Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

foreign language support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

foreign language support

Apparently there's still a lot of hardcoded text strings in A5v10 so foreign language support is only partial which makes it rather unusable here in Europe. My suggestion would be that Alpha makes all the hardcoded strings available in some file and then the developer community can take care of translating those strings. A5 would become 100% multilingual with little effort for Alpha I'd say. If you also are a developer needing foreign language support pls show me your support here so that it can get noticed by the Alpha people (hope so). It would for sure boost their sales outside the US as far as I'm concerned.
    Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Re: foreign language support

Language support seems like a good idea, but maybe it's not easy to do. I don't have the beta but I saw the demo video. It looks like presently you can only change form labels and grid labels. To do language support, Alpha would need to do a language lookup for all existing and future error/warning messages. Reports would need to lookup the user's language code and possibly run different reports. And what about custom error and warning messages embedded in the tables and scripts? Alpha would need to create a method of handling multiple languages for that case.

Comment

Does the branding utility fall short of what you need?

http://www.alphasoftware.com/shop/it...asp?PRODID=675

Comment

Hi, All.

I support the foreign language issue.

I really like Alpha Five, but I need much of the system message translated to Spanish. I'm refering to the automatic operative messages the final user gets while ussing the application.

I recently see an application in other language, but the developer pointed out that he had to develop almost all operative message on his own, thats a lot of work an that makes Alpha Five not sutable for me.

If Alpha Five includes non english spoken people in their perspectives, I would be glad to help in the Spanish translation.

Hope Alpha Five consider this as part of a Global business plan.

Regards,

Rod MG

Comment

Hi,

�Any comment about this from Alpha Five staff?

Regards,

Rod MG

Comment

Hi Rod,

Yes you will need to type in the Spanish text for your users to work with, but that is no different than any one else having to type text in English.

There are many users I know of using Alpha in the Netherlands, France and Germany in their own languages.

Now if all the Functions had translations I could understand how that would make Alpha an easier product to work with.
            Regards
            Keith Hubert
            Alpha Guild Member
            London.
            KHDB Management Systems
            Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Rod (talvez Rodolfo?) in version 10 there are "grid templates" and this has speed up the process a hole lot, you will have to do the translation only 1 time for most cases. You can have your own collection of templates (one for editing, one for read only, etc).

Por cierto yo tambien desarrollo mis aplicaciones en espa�ol y no cambiaria alpha five por nada.
              Cheers
              Mauricio

Comment

Keith,

Thanks a lot for your input, that is exactly what I want so I think it will be time for trying Alpha Five in deep.Thanks.

Mauricio.

Tu comentario me ha resultado de lo m�s revelador. Hace tiempo descargu� la versi�n de evaluaci�n de Alpha Five 9 y encontr� que, por ejemplo, al activar en un campo la regla que evita que el campo quede vavio, si bien la regla cumpl�a su funci�n no encontr� la forma de evitar que el mensaje de aviso al usuario apareciera en ingl�s ("The field could not be empty").

En aquel entonces la recomendaci�n que me hicieron fue que desarrollara mis funciones para que los mensajes destinados al usuario final aparecieran en espa�ol, sin embargo mi idea es utilizar todas las funciones autom�ticas que tiene Alpha Five incorporadas, Por ejemplo, he visto la posibilidad que tiene Alpha Five de exportar a PDF o a Excel un informe, sin embargo la ventana con la que esto es llevado a cabo tiene la interfase en Ingl�s (http://www.alphasoftware.com/AlphaFi...000Reports.asp). A este tipo de cosas me refiero, si fuera posible tener esta vnetana con los testos en espa�ol el trabajo ser�a menor.

Todo lo anterior lo he comentado sabiendo perfectamente que mi punto de vista puede venir de mi desconocimiento de Alpha Five, sin embargo quisiera aprovechar tu participaci�n para conocer cual ha sido tu experiencia respecto a esto.

De ya, muchas gracias por tu ayuda.

Saludos,

Rod.

PD Efectivamente, mi nombre es Rodolfo.

Comment

Rodolfo,

Mi trabajo con alpha five ha sido en su mayoria en la parte web, por tus comentarios (y el foro donde estan) parece ser que tu inclinacion es por la parte de escritorio. En ese caso el desarrollo de tus propias funciones es el metodo mas conveniente.

un buen tip es el de crear un ActionScript o una operacion con los "genies" que trae alpha five incluidos y despues darle clic derecho y seleccionar la opcion de "view xbasic" copiarlo todo y crear una funcion (o algun boton en una forma) con ese codigo solamente traduciendo los mensajes de los dialogos al Espa�ol

Saludos

Sorry to all non-spanish speaking members
                  Cheers
                  Mauricio

Comment

Originally posted by RodMG View Post
                    Hi,

�Any comment about this from Alpha Five staff?

Regards,

Rod MG
                    Rod,

No word yet from Alpha Five staff... True foreign language support would mean a tremendous opportunity for them though so I guess maybe, just maybe they read this thread and will go for it...
                    Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper87 View Post
                      Apparently there's still a lot of hardcoded text strings in A5v10 so foreign language support is only partial which makes it rather unusable here in Europe.
                      For labels in v10 most can be changed to your local language now. There are still a couple which you cannot translate, like the QBE feature in grids (I think). Maybe you and others could make a list you came across and give it to Selwyn so he can evaluate to make them changeable.

Also:
                      latest release:
                      18-Sept-2009 2461-3360 Last Update 1:01 PM

UTF-8 Support - UTF-8 Support has now been added internally for all SQL database access. This means that you can now, for example, use Chinese or Japanese characters in a Web application.

Then the only thing to wish for is better support for:

International date representations / input possibilities other than US methods ( DD-MM-YYYY) and comma vs decimal point (9.999.999,99). But maybe this has been tackled also in V10 (i did not check that, but do recall entries for earlier versions than V10 on this board).

regards, Ron

Comment

Sorry. I thought I was in the web forum of V10. My remarks refer to the web possibilities in V10...

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Hubert View Post

...Now if all the Functions had translations I could understand how that would make Alpha an easier product to work with....
                          Having used A5 v5 back then and now starting again after a longish break, me too had pestered poor Richard then :D with my pleas to publish a German version of the product. A plea I still keep up! But: I would not go as far as Hubert suggests, by translating functions et al. Based on my bad experience with M$'s Excel I strongly suggest, that Alpha Software - if they indeed should consider consolidating language relevant resources and making them accessible to the developer - does limit these facilities to system-messages!

At one point in the past, M$ decided to also publish their plethora of Excel- and VBA- functions in German, which resulted IMHO in a very big mess of partly German, partly English code, which among other problems limited the exchange of knowledge between the two user groups.

IMO it can be expected of a developer that he/she is capable of understanding English. But on the other hand, end users in Germany, Switzerland and Austria (and anywhere else) should not be confronted with system- and error messages in English ( OK, they shouldn't be confronted with error messages at all :p ).

Just my 2 cts + vat...
                          SwissCharles
                          Between the Alps and a comfy place

Comment

Hi, All.

As SwissCharles commented, the xbasic language and exclusive developer interfaces should follow the English standar.

My point is that all final user interfaces should be in the final user preference language. I could develop my own forms en my prefered languages, buy if I really want to get the most power of Alpha Five and be productive I need that the user interface of the greate automatic functions Alpha Five includes be in other languages not just english.

It will be greate to here Richard position in this topic couse this could be important to go in the Alpha Five way (And I really want).

Regards,

Rod MG

Comment

Originally posted by SwissCharles View Post
                              ....IMO it can be expected of a developer that he/she is capable of understanding English. But on the other hand, end users in Germany, Switzerland and Austria (and anywhere else) should not be confronted with system- and error messages in English.
                              This is exactly my opinion. Using VFP since many years, I can confirm that their translated runtime versions do what the programmer wants/needs to offer to his customers. App specific stuff like labels, captions etc. can be easily and speedily (as well at design time and at runtime) be translated using a function call like
                              "w('the text to be translated')", which does a lookup in the proper language table, inserts the input text if it is not found and returns either the input text if there is no translation or the translation.

gregory
                              ESCOOP Switzerland

Gruezi Mr. Schneiter! Hals-und Beinbruch.

Comment

Working...
                              X