Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

report save as rtf cannot save or view

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

report save as rtf cannot save or view

3 New computer with pre installed microsoft office 2007.
    A9 - build 3264 - windows xp professional;

while previewing a report require to SAVE AS RTF and would like to view report with associated application
    but nothing happens - cannot view the report - though in the background can see printing to alpha printer but no preview and neither the file is saved anywhere on the system.

same problem with send email - the email program openes but the report is not attached.

"open file with assosiated application" is ticked.

matter of fact no application opens with Pdf / Text either in all 3 computers.

rtf / pdf /text files opening correctly when opened from else where on the computer so no problem re association.

no such problem in another 2 old computer with A9-build 3264 - ms office 2002 .

is there any problem with ms office 2007 & alpha ?? there must be as only this difference in the new & old computer

please help.

rgds,
    v.

Re: report save as rtf cannot save or view

I'm running the same build and Office 2007, but under Vista... no problems with preview of RTF. A re-install of Alpha5?

Comment

thanks David for your feedback.

how is it possible same problem on all 3 new computers running ms office 2007 .

anyway, tried uninstalling & reinstalling A9 - no success - same problem.

really need this feature - as it is our invoice payment report - after priewing the report - we need to print to RTF or text - copy the contents and paste it to the memo field of a particular record.

the reports are generally very small - like 3 or 4 lines maximum.

we have been doing this for years without problem but now with ms office 2007 on the machine it does not work.

before removing ms office 2007 - hoping to solve this irritating problem and then also not sure problem will be solved.

rgds,
      vp

Comment

Can you zip up a table and the report - I'll try it here.

Comment

David,

There is no point in sending a zip file - there is absolutely nothing wrong with the reports. As i said it Saving a priewed report working fine on 2 computer with MS office 2002.

Anyway, i had an extra computer which i formated and installed all the programs including Alpha & MS office 2002 -

everything worked FINE. then i upgraded the Ms office 2002 to 2007 and again same problem .

so it is surely something to do with ms office 2007 - i have to change something ...and something to do with alpha five printer.
          but have no idea what.. ?

can you tell me on what port alpha printer should be installed - mine is com1..

thks/rgds
          vp

Comment

Look at file associations in control panel and see what program is associated with RTF files. I have barebones Office 2007 (Word and Excel) and Word is set as the default for RTF files.

Comment

Rtf files set to open with:
              "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\WINWORD.EXE" /n /dde

they however open without problem if clicked directly from elsewhere on the computer

same for PDF / TEXT / HTML.

Alpha printer does not even save the file anywhere on the hard drive. after clicling on "ok" in report preview there seems to be some printing dailogue - like `file name printing to alpha five printer` but then nothing - the report preview just stares back and the file which was supposed to be printed and save and open - gone in outer space.

really bugging.

rgds,
              vp

Comment

Let's see what settings you have for the Alpha Printer... maybe there's something in there that's causing the problem.

I'm running Vista Ultimate 32-bit, but settings should be close.

For the printer properties:

General: Amyuni Document Converter 2.51
                Ports: Send To Microsoft OneNote Port - Local Port
                Advanced: Print directly to the printer
                Security: All Groups and users have at least Print Allowed
                Everyone - Print
                Creator Owner - Manage Docments
                (my login) - Print, Manage Printer, Manage Documents
                Admin - Print, Manage Printers, Manage Documents

About... Amyuni PDF Converter Version 2.51-b

Comment

Punjabi- Do you have V8 also installed on the problem computer? I haven't printed any reports for over a year and have both V8 and V9. Yesterday I found a corrupted report and tried to save it from V9 as a RTF. The file never got to the specified folder, just like you.

So I created a new report in V8 and tried to print it. I got an error message about the printer not being selected, amyuni printer error -30. I deleted V9 and both the printer problem and the saving problem went away. I'm not sure what would happen if I deleted v8 and installed v9 and tried this. I had installed v9 after V8 so it took over the Alpha files but, for some reason, did not install the printer.

Note that under Control Panel (Windows)/default programs/associate a file..... in 64 bit Vista, I have the RTF files to open simply with Word without specifying the path and any other specs such as you have. I can't see that what you have would cause a problem- just don't see it as necessary.

Comment

David

Alpha printer settings are exactly as you say except i do not have onenote 2007 - the new computer comes with trial version of MS Office 2007 without onenote. but have created a local port
                    NULL and changed the original setting port from com1 to null.

have uninstalled & reinstalled A9 2 times and everytime removed every word which says alpha from the registery

also deleted & reinstalled alpha printer over 10 times but no success . the rtf/pdf/text files are not saved nor the associated program opens.

have given up - though managed a workaround by printing the previwed report to pdf coversion program doPDF6 - copying the contents and pasting it in the record memo field. which was what was needed.

next step when have the time - will remove ms office 2007 from the system & install office 2002 - lets see if that works.

thks + rgds,
                    vp

Comment

hi robert,

like i said it is new computer so just installed V9 - though the program & reports was originally created 10 years back with V5 & have religiously upgraded with every new version though not needed as have made no changes in the program since 10 years.

i wonder why i waste my money & time on upgrades as everything what we needed was working fine with the older versions.

but its a good idea - think will remove V9 & install V8 & hope problem goes away.

rgds,
                      vp

Comment

If you go here- http://www.amyuni.com/en/support/techsupport.html you may get help with this problem. It says you have to be a registered user but it's worth a try.

If you do, and they can solve the problem, please let us know here.

I think that something is preventing the amyuni printer from being installed properly when you install alpha. If you had Vista, I'd say turn off UAC, anti-virus, any firewall and Windows defender during the installation. I think you can do the latter three in XP.

If you go into Control Panel/printers and look at the amyuni printer properties, make sure that everyone has print permissions.
                        Last edited by robert; 09-11-2009, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Hi Panjabi and all,

Seems we are nearly facing the same issue.
                          I run the same build on Vista Premium 64 bits.
                          See my post today.

Cheers,
                          Jack

Comment

jmeyer74, did you try the install as I discussed above? I found, in Vista, that I had to turn off UAC to get a program to work properly in some cases (but not in Alpha). Once the program is installed, you can turn UAC back on.

Comment

Hi Robert,

My issue is resolved since I have created ond configured the new NUL port on Alpha Printer : thanks for that, I would not have been able to find out this myself.
                              Remember : this was not related to Vista but rather to 64 bits support (or combined to Vista, I didn't check on XP or Windows 7).

Also I did not have to turn off UAC to get the program to work properly. But are we talking about the same thing ?

Thanks,
                              Jack

Comment

Working...
                              X