Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Protecting your work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protecting your work

Most of my work in alpha has been for the company i work in and its published on our local intranet with some exceptions of custom applications I have developed for external clients.

Normally in Custom applications there is no need for very high protection of your work because they are built for a very specific task for a specific company.

But now I am building an application targeted to alpha developers (a calendar app), I want to make this application very flexible so users (developers) can personalize it but still I want to protect my work, this project consists basically on some tables, 1 grid for customizing, 3 grids for entering data, a flash plug-in and some code in a5w pages (this last ones I want to protect).

The thing here is I need some advise on how can I protect my work without limiting the user too much, any experiences that you can share with this forum will be greatly appreciated.

Mauricio
    Last edited by mmaisterrena; 08-06-2009, 10:18 AM.
    Cheers
    Mauricio

Re: Protecting your work

Originally posted by mmaisterrena View Post
    Most of my work in alpha has been for the company i work in and its published on our local intranet with some exceptions of custom applications I have developed for external clients.

Normally in Custom applications there is no need for very high protection of your work because they are built for a very specific task for a specific company.

But now I am building an application targeted to alpha developers (a calendar app), I want to make this application very flexible so users (developers) can personalize it but still I want to protect my work, this project consists basically on some tables, 1 grid for customizing, 3 grids for entering data, a flash plug-in and some code in a5w pages (this last ones I want to protect).

The thing here is I need some advise on how can I protect my work without limiting the user too much, any experiences that you can share with this forum will be greatly appreciated.

Mauricio
    See earlier post on subject projecting your apps (encrypt>.

Comment

Hi Mauricio,

It seems to me the only way you can do this is to wrap your design up into an application that needs to unpacked, but needs a unique unlock key to open it first before installation.

Just a quick thought for a possible direction.
      Regards
      Keith Hubert
      Alpha Guild Member
      London.
      KHDB Management Systems
      Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

A Tamper-Proof, Copy-Proof, Stupid-Proof WAS Application?

I've worked up a protection scheme to prevent unauthorized access to just about every single thing required to run a WAS application. The concept also lends itself well to copy protection (automatically, without any coding requirement on your part, you can "piggy-back" off the Alpha Five licensing system) by having the application keyed to the unique WAS installation. All a5w, html, .dbf, third-party components, and other pages/files are inaccessible outside the WAS. And, in fact, for purposes of the demo (limited to the next two days and around five runs), an unauthorized person - even one with physical access to the server - has no ability to configure (or reconfigure) the server settings or view any of the inner workings. At least I couldn't find a way to alter settings as an "unauthorized person".

The setup is available for download at http://dc140.4shared.com/download/13...43303-698703e8 and will create a directory c:\program files\AlphaSportsWebV8. In the directory, you'll see an executable, AlphaSports.exe; that's the launcher. If you run into "WAS not licensed", just wait 30 mins or so - someone else is probably running the app. It randomly selects one of several licenses and deactivates upon exit, so hopefully that won't be an issue.

This has been tested ONLY on Windows XP. I haven't checked for Vista UAC quirks just yet. The application is a preconfigured instance of the AlphaFiveSportsWebV8 web application. Please note: it's configured to run on Port 81 (not port 80). Try to change it if you can. ;) {remapping external ports through a router, etc., is cheating} Better yet, try to change the Document Root directory.

All are welcome to take a look, pick at the seams, and tell me what (if anything) you can see or alter from an unauthorized user perspective. The same techniques can be used for Desktop Applications (also hides "license.key"). The only differences between a Web Application deployment and a Desktop Application deployment are: 1) No need for Webroot; and, 2) different licensing scheme is employed.

For my own deployments, my setup automatically configures the application as a FireDaemon service - but I didn't include that in this configuration.

For uninstallation, simply delete the AlphaSportsWebV8 directory and all contents.

Comment

Mauricio,

All you need it to review how to compile the code you have in your A5W page as an AEX file. THen you include the AEX file with your app, and instead of the actual code, you include a function in your A5W page that decompiles that file at run time, never reveals the code.
          Steve Wood
          See my profile on IADN

Comment

jon,

The install fails on my XPSP2 computer.
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve,

Thanks for taking a look. I apologize for any difficulty you're experiencing - I had performed multiple (ad nauseam, actually) installations and runs prior to uploading. I want to get this resolved for you.

My tests were done on a clean XP SP3 installation... can't imagine there's much relevant difference from SP2. I did code messages for a few potential installation issues. Was any error message displayed? Corruption of the installation package itself, perhaps during download?

I have just downloaded the package (corruption check) and performed install and launch on clean platform without error. The packaged WAS fired right up. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any rights or directory issues that would come into play for you during your installation process. I rely only on %PROGRAMFILES% for nearly everything.

I will eagerly explore your installation issue, coding additional status messages if necessary.
              Last edited by fsi; 09-05-2009, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Running the app after install attempt produces a dialog with "Instalation error S01.

The contents of the error dialog _during_ installation is below:

CPU: GenuineIntel, Intel Pentium III, MMX @ 2590 MHz

Module name: C:\Program Files\alphasportswebv8\alphasports.exe

Application data:
                VmVyc2lvbjogV2tCdWNtdGlWM1JxZDNKMVdpc29VemtuTXpoV0p5d0J
                CMVk4SURzdmNtVjRmWFl5SXlFNkppTTFWSE5qZGtVME9VSjdmblp5Y2
                tFeg0KSW1hZ2VCYXNlOiAwMDQwMDAwMA0KRWlwOiBBMzYwMkMNCkVhe
                DogMA0KRWN4OiAyDQpFZHg6IDANCkVieDogQUExNTg4DQpFc2k6IEIx
                NUJFOA0KRWRpOiBCMTVCRTgNCkVicDogMTJGRUUwDQpFc3A6IDEyRkV
                BQw0KRXJyb3JDb2RlOiANCjg5LDM0LDgyLEZGLDQzLDFDLDVFLDVCLE
                MzLDhELDQwLDAsQjksMSwwLDAsMCxFOCwyLDAsMCwwLEMzLDkwLDUzL
                DU2LDU3LDhCLEY5LDhCLEYyLDhCLEQ4LDg1LEZGLDdFLDQyLDg1LEY2
                LDdDLDUsM0IsNzMsMUMsN0MsQSw2OCxBMCw2MCxBMywwLDAuLi4NCkN
                vZGUgPSBbMjI4XQ0KLSAwDQotIDANCi0gMA0KLSAxDQotIDANCi0gW1
                0NCj4gQzpcUHJvZ3JhbSBGaWxlc1xhbHBoYXNwb3J0c3dlYnY4XGFsc
                Ghhc3BvcnRzLmV4ZQ0KPiBDOlxXSU5ET1dTXHN5c3RlbTMyXG50ZGxs
                LmRsbA0KPiBDOlxXSU5ET1dTXHN5c3RlbTMyXGtlcm5lbDMyLmRsbA0
                KPiBDOlxXSU5ET1dTXHN5c3RlbTMyXHVzZXIzMi5kbGwNCj4gQzpcV0
                lORE9XU1xzeXN0ZW0zMlxHREkzMi5kbGwNCj4gQzpcV0lORE9XU1xze
                XN0ZW0zMlxhZHZhcGkzMi5kbGwNCj4gQzpcV0lORE9XU1xzeXN0ZW0z
                MlxSUENSVDQuZGxsDQo+IEM6XFdJTkRPV1Ncc3lzdGVtMzJcU2VjdXI
                zMi5kbGwNCj4gQzpcV0lORE9XU1xzeXN0ZW0zMlxvbGVhdXQzMi5kbG
                wNCj4gQzpcV0lORE9XU1xzeXN0ZW0zMlxtc3ZjcnQuZGxsDQo+IEM6X
                FdJTkRPV1Ncc3lzdGVtMzJcb2xlMzIuZGxsDQo+IEM6XFdJTkRPV1Nc
                c3lzdGVtMzJcdmVyc2lvbi5kbGwNCj4gQzpcV0lORE9XU1xzeXN0ZW0
                zMlxjb21jdGwzMi5kbGwNCj4gQzpcV0lORE9XU1xzeXN0ZW0zMlxzaG
                VsbDMyLmRsbA0KPiBDOlxXSU5ET1dTXHN5c3RlbTMyXFNITFdBUEkuZ
                GxsDQo+IEM6XFdJTkRPV1Ncc3lzdGVtMzJcY29tZGxnMzIuZGxsDQo+
                IEM6XFdJTkRPV1Ncc3lzdGVtMzJcSU1NMzIuRExMDQo+IEM6XFdJTkR
                PV1NcV2luU3hTXHg4Nl9NaWNyb3NvZnQuV2luZG93cy5Db21tb24tQ2
                9udHJvbHNfNjU5NWI2NDE0NGNjZjFkZl82LjAuMjYwMC4yOTgyX3gtd
                3dfYWMzZjljMDNcY29tY3RsMzIuZGxsDQo+IEM6XFdJTkRPV1Ncc3lz
                dGVtMzJcd3NvY2szMi5kbGwNCj4gQzpcV0lORE9XU1xzeXN0ZW0zMlx
                XUzJfMzIuZGxsDQo+IEM6XFdJTkRPV1Ncc3lzdGVtMzJcV1MySEVMUC
                5kbGwNCj4gQzpcV0lORE9XU1xzeXN0ZW0zMlx1eHRoZW1lLmRsbA0KP
                iBDOlxXSU5ET1dTXHN5c3RlbTMyXE1TQ1RGLmRsbA0KPiBDOlxXSU5E
                T1dTXHN5c3RlbTMyXG1zY3RmaW1lLmltZQ==
                Steve Wood
                See my profile on IADN

Comment

Thanks, Steve. The "S01" tells me what I need to know. Researching.

Don't suppose you've got an alternate machine to try it on?

[update some 30mins later]: I was not able to reproduce error on XP, attempted install on clean Vista in the hope it would be finicky. Nope. Installed and ran fine. (not what I'd hoped for) Still clueless on your install, Steve, but investigating.

[an hour later] You're not running XP 64-bit by any chance, are you? That would do it. I neglected to mention this installation package is for 32-bit only.
                  Last edited by fsi; 09-05-2009, 12:46 PM.

Comment

I get the same error as Steve.

CPU: GenuineIntel, Intel Pentium 4, MMX @ 5920 MHz

Module name: C:\Program Files\alphasportswebv8\alphasports.exe

Application data:
                    VmVyc2lvbjogV2tCdWNtdGlWM1JxZDNKMVdpc29VemtuTXpoV0p5d0J
                    CMVk4SURzdmNtVjRmWFl5SXlFNkppTTFWSE5qZGtVME9VSjdmblp5Y2
                    tFeg0KSW1hZ2VCYXNlOiAwMDQwMDAwMA0KRWlwOiBBMzYwMkMNCkVhe
                    DogMA0KRWN4OiAyDQpFZHg6IDANCkVieDogQUExNTg4DQpFc2k6IEIx
                    NUJFOA0KRWRpOiBCMTVCRTgNCkVicDogMTJGRUUwDQpFc3A6IDEyRkV
                    BQw0KRXJyb3JDb2RlOiANCjg5LDM0LDgyLEZGLDQzLDFDLDVFLDVCLE
                    MzLDhELDQwLDAsQjksMSwwLDAsMCxFOCwyLDAsMCwwLEMzLDkwLDUzL
                    DU2LDU3LDhCLEY5LDhCLEYyLDhCLEQ4LDg1LEZGLDdFLDQyLDg1LEY2
                    LDdDLDUsM0IsNzMsMUMsN0MsQSw2OCxBMCw2MCxBMywwLDAuLi4NCkN
                    vZGUgPSBbMjI4XQ0KLSAwDQotIDANCi0gMA0KLSAxDQotIDANCi0gW1
                    0NCj4gQzpcUHJvZ3JhbSBGaWxlc1xhbHBoYXNwb3J0c3dlYnY4XGFsc
                    Ghhc3BvcnRzLmV4ZQ0KPiBDOlxXSU5ET1dTXHN5c3RlbTMyXG50ZGxs
                    LmRsbA0KPiBDOlxXSU5ET1dTXHN5c3RlbTMyXGtlcm5lbDMyLmRsbA0
                    KPiBDOlxXSU5ET1dTXHN5c3RlbTMyXHVzZXIzMi5kbGwNCj4gQzpcV0
                    lORE9XU1xzeXN0ZW0zMlxHREkzMi5kbGwNCj4gQzpcV0lORE9XU1xze
                    XN0ZW0zMlxhZHZhcGkzMi5kbGwNCj4gQzpcV0lORE9XU1xzeXN0ZW0z
                    MlxSUENSVDQuZGxsDQo+IEM6XFdJTkRPV1Ncc3lzdGVtMzJcU2VjdXI
                    zMi5kbGwNCj4gQzpcV0lORE9XU1xzeXN0ZW0zMlxvbGVhdXQzMi5kbG
                    wNCj4gQzpcV0lORE9XU1xzeXN0ZW0zMlxtc3ZjcnQuZGxsDQo+IEM6X
                    FdJTkRPV1Ncc3lzdGVtMzJcb2xlMzIuZGxsDQo+IEM6XFdJTkRPV1Nc
                    c3lzdGVtMzJcdmVyc2lvbi5kbGwNCj4gQzpcV0lORE9XU1xzeXN0ZW0
                    zMlxjb21jdGwzMi5kbGwNCj4gQzpcV0lORE9XU1xzeXN0ZW0zMlxzaG
                    VsbDMyLmRsbA0KPiBDOlxXSU5ET1dTXHN5c3RlbTMyXFNITFdBUEkuZ
                    GxsDQo+IEM6XFdJTkRPV1Ncc3lzdGVtMzJcY29tZGxnMzIuZGxsDQo+
                    IEM6XFdJTkRPV1Ncc3lzdGVtMzJcSU1NMzIuRExMDQo+IEM6XFdJTkR
                    PV1NcV2luU3hTXHg4Nl9NaWNyb3NvZnQuV2luZG93cy5Db21tb24tQ2
                    9udHJvbHNfNjU5NWI2NDE0NGNjZjFkZl82LjAuMjYwMC4yOTgyX3gtd
                    3dfYWMzZjljMDNcY29tY3RsMzIuZGxsDQo+IEM6XFdJTkRPV1Ncc3lz
                    dGVtMzJcd3NvY2szMi5kbGwNCj4gQzpcV0lORE9XU1xzeXN0ZW0zMlx
                    XUzJfMzIuZGxsDQo+IEM6XFdJTkRPV1Ncc3lzdGVtMzJcV1MySEVMUC
                    5kbGwNCj4gQzpcV0lORE9XU1xTWVNURU0zMlx1eHRoZW1lLmRsbA0KP
                    iBDOlxXSU5ET1dTXHN5c3RlbTMyXE1TQ1RGLmRsbA0KPiBDOlxQcm9n
                    cmFtIEZpbGVzXE9tbmlQYWdlUHJvOTBcb3Bob29rMzIuZGxsDQoNCkN
                    hZXJlIENvcnBvcmF0aW9uDQpPQ1IgQXdhcmUgSG9vayAoMzItYml0KQ
                    0KOS4wDQpvcGhvb2szMi5kbGwNCkNvcHlyaWdodCCpIDE5OTYtMTk5O
                    CBDYWVyZSBDb3Jwb3JhdGlvbg0KT1BIT09LMzIuRExMDQo5LjANCk9t
                    bmlQYWdlIFBybw0KDQo+IEM6XFdJTkRPV1Ncc3lzdGVtMzJcbXNjdGZ
                    pbWUuaW1l

Bill.

Comment

The GUID you provided in the PM is found in the registry under local machine for services, SolDisk and SolFS.
                      Steve Wood
                      See my profile on IADN

Comment

I've finally coaxed an error out of a P3 machine.

Comment

The updated A5.Secure.DB installation package can be downloaded from:
                          http://www.4shared.com/file/13085221...309/SETUP.html

Download and run. Successful installation will create a directory "Program Files\A5.Secure.DB" and automatically launch the encapsulated Web Server as well as the Alpha Five Sports Web V8 application. Once the server is running, open your browser to http://localhost:81 (not port 80) and you should see the home page - unless you have something else running on port 81. As this is a fully functioning WAS, you can also access the application from other networked PCs.

Please note that, while you have "physical access" to the Web Server, you are prevented from seeing, tampering with, or copying any required component. Take a look at the application directory. You can't see the a5w pages; you can't tamper with the html files, you can't alter configuration.

As this is a fully functional (and licensed) server, you are denied access to configuration - as this would essentially be giving away my WAS license(s) for free! So of course I must prevent that. This is a good example of how a fully functional and licensed WAS and application can be deployed for evaluation by a prospective customer. The prospect is prevented from viewing/tamper/copying/licensing your eval. This eval is designed to time-out on Sep 8 (or was it the 9th?). It is also launch-limited and will expire at around the 4th launch.

All of this is done with zero additional work/coding to the Alpha Five application. The same concept can be applied to Desktop applications as well (protect "license.key").

Please also read the pdf attached to this post.
                          Last edited by fsi; 09-07-2009, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
                            Mauricio,

All you need it to review how to compile the code you have in your A5W page as an AEX file. THen you include the AEX file with your app, and instead of the actual code, you include a function in your A5W page that decompiles that file at run time, never reveals the code.
                            Steve do I have to Encrypt the AEX file?
                            Cheers
                            Mauricio

Comment

An AEX file doesn't need encryption - it's unreadable gobbledygook.
                              -Steve
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X