Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Variable is of different type - Alpha 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Variable is of different type - Alpha 10

I am getting this error on every single page I go to right now. Any idea what's causing this?

Most look like the below

Code:
    500 Internal Server Error
    "Script Error
    Error:Script: /weeklyschedule.a5w line:54
    x_nav_reports = a5w_run_Component(tmpl_nav_reports)
    Variable is of different type" 

"Script Error
    Error:Script: /addjob.a5w line:51
    x__0908_addnew = a5w_run_Component(tmpl__0908_addnew) 'SYSTEM GENERATED COMMENT

"Script Error
    Error:Script: /updatejob.a5w line:87
    x_nav_jobs = a5w_run_Component(tmpl_nav_jobs)
    what script are they talking about? Do I look in the xbasic code on the grid on the line they are referring to? If so, it doesn't make sense.
    Last edited by eboughey1; 09-08-2009, 11:20 AM.
    Up and coming Alphaholic ;)

Re: Variable is of different type - Alpha 10

This is the most dreaded error message in all of Alpha, because there is no hint as to where this eror is....(seems like they could tell you which variable since they have to know it to create the message).

You can't use the line number, the only clue is that it is in the grid, not in the page.

Pat
    Pat Bremkamp
    MindKicks Consulting

Comment

but every single one? I think it must have something to do with the update to v10 beta.

Comment

I had several issues today that were resolved by checking the v9 compatability option. I had to republish all , and all started working again. They don't call it a beta for nothing :)

PS - Alpha has been notified of the problem, can recreate and will fix it.
        Bill Griffin
        Parkell, Inc

Comment

Whatever it was, it has fixed itself with the last update files I downloaded.

Thanks for the support.

oh btw, I couldn't find the a5.js file anywhere on my server. Is it a virtual file? And I'd really like to debug my grid events so I can see if they are working. What's the best way to do that?

Comment

The .js functions are embedded in the server files, so you won't find 'em.

Best way to work with the javascript is to use Firefox and the Firebug plugin. Selwyn emphasizes the utility of this.
            -Steve
            sigpic

Comment

Hi Bill, I don't see a V9 compatability option but I'm having a lot of issues today. Where is that so I can check it?

Thanks

-john

Originally posted by Bill Griffin View Post
              I had several issues today that were resolved by checking the v9 compatability option. I had to republish all , and all started working again. They don't call it a beta for nothing :)

PS - Alpha has been notified of the problem, can recreate and will fix it.

Comment

There is a checkox on the Server Setting page. Check it if it is not and see if that helps.
                Bill Griffin
                Parkell, Inc

Comment

Okay Bill I'll check. Thanks

Comment

PS - make sure you download the latest builds.
                    Bill Griffin
                    Parkell, Inc

Comment

All of the beta builds have an expiration date. If you are running an older build, the expiration date may have already passed and the beta features are no longer active. In that case, the server tries to run the component using V9 non-ajax code, which will fail if the component was built as an Ajax grid. The failure typically give a "Variable is of different type" error and any features that require Ajax calls, such as opening a detail view in a window, will fail.

The latest beta builds have a later expiration date. However, the problem will reappear when that date is passed unless you get the latest build.

Comment

Having an beta expiration date which turns off features makes no sense whatsoever. The beta users are providing Alpha with a valuable service by debugging the software for free. They certainly don't need artificial time-wasting obstacles put in their way. If you want to protect your intellectual property by putting in an expiry date, then make it 6 months in the future.

Comment

Working...
                        X