Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Users & Groups Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Users & Groups Issue

Stan, I agree with Garry. Your approach is much simpler than what I was thinking of... Thanks.

Comment

Unless I'm mistaken this still doesn't preserve the current passwords. Not a big deal for a small company but if you have hundreds of employees then this would inevitably be a big time waster. Also many would consider emailing the passwords as a security breach. All this would depend on how often an update was provided. Once a year might be seen as acceptable but depending on the nature of the software you may provide updates quarterly or monthly.

So Stan's method is good and probably the best that can be achieved with the current tools but Alpha really need to look into this and either provide the tools for developers to copy or retain the passwords or move the information to a different location. This may sound easy and in principle it is but I'm guessing they embedded the passwords (encrypted I hope) with other data to make it harder for someone to obtain the passwords. If the passwords were stored in a separate table then it would be easier for someone to find them and crack the encryption.

Maybe a quick and easy solution for Alpha would be to give the developer the choice of saving the passwords in a separate table of their choosing if desired. It would then be down to the developer to encrypt and maybe add bogus data with it for added security.

Comment

Alpha really need to look into this and either provide the tools for developers to copy or retain the passwords or move the information to a different location.
        Not sure I understand. I was trying to design a workaround for Keith who wanted, at first glance, a way to quickly set up and import a complete security framework.

As I understand it, if you use the built in export which creates an adb you can preserve the passwords as well. Emailing that should be safe as the passwords are likely encrypted there, as you note.

The client sends you that file, you update your update with their security, you send the update back.

I'm probably missing something because I don't use any of this.

(And thanks to Tom and Garry for your kind words.)
        There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Stan,

My response was in reference to the original question

I am trying to find a way to give my users an update to my software without overwriting their "Defined Users and Groups". I am installing using Astrum and do not include data files or the runtime files for the update. Problem is, after installing the update their users/groups are deleted. Is there a solution? Thank you,

Don
          It may well be me getting mixed up with the detour the thread took.

Comment

Here is a very simple approach to solve the problem.

I create a 2nd database in the application directory (in my case called security.adb) and define the initial users and groups. In the application database, set security to "use a shared security database" and point it to the database you just created.

The functions in the application for users to manage users and groups still work as before, they automatically operate on the security.adb. Now you can replace the application .al* files without replacing the security info.

My security.adb has no control panel objects and it never needs to be opened by the developer or user after it is created.

Bill.

Comment

Bill, that's intriguing.

1) do you have to mirror the setup on the remote development machine?

2) when you network optimize the application database do you have to network optimize the security database, as well?

Thanks.

Comment

One thing this thread taught me. I am so glad I built my own security system years ago and never changed it to the Alpha security as they have it now.

WOW, what a mess this looks like.

Dave Mason
                [email protected]
                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
                  Bill, that's intriguing.

1) do you have to mirror the setup on the remote development machine?

2) when you network optimize the application database do you have to network optimize the security database, as well?

Thanks.
                  1) Yes, but that is just the security.al* files in the same directory. Actually this would be created on the development machine and copied to the target machine/server. After that, user and group updates in the target environment would not be refelected in the development environment unless security.al* was copied back.

2) No.

Bill.

Comment

I am curious as to why the AL* files need to be replaced with your update? What was it in the AL* files that has been changed?

When I update my databases I write an update script. All changes to the AL* files are done via xbasic. The only files that I replace are the data dictionaries for the actual tables and sets in the database.

The only time I have come across needing to replace the AL* files was when I wanted to push out a new toolbar to all of my databases. It was at this time that I wrote the function to import/export toolbars, thus eliminating the need to actually replace the AL* files.
                    Andrew

Comment

Andrew,

Doesn't that also lead to: If all your functions and scripts are put in an aex that you would still not have to overwrite the original al* files? And, Any added tables could be picked up by way of the autoexec on start up?? forms, reports etc are all in the tables files anyway??

No, I am not changing what I have, but maybe it will help others?

Using astrum installer, you can choose to never overwrite. It would still be a good idea to backup the al* files before an update.

Dave Mason
                      [email protected]
                      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
                        Andrew,
                        Doesn't that also lead to: If all your functions and scripts are put in an aex that you would still not have to overwrite the original al* files?
                        Why not just replace the AEX file? Why would this require changes to the AL* files? I currently do not compile my scripts to AEX so have never needed to address this.

And, Any added tables could be picked up by way of the autoexec on start up?? forms, reports etc are all in the tables files anyway??
                        Any added tables, table structure changes are all handled via the update script. Form, reports, etc can be handled a couple of ways. One would be to just overwrite the data dictionaries for the tables affected (this is what I do).

Another method would be to use export the report/form/etc from the updated data dictionary and import into the live data dictionary. Once version 10 is released I will begin investigating this method because version 10 has built methods to export just the form/report/etc.

No, I am not changing what I have, but maybe it will help others?
                        I agree, its not wise to fix what is not broken

Using astrum installer, you can choose to never overwrite. It would still be a good idea to backup the al* files before an update.
                        I think the OP has a need to replace/update the original AL* files hence the reason for the post regarding issues with overwriting currently established security settings.
                        Andrew

Comment

Why not just replace the AEX file? Why would this require changes to the AL* files? I currently do not compile my scripts to AEX so have never needed to address this.
                          YES! I don't compile mine either as yet and have no problem with the al* files.

[QUOTE]
                          Any added tables, table structure changes are all handled via the update script. Form, reports, etc can be handled a couple of ways. One would be to just overwrite the data dictionaries for the tables affected (this is what I do).

Another method would be to use export the report/form/etc from the updated data dictionary and import into the live data dictionary. Once version 10 is released I will begin investigating this method because version 10 has built methods to export just the form/report/etc.

[/QUOTE]

Precisely

I hope Don has figured out at least a couple of ways that will save his app problems.

Dave Mason
                          [email protected]
                          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Maybe some confusion about the .al* files from my description?

The security tables are stored in the alb, alm,alx files. The original problem was neding to preserve the local users and groups when the developer made changes to the application al*.

In my approach the security system is removed from the application database, so anything the developer does to update the application has no impact on local changes a user has made to users and groups.

A second database is created in the application directory to store the security information. This database never needs to be updated by the developer.

The developer will apply application updates to the user's copy of the application database in any way they like. This could be by aex, or replacing the application's al* files, or replacing individual objects. Again, this has nothing to do with the security info that is now in its own database (yoursecurityfile.adb).

Bill.

Comment

Then you developed your own form/xdialog to handle the inevitable additions, deletions, and changes or do you just provide access to A5_USER_GROUPS_DIALOG()?
                              There can be only one.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Mathews View Post
                                Then you developed your own form/xdialog to handle the inevitable additions, deletions, and changes or do you just provide access to A5_USER_GROUPS_DIALOG()?
                                There is a button on my utilities ment to Define Users. This button is hidden if the user is not in the administrator group.
                                a5_security_option("DefineUsersandGroups")

All users can change their own password.
                                a5_changelogonpassword()

This was the original capability I had. Then I discovered the same problem that updating the application was a pain with the security info in the application database. So I moved security info to its own database. None of my application code dealing with security had to change when I made the switch.

I nave written no forms and just use these a5 calls.

Bill.

Comment

Working...
                                X