Alpha Video Training

Thread: Text message

Real Name
    Bob Senski

Default Text message

Does anyone have any experience interfacing text messaging with a web application and a database. I know twitter pulls email text and database all together.

Beyond @vtext I am not sure how this is accomplished.

I am interested in automatically sending and receiving text messages through
    a web app. Taking this to the next step I want to be able to add or modify records through a text.

The app has to be able recognize the sender. Like a session variable.
    Think of it as an automatic log in accomplished by recognizing the sending address. The text contents then adds a record and triggers other actions.
    I would also like to accomplish this with email as well. I know alpha5's email features support some of this.
    Tks
    Bob

VAR
    Real Name
    Mike Reed

Default Re: Text message

Sending text message can be done in Alpha. They are as you noted, sent as an email. Sending a text to my granddaughter is done by sending an email to xxxxxxxxxx@text.att.net or when she was on Verizon it was xxxxxxxxxx@vtext.com.

Therein lies the problem. You have to know which cell service (ATT, Verizon, AllTel, etc) that the mobile number is attached to in order to send a text message by email. You could add another field in the database to track the cell carrier so you could do the format correctly. Getting that info may be difficult and perhaps even more difficult to keep it up to date, especially the way kids move around. I had some experience with this a while back and we decided not to do it because of the maintenance.
    There is a service that I found on the internet that will do the formatting for you (for a fee of course). You send the messages to them along with the cell number, they do an automatic convert to the right carrier and send the message.

Good luck,
    mike
    Mike Reed
    Phoenix, AZ

Real Name
    Bob Senski

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Sending text message can be done in Alpha. They are as you noted, sent as an email. Sending a text to my granddaughter is done by sending an email to xxxxxxxxxx@text.att.net or when she was on Verizon it was xxxxxxxxxx@vtext.com.

Therein lies the problem. You have to know which cell service (ATT, Verizon, AllTel, etc) that the mobile number is attached to in order to send a text message by email. You could add another field in the database to track the cell carrier so you could do the format correctly. Getting that info may be difficult and perhaps even more difficult to keep it up to date, especially the way kids move around. I had some experience with this a while back and we decided not to do it because of the maintenance.
    There is a service that I found on the internet that will do the formatting for you (for a fee of course). You send the messages to them along with the cell number, they do an automatic convert to the right carrier and send the message.

Good luck,
    mike

Real Name
    Bob Senski

Mike,
    Thank you for your insight. There has got to be a more direct interface with SMS.

Wikepedia:
    Short Message Service (SMS) is a communication service standardized in the GSM mobile communication system, using standardized communications protocols allowing the interchange of short text messages between mobile telephone devices. SMS text messaging is the most widely used data application on the planet, with 2.4 billion active users, or 74% of all mobile phone subscribers sending and receiving text messages on their phones.

Twitter gives you a short 3 digit text to send a tweet. Some banks allow you to text them and your balance is then sent to you. American idol allows you to vote this way.

If a web app can merge the two that's cutting edge. Anyone else who has insight on this please chime in! Pun intended.

Tks
    Bob

Real Name
    Steve Wood

There is always a way - try this free service: http://www.zeepmobile.com/.

Look at the For Developers tab. The API is very simple.
    Steve Wood
    Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
    There is no Cloud. It's just someone else's computer.
    Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
    AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)

Real Name
    Bob Senski

Thanks Steve,
    Your the Man!