Alpha Video Training

Thread: new records for no reason

Real Name
    Mark Pearson

Default new records for no reason

I have a table that I have repeatedly deleted the records and compacted, but every time I open a view based on that table I get three new records the first time only. I cannot see any reason. The form view is a simply view with a browse built on a table based on the form. The browse view is read only so it cannot create a new record. When you click the button to go to the view it is set to do nothing

When I zap and compact I have confirmed the table has no records. The Field rules only has one field to auto increment. Can any one please shed some light on this?

Real Name
    Mark Pearson

Default Re: new records for no reason

I think I found the issue. While the browse view was read only, the form had no restrictions. Although I was not loading the view with any special requirements (like create new) it just seemed to always create three new records the first time after a delete and compact. I ticked all the restrictions to the form and the problem has gone away. I can see no rationale behind this but it has worked so one must be happy.

Real Name
    Geoff Meredith

Mark - I have seen this as well.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Mark, the lingo is a bit different in Alpha speak. One can "pack" a table. One can "compact" a database. One cannot "compact" a table.

When you open a form when your table is empty, Alpha automatically goes into "ENTER" mode. The form will then automatically "save" the pending new record according to Alpha's built in default behaviors. When you set the form level restrictions you are changing the default behaviors for the form.

Because the form is automatically "bound" to the underlying table(s) , each time you open a form you open a new instance of the table in memory. As a result I've found it best to "pack" tables when their related forms are closed.

Also, be aware that packing requires exclusive access to the table so you should plan on trapping "can't open" table errors when running in a multi-user environament. If anyone else has a form open that is supported by your table your script will fail. The reverse is also true. If someone tries to open a form while your pack table script is running they will have trouble.

For these reasons many would place "packing" into a collection of "maintenance" routines that get run only when the administrator has control of the environment.

Real Name
    Mark Pearson

Default Thanks

This problem all started a few threads back. Initially it related to being able to opening a maximise form and then subequent forms as modlal. I couldn't get the modless report menu unless all forms were modless. Thanks to to this forum I tweeked to get a similar look and get the form menu properly. In the first instance I also used an xdialog but had to do away with it as it was modal too. So in order to get the effect I used a form in modless to simulate what I was doing in one of my steps with the xdialog. Hence this thread on record creation problem. If there were no records I really did not want one created at this point. Now that I have been able to tweek the views to get my effect, I have actually been able to go back to the xdialog approach.

Just want to thank all the help given as I am one step closer to my resolve. Proves the woth forum

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Mike Christensen

Just a FYI--
    I also used an xdialog but had to do away with it as it was modal too.
    You can create a modeless xdialog as well.
    Mike