all the indexes are being deleted to this set. The indexes are built referencing the header table. The msquawk table is a child table. There are only six fields in the msquawk table, one being �itemno�.

This would be a nightmare to have to rebuild this set and the reports. Plus it�s the invoicing portion of this application, and it�s been running very well for years.

I will appreciate any input anyone may have.
    TIA

Ron
    Alpha 5 Version 11
    AA Build 2999, Build 4269, Current Build
    DBF's and MySql
    Desktop, Web on the Desktop and WEB

Ron Anusiewicz

Re: Set problem, corrupt .SEM file, disappearing indexes

Ron, after safely backing up everything one more time, does the problem go away if you restore the set's dictionaries from an earlier "good" backup?

Comment

Tom,

Thank you for your reply.

We have made changes to the application, but not to that set, and each time I assign a new build number. I have gone back three builds for now, but I'm not certain if the problem has been cured. This problem showed up about a week after the upgrade to the latest build.

The strange thing is that everything was working fine for a week before something somehow became corrupted. And then it seems to be only the shadowed database that has the corruption problem. Running the application directly from the data files is "OK".

I'm not sure what is causing the indexes to be deleted as there is no error messages when Alpha deletes the indexes.

When I get the error message 'no such field', it would be much more helpful if somehow the error message could give the name of the missing field. As of right now, I can't even edit the set when I get that message, but only the shadow. I can open the set using the data files, but there is nothing wrong, no errors.
      Alpha 5 Version 11
      DBF's and MySql

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

At this point, my frustration is running very high.

Whenever I have Alpha 5 shadow a fully functioning database application, something is becoming corrupt and it has to do with the indexes. Using the tools provided by Alpha 5 to compare indexes and rebuild indexes, I am now getting the attached error message.

The spelling in the error message is correct and the two fields referenced indeed do exist.

When I first shadow the application, everything works "OK". Then either something happens to have alpha delete the indexes to one table, or the user rebuilds the indexes. After that, the invoicing form cannot be loaded. If the user rebuilds the indexes again, then the invoicing form can be loaded. This only happens on the shadowed database.

The error message appears to be generated when the following script is running:

Code:
        'Date Created: 09-Aug-2009 09:58:40 AM
        'Last Updated: 15-Aug-2009 10:07:30 AM
        'Created By  : Ron
        'Updated By  : Ron

'invoice indexes
        tblName = "minv_hdr2"

dim idxNameList[6] as C
        idxNameList.initialize(<<%lst%
        Billingnam
        Invoice_No
        Inv_No2
        N_Number
        Transno
        Wonumb
        %lst%)

DIM idxDefList[6] as C
        idxDefList.initialize(<<%lst%
        ALLTRIM(BILLINGNAME)+WO_NO
        INV_NO
        INV_NO,"PAID<>'Y'"
        N_NUMBER+" "+INV_NO
        TRANSNO,"","U"
        wo_no
        %lst%)

FOR i = 1 TO 6
        	idxName = idxNameList[i]
        	idxDef = idxDefList[i]

dim idxTbl as p
        	'if the index 'idxName' is missing from the 'tblName' table, add it
        	idxtbl = table.open(tblName,FILE_RW_SHARED)
        	on error goto index_missing
        	indx = idxtbl.index_get(idxName)
        	on error goto 0
        	IF indx.name_get() <> idxName THEN
        		goto index_missing
        	END IF
        	continue:
        	idxTbl.close()
        next

END

index_missing:
        vIndexError = .T.
        SELECT
        	CASE idxName = "Billingnam"
        		indx = idxtbl.index_tag_add(idxName,"ALLTRIM(BILLINGNAME)+WO_NO","","")
        	CASE idxName = "Invoice_no"
        		indx = idxtbl.index_tag_add(idxName,"INV_NO","","")
        	CASE idxName = "Inv_No1"
        		indx = idxtbl.index_tag_add(idxName,"INV_NO","","U")
        	CASE idxName = "Inv_No2"
        		indx = idxtbl.index_tag_add(idxName,"INV_NO","PAID<>\"Y\"","")
        	CASE idxName = "N_Number"
        		indx = idxtbl.index_tag_add(idxName,"N_NUMBER+\" \"+INV_NO","","")
        	CASE idxName = "Transno"
        		indx = idxtbl.index_tag_add(idxName,"transno","","U")
        	CASE idxName = "Wonumb"
        		indx = idxtbl.index_tag_add(idxName,"wo_no","","")
        	CASE else
        		indx = idxtbl.index_tag_add(idxName,idxDef)
        END SELECT

goto continue
        I've attached the structure of the table where the indexes are being deleted. I've attached a view of the indexes. I did try deleting the one filtered index and that did not correct the problem.

Maybe a different set of eyes can see something that I'm missing. By the way, the structure and indexes have been in use for years and no changes were made to either. One day everything was working, then the next day, something was broke.

Thank you,

Ron
        Alpha 5 Version 11
        DBF's and MySql

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

Ron,
          Once again, a few of us have warned about using field names greater than 10 characters. Many have stated it has never been a problem.

What I have found with ever version since v5 is that when something happens that Alpha cannot resolve or some script crashes (especially in development), that the field names greater than 10 can be truncated....if you know the original names, add them back and all will be fine. Your Billingname is missing the 11th character "e" in the third screenshot.
          Mike

Comment

Hi Mike and thank you for your reply.

In the third screen shot, 'Billingnam' is the name of the index and I purposely dropped the "e" so the name of the index would only be 10 characters long.

I'm aware of the problems with long names of indexes. But I can honestly say that I wasn't aware of problems with long file names.

Ron
            Alpha 5 Version 11
            DBF's and MySql

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

problems with long file names
              The issue can occur in either place or both. Sounds like this was not the problem in your case...bummer.
              Mike

Comment

Out of curiosity, I checked the fields and indexes in Alpha Sports.

I found one field that was 24 characters long and one index that was 15 characters long.

I've seen the problems with the indexes being truncated, but not the field names.
                Alpha 5 Version 11
                DBF's and MySql

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

Ron, I see that one of your indextag definitions employs a filter. I wonder if your problem disappears if you stop using filtered indexes?

I also see that your index rebuild script defines tags for 6 indexes, but the Select ... End Select code block seems to be expecting 7 or more. What's the definition for tag "Inv_No1" ?

Is the "Inv_No1" tag used anywhere in the app? i.e. do you have a script that tries to set an undefined index primary?

-- tom

Comment

Hi Tom and Thank You for your reply,

I tried deleting the index with the filter and it did not make any difference.

Thanks for pointing out the errors in the script. After hours and numerous redesigns, I have managed to streamline and bulletproof the rebuilding of missing indexes.

Unfortunately, I'm back to square one where: Only when running the application shadowed, something is deleting all the indexes to this one table. There are no warnings, they are just gone. I can open the form, close the form, try to reopen the form then I get a error message about the set. Close the application and reopen the application, the indexes are automatically rebuilt and the form opens.

If I could just find out what's trashing all the indexes, I'm sure I could fix the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas???

TIA
                    Alpha 5 Version 11
                    DBF's and MySql

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

Ron, what's different about the troubled workstation? Operating system? video display hardware acceleration? runtime build number? RAM? Network connection? Normal font sizes?

If other machines on the network can run the shadowed app just fine, then it seems to mee the problem lies within the troubled machine or the devices used to connect to the server from that machine.

Comment

Hi Tom,

I'm able to duplicate this problem on my own computer at home. None of the hardware has been changed recently. When the problem occurs, I can't even open the default form or for that matter, the set to look at the definition.

Again, I did a search of the set's sem file and I found what looks to be a reference to a truncated file name. This is in a calculated field that is used in the invoice (which is a report). See the attached picture.

Again, this only happens to the shadow database. Running the application directly from the database, no problems whatsoever. That's what made this so tricky was that the issue didn't show up until the application was shadowed and even then, it wasn't right away.
                        Alpha 5 Version 11
                        DBF's and MySql

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

Ron,

Are you using non-alphanumerics in your field names?

I see a reference to "Item #" in the image you posted. I don't think the pound sign is permitted.

-- tom

Comment

No, that is not a field name. As best as I can tell, the segment in the previous post is a truncated portion of a calculated field. See attached.
                            Alpha 5 Version 11
                            DBF's and MySql

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

Ron, am I correct in assuming that all the workstations work fine after network optimization except for one on the client network and your home machine? what do the two troubled machines have in common?

Comment

Working...
                              X