Alpha Video Training

Thread: Where is Form Script Favorites stored ?

Real Name
    Dave Mac Callum

Default Where is Form Script Favorites stored ?

Hi there,

I have a form onto which I created Script Favorites. Works fine

After a few days development, I realized that my Favorites were missing. Just disappeared !!

I had renamed my Form adding an underscore rather than a space. Maybe this had something to do with it.

Can anyone tell me where these scripts are stored ? Hoping i can copy them from a backup to my current version.

Looking forward
    Dave Mac

It's not so much what you don't know that gets you into trouble, but what you know for sure, that just ain't so. - Mark Twain.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Mike Christensen

Default Re: Where is Form Script Favorites stored ?

Dave,
    From what I can tell, once a form has been renamed, the favorites list is gone...renaming back does not help. Even duplicating the form does not maintain the favorites list which I was surprised by (a wishlist item perhaps?). There is no separate file created that I have found either in the database folder or in the registry so must be tied directly to the form name.

But why not just choose the scripts again to put into the favorites list?
    Mike

Real Name
    Dave Mac Callum

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
    Dave,
    But why not just choose the scripts again to put into the favorites list?
    Thanks for your quick response, Mike.

I was resigned to have to do just that.

Was hoping someone out there had a copy/paste way around it

Well, here goes - might as well get it over with
    Dave Mac

It's not so much what you don't know that gets you into trouble, but what you know for sure, that just ain't so. - Mark Twain.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Dave, I'd be grateful if you'd take a moment and tell us how you use the Script Favorites feature. Thanks.

Real Name
    Dave Mac Callum

Hi Mike,

Attaching a db where I use script favorites on Form Administration Selection.

I use them to remind me what script is about and to assist the User.

When I included an Image Name icon in the selected script it displayed only the icon and not the Description, so i excluded icons so as to see the description.
    I eventually ran out of space, so included the icons in the last few scripts and rely on the "bubble" help description.

Tried to get indents going in submenus, but no luck ??

Maybe you can advise if there are any improvements I can make.

PS. I rebuilt the Scripts, and all was going well until the very end when I suddenly got a split screen !! Screen had Form on right-hand side and a single Favorite on the Top Left. Don't know what the hell is going here or what I did. I will sent you the result in a few minutes. Maybe you can suggest something to save me have to spend a few more hours reconstructing.
    Dave Mac

Real Name
    Dave Mac Callum

Here is the latest "Split Screen"

Any Ideas how I get back to previous display format ?
    Dave Mac

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Mike Christensen

Hi Dave,
    Apparently you have gone into unseen territory for many here (including myself!). I took a look and apparently you are actually talking about the script favorites Toolbar. All you did to get the split screen was drag it off the screen and then it becomes a static box alongside your form. Just get the crossed arrows again on the toolbar and drag it back and it will become a floating toolbar again. All the toolbars act this way.

I may not have time to fiddle with the submenu--no clue yet what indents you are referring to so would have to learn that also!! :)
    Mike

Real Name
    Dave Mac Callum

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
    All the toolbars act this way.
    Thanks for the help. One can learn something new every day
    Dave Mac

Real Name
    Paul Verboom

Found this Thread when I ran into this exact problem. I renamed my form and lost all by Script Favorites. I had 21 of them all with carefully selected icons. A lot going on in this form So knowing a bit about how Alpha5 stores its stuff I dug in.

What follows is how I recovered my Script Favorites. Proceed at your own risk and only after doing a backup. This process can drastically mess up your database.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

The script favorites are stored with information for the table or set that they are defined for. Like much of the other configuration information you create in alpha 5 is stored in DBF tables that carry the same name as your TABLE or SET. The these are standard DBF files just with unique extensions. Search the ALPHA5 help for Alpha Five File Types for full details.

The easiest and safest way to work with these files is to make copies of the .SET and .SEM files using the standard ALPHA5 extensions .DBF and .FPT respectively. If you are working with a single table then the extensions are .DDD and .DDM. Add the resulting table to your current database and then open the table in ALPAH5.

If you have not created any new Script Favorites your old script favorites will still exist as a deleted record. Using the Script Utilities menu I undeleted all the records in this new table, (right click on the new table you added to A5 to get at this menu option).

Examining the the table after this undelete I found the record of with the TYPE field set to FRM9. In the memo field was my all my carefully titled scripts and selected icons. I copied the contents of this MEMO field to a text editor.

Next I deleted these copies of the .SET and .SEM files as had the information I needed.

I went into the form in question and created a single Script Favorite so a new FRM9 record would be created.

I made copies of the .SET and .SEM again and opened them in A5 as before. This time I found the FRM9 record and edited with the information I had saved in a text editor.

The altered .SET and .SEM file where copied back over the the original files and Presto all my script favorites are back.

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Nicely Done
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Good information.

I'd add that I keep the .DDD, .DDM, and the .DDX (as well as the .SET, .SEM ,.SEX) connected at the hip and never split them.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.