Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Problem with "set field value" action script

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with "set field value" action script

Problem with "set field value" action script. I am working in beta v10. A desktop application I created in v9 now doesn't work.

I select a record in a browse, then click a button that executes the actionscript. The "set field value" actionscript works only the first time it is executed. Selecting other records in the browse and clicking the actionscript the "set field value" actionscript doesnt set the field.

The conversion to xbasic, the xbasic is (parentform:Select.value = .T.) This application has work with "set field value." I have gone to a backup a month old and have the same Problem. I believe this is a bug in the v10 updates I have been applying. Anyone else having the problem?

Re: Problem with "set field value" action script

Hi Bob,

Without me having to build an app to test your problem, could you post a sample here for us to test.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

I, and a few others, have had issues with the "set field value" and have gone to the Objects Properties (Set and Get)--->Set Properties of Object(s) and have yet to have any problems. What was happening in my case was the value would not always be set....and this is going back to version 5. I have not been able to find a way to replicate the issue to submit as a bug.
      Mike

Comment

Mike,

Under what circumstances are they not always setting??

I have an app that this is done to about 30 fields up to 1300++ times a day and there has been no report of a miss anywhere from ver 5 to ver 9???

I would appreciate knowing!

Dave Mason
        [email protected]
        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

That's the problem Dave...it is not consistent enough to submit as a bug. I still do have some "Set Field Values" in use and they are not a problem. It has been in development that the issues have manifested and the only cure for the problem ones has been to use the alternative Object Properties (Set and Get) which I prefer now as it does what Set Field Values does and much more. And now that I simply do not use it (Set Field Values) anymore, I have not had the frustration of what I found to be hit or miss as to whether it would "stick" or not---most times it would work first time....but then fail at a later time. Was just easier to move to the other method than figure it out.
          Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike, I'll use the Object Properties (Set and Get) . As a note, it seems to always work when the application is executed under the v9 run module. I get it to fail everytime in the v10 developement module.

Comment

Mike, FYI, I just tried the Object Properties (Set and Get) action and I still get the same problem. Works the first time only. Back to the drawing board...

Bob

Comment

seems to always work when the application is executed under the v9 run module. I get it to fail everytime in the v10 developement module.
                This indicates that something changed in v10---whether it is a bug or that Alpha tightened up how it renders the code which will cause "iffy" scripts to fail (scripts that should have failed in earlier versions but didn't). I would submit a bug report to see what Alpha says.
                Mike

Comment

Here is the sample Bob is having the problem with. For some unknown reason he was unable to post it himself.

I have looked at the sample and can confirm what is happening but am at a loss as to what needs to be done to fix it.

I am working with V10 beta.
                  Regards
                  Keith Hubert
                  Alpha Guild Member
                  London.
                  KHDB Management Systems
                  Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Keith,

I am not seeing the same thing. Everything looks like it is functioning fine.

See attached video.
                    Bill Griffin
                    Parkell, Inc

Comment

I do not have v10, but perhaps Alpha is confused with the use of .this or even the eval statement? I always go back to the most basic when having issues to see where something stops or isn't working. Try using inline xbasic and put in the following instead--keeps it simple.
                      Code:
                      parentform:Browse1:Select.value = .T.
                      parentform:Browse1:Emaildate.value = date()
                      Mike

Comment

I am also seeing strange behaviour. Using version 2429_3345.

I can get the Select column to update each time but most times the record pointer moves making a different record active before the date column gets updated So with one push of a button the current record has the Select set to true but some other random record has the date updated.

Definitely looks like a bug to me.

Mike, i tried just your two lines of xbasic as well.

Bill, what build of v10 are you using?
                        Tim Kiebert
                        Eagle Creek Citrus
                        A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

In looking at the attachment that Keith sent I see the following

In the on push event for the job update button he has two action scripts one setting the value of Select field and the second setting the value of the Email date field.

It may just be a timing issue.

I deleted the second set field event and revised the first event by adding the email date to the first event along with the original select date.

To test, in the default browse changed the select to null (just deleted the.t.) and then set the email date to 09/01/03.

Then called up the form and hit the job update button as directed - the field filled in properly. Then wen to the fourth record in the browse and pushed the job update button again and the record fill in properly.

It seems to work okay with the set fields to one line of the action script. So It might have been a timing issue - don't really know.

Also, when deleting fields in the embedded browse, first two records okay , after that when you delete a field then cursor down the cursor jumps all over the browse and winds up two records up. I could find no events attached to the form, the buttons or the browse. It may be a corrupt form also - just a guess.

I don't know if this is the answer. I have reattached the zip file with the change I made.

FWIW

Tom Baker

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Kiebert View Post
                            I am also seeing strange behaviour. Using version 2429_3345.

Bill, what build of v10 are you using?
                            2427/3345
                            Bill Griffin
                            Parkell, Inc

Comment

I'm on 2299-3345

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X