Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How about a release?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How about a release?

but we have to feel that it is ready
    Exactly the right decision. In fact I am surprised that you are hoping to release this month as I didn't think the Desktop stuff had hit the beta yet.

Comment

Originally posted by mdfOffman View Post
      Is anyone else getting pissed off with all the hype about v10 and no release?
      We were promised a release in "summer 2009". We're already moving into fall and there are repeated offers to buy v9 under "time limited" offers that are eternally repeated or renewed.
      I bought v 9 many months ago and applied for the beta release of 10 but was ignored.
      This is getting beyond a joke. Stop hyping, Messrs Rabins, and let us "ordinary folk" upgrade and get our hands on this great tool that you're so proud of you can't stop talking about but won't let us have.
      ok just curious...did you ever get the beta?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
        No.

Alpha needs sales - cash flow - cash flow - cash flow.
        No serious new business without user and reference manuals for the product.

A PDF "help" file with 8,579 pages?... completely useless.

Cash Flow? No chance...

Comment

Originally posted by jfh2005 View Post
          No serious new business without user and reference manuals for the product.

A PDF "help" file with 8,579 pages?... completely useless.

Cash Flow? No chance...
          Perhaps you can elaborate on what you mean by this and clear up the ambiguity?

Are you making a statement based on the lack of released documentation thus far for v10? If so, why?

Or, are you making a statement in general. If so, what's that got to do with v10 since it has not been released and offered for sale?

kenn
          TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Ken,
            I would like to back up what John is saying. The help file has not been properly updated since V7 and therefore for anything implemented since then isuseless. There is a much threatened WIKI that we have been asked not to look at yet which may change the lack of information, but this needs to be fully up to date by the release of V10, hopefully this is one of the delays. The videos, although great at showing what can be achieved and a great sales tool, do not show how to achieve it. It is left to others to stumble around testing first one parameter then another until the solution is reached, and that is provided they know the full extent of the parameters involved. There are V8 xbasic commands that still do not show the interactive help in the command line! Do you know how to get information on any of the UI_Context commands for instance?

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Gurd View Post
              Ken,
              I would like to back up what John is saying. The help file has not been properly updated since V7 and therefore for anything implemented since then isuseless. There is a much threatened WIKI that we have been asked not to look at yet which may change the lack of information, but this needs to be fully up to date by the release of V10, hopefully this is one of the delays. The videos, although great at showing what can be achieved and a great sales tool, do not show how to achieve it. It is left to others to stumble around testing first one parameter then another until the solution is reached, and that is provided they know the full extent of the parameters involved. There are V8 xbasic commands that still do not show the interactive help in the command line! Do you know how to get information on any of the UI_Context commands for instance?
              Hi Lance,

Thanks for your reply. My comment was made because I feel his comment, no doubt due to frustration, is out of place.

I agree with most everything you said. It has been very frustrating to go to A5 Help and find old info. We all have spent a ton of unnecessary hours trying to find solutions because of the lack of info. However, at least on some of the videos, Selwyn has shown how to do it, albeit a bit fast.

I have limited time and have spent way too many unnecessay hours of 'hit and miss' trying to figure something out. Part of that, however, is no doubt due to my level of comprehension.

Alpha has a great product and that's why we all hang around, despite the lack of up to date documentation. I need the v10 WAS to come through for me. It will be a milestone lifesavor for my work. Thus, the documentation will be crucial.

I hope there is tutorial and explanation on how to set up a web app. Yes, there are tutorials but there is no 'Overview'. At least I haven't found it. It's difficult for me to find out which comes first, the chicken or the egg.

Alpha has heard the documentation message loud and clear. Codeless Ajax or not, the documentation must be there when v10 is released. As much as I need what it can do for me and as quick as I need it (6 months ago), I will be patient and wait.

kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Originally posted by forskare View Post
                Alpha has heard the documentation message loud and clear.
                ???

...the documentation must be there when v10 is released.
                Don't hold your breath.
                Peter
                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
                  ???

Don't hold your breath.
                  Well, let's hope they have and no, I won't hold my breath. :)

Comment

Yeah, I hope too. As a wise man I used to know often said, "Hope springs eternal..."
                    Peter
                    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

The Wiki is real and will be made public with the release of v10

The plan is to have v10 information incorporated in the wiki

The other benefit of the Wiki is that it is a centralized easy to search mechanism for quality content /videos/ white papers /tutorials to be hosted.

The way this will work is that if any member of the Alpha Community wants to post content to the Wiki - they can, after it has gone through an edit/approval step.
                      Richard Rabins
                      Co Chairman
                      Alpha Software

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Rabins View Post
                        The Wiki is real and will be made public with the release of v10

The plan is to have v10 information incorporated in the wiki

The other benefit of the Wiki is that it is a centralized easy to search mechanism for quality content /videos/ white papers /tutorials to be hosted.

The way this will work is that if any member of the Alpha Community wants to post content to the Wiki - they can, after it has gone through an edit/approval step.
                        Hi Richard,

I know you guys are working hard. There is so much to do and to make sure it all works together is no easy task. Then, factor in all those who are working on it and coordinate their efforts. I have to believe it's likened to coordinating all the developers to write a hugely humongus app with a complete set of instructions, field by field and task by task, not to mention all the possible 'what ifs' and error messages. That's why I and others patiently wait.

How was that ol' Navy saying? "Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead!"

:D

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Rabins View Post
                          This "Wiki" idea is not gonna do it.

It does not replace a well written, comprehensive, concise, authorative, up to date manual, that takes me systematically through the product A-Z's.

The absence of proper documentation works 100% against your marketing efforts and completely sabotages your ability to attract new users.

You're shooting yourself in the foot.

Comment

Just my 2 cents.

Alpha is on the verge of releasing an absolutely monumental product - actually, I think the past releases were amazing as well - but v10 looks incrementally over the top. Aren't we being a bit unfair to expect everything to be perfect. This product is ground breaking, be patient.

Gary
                            Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Originally posted by jfh2005 View Post
                              This "Wiki" idea is not gonna do it.

It does not replace a well written, comprehensive, concise, authorative, up to date manual, that takes me systematically through the product A-Z's.

The absence of proper documentation works 100% against your marketing efforts and completely sabotages your ability to attract new users.

You're shooting yourself in the foot.
                              Seems like you're passing judgment w/o seeing and trying. Access has tons of books and dragging them around is good only for exercise. That's why they're collecting dust on my shelf. No, wait, I think I tossed them out

Why not wait and see? Give it a try. I would much rather have Wiki and set up what I need on my laptop and print out only the info I need to study when I'm away from the laptop. Besides, getting inform other users will never make it to a book as you describe and, you can take that to the bank!!

Comment

Originally posted by drgarytraub View Post
                                Just my 2 cents.

Alpha is on the verge of releasing an absolutely monumental product - actually, I think the past releases were amazing as well - but v10 looks incrementally over the top. Aren't we being a bit unfair to expect everything to be perfect. This product is ground breaking, be patient.

Gary
                                Actually....while still waiting my beta...i had lots of time to search alternatives...and there actually are lots... so its not that monumental...

Comment

Working...
                                X