Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

New Tool in v10 making it easy to work with Dreamweaver and other editors [B] Using

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Tool in v10 making it easy to work with Dreamweaver and other editors [B] Using

New Tool in v10 making it easy to work with Dreamweaver and other editors

Using 3rd Party Editors (such as Dreamweaver) with Alpha Five

Many designers are very familiar with a particular HTML editor (such as Dreamweaver, or Fontpage) and would prefer to user their favorite editor while editing .a5w pages in an Alpha Five web project. Version 10 makes it easy to use 3rd party HTML editors.

Watch Video
    http://www.ajaxvideotutorials.com/V1...orA5WPages.swf
    Richard Rabins
    Co Chairman
    Alpha Software

Re: New Tool in v10 making it easy to work with Dreamweaver and other editors [B] Us

Richard:
    Is this option available in the beta desktop version right now?
    This might be a silly second question, but am I to understand I would be able enter data into a desktop database and then Alpha v10 would allow me to post that data into FrontPage or some other html program, following the directions as shown in the video?

This would be great as I pretty much ruled out being able to use v10 after listening to all the lectures at the meeting, since I would not be able to afford setting up a dedicated web page.
    I post track meet results and performance lists on a website for high school kids here in MA and the only cost is the monthly charge of $5.00 for the website. Having to pay $40 or more a month just to post a weekly list would be too costly for my volunteer project.
    "Ollie, remember how dumb I used to be? Well, I'm much better now."

Pete

Comment

Re: New Tool in v10 making it easy to work with Dreamweaver and other editors [B] Us

Originally posted by trackmanpete View Post
      ... am I to understand I would be able enter data into a desktop database and then Alpha v10 would allow me to post that data into FrontPage or some other html program, following the directions as shown in the video?
      This sounds like a mis-perception on what the video was showing. I believe Selwyn was demonstrating how one could use an industry standard web builder such as Front Page to build a web page and also insert A5 component code - as opposed to using the A5 web page editor to do that.

.... as I pretty much ruled out being able to use v10 after listening to all the lectures at the meeting, since I would not be able to afford setting up a dedicated web page.
      V10 is no different that v9 or v8 in that you can use a VPS or host it yourself on your own machine or use a web hosting firm such as Zebra Host. No difference at all in that respect.
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Peter:
        I guess I don't understand. The video seems to indicate that v10 generates html code that I can copy and then paste into a dedicated web page design program (say Front Page) that would generate headers, rows and columns of data from the database and footers. This would save me from having to export it as an excel file or a text file or a PDF file and then inserting into a web page.

Secondly, I would be sending the Front Page forms via FTP to my web page server and not the Alpha database files.

I presently have v9 Platinum Edition and was only able to generate Excel or PDF files to be posted to my Front Page designed pages for posting to the web.

Not sure if this makes my issue a bit clearer to you. Keep in mind I am a former track coach and not a computer engineer (in other words I have a liberal arts mind) :)

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by trackmanpete View Post
          The video seems to indicate that v10 generates html code that I can copy and then paste into a dedicated web page design program (say Front Page) that would generate headers, rows and columns of data from the database and footers.
          Maybe I saw a different video? (viewed on Sunday by me - there's so many of them) I'll check out what Richard posted, tomorrow (i.e. Tuesday).

The first half of your statement quoted above I'm in agreement with. The second half would be new to me. You seem to be saying that Alpha generates generic browser code that will post the data w/o the WAS server. Maybe it does? That would be pretty cool if that is true.

Secondly, I would be sending the Front Page forms via FTP to my web page server and not the Alpha database files.
          Got it. Like I said, if that is true - way cool!
          Peter
          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Pete,

Couldn't wait - just watched the video attached to Richard's link. Yes, it is the same video I saw yesterday. What I said in my post #3 above is true. You can't do what you are suggesting. Sorry about that.
            Peter
            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Ugh, the story of my computer life. Seems each software application has some neat things, but then not ALL the things needed to do the full monte....:) Oh, well. I continue to wish and hope...:)

Thanks for taking the time to look and reply.

Pete

Comment

Just for reference sake, Microsoft retired FrontPage years ago. Expression Web is the new program, now on version 3.

I thought it was odd when Alpha used this example.

Bill.

Comment

The page must be saved in Front Page or Dreamweaver as an .A5W page.

To do this go to File -> Save As (Change to "All Files" in the dropdown) and enter the name of the file ie "example.a5w" in the Alpha Five Webroot folder you are using.
                  You can do this at any time with any single page you may have created in a third party html editor and save it.

You can then go ahead and insert components as normal into an a5w page.

If you bring it in as an html file then you will have to either put the code in as described in the video within Alpha 5

or

you can save it as an a5w page after importing the file and proceed as normal, as usual very flexible options in V10.

Cheers
                  Andy

Comment

Re: New Tool in v10 making it easy to work with Dreamweaver and other editors

Thanks Selwyn and Richard.

This is also big help for those of us with styled pages that get messed up by the wysiwyg screen!

Up 'til now, I used a dummy page to insert the components, then copied them over to the production page. This will save a step!

Pat
                    Pat Bremkamp
                    MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Just a thought..

As alpha evolves it is getting harder to decide where posts should go (web or desktop) and now in v10 is even more evident because of the inclusions of grids for the desktop. so I think we are going to see a lot of miss placed posts here an there until the day comes that we will just need 1 forum.
                      Cheers
                      Mauricio

Comment

Working...
                      X