Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Am I Blind? Where is Cascading Lists (SQL) Step 6J? Or how about Step 9G for .dbf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I Blind? Where is Cascading Lists (SQL) Step 6J? Or how about Step 9G for .dbf?

It seems I am unable to get Cascading Lists to work against my MySQL database in either v9 or v10beta. I've referred to online documentation and just can't seem to make the connection. Specifically where is the "Constant or Variable" option list referred to in step 6J? It seems absolutely crucial to getting cascading to work - and I can't find it.

http://support.alphasoftware.com/alp...lpv9/index.htm The section is titled "Cascading Selection Lists" and the subsection is "Populating the Lists when Using a SQL Database".

In Step 6J, the documentation instructs the reader to select "Variable" in a "Variable or Constant" list. I'm not seeing such an option. It seems to be Constant only.

So I backed up a few steps and attempted to implement cascading lists with Alpha Five .dbf files in the last official version (March) of v9, only to hit a similar roadblock.

Under subsection "Populating the Lists When Using Alpha Five", step 9G instructs the reader to "Display the Parameter Mapping tab". But I don't see such a tab. I don't see "Parameter Mapping" as any type of configuration option. Furthermore, when clicking ok upon completion of previous step 9F, I get a messagebox "Parameter mapping is not permitted. Please remove any ? from the Filter Expression and replace with a contant." (I presume "contant" means "constant")

This is approaching serious now, stuck for 24 hours. Is anybody using cascading lists in v10beta? Or the last release of v9?

Re: Am I Blind? Where is Cascading Lists (SQL) Step 6J? Or how about Step 9G for .dbf

One thing that seems to be snagging me is that I display one value while storing another. So the second list has to cascade off of the first list's stored (not displayed) value. I don't see any way to configure for that scenario.

As an example:

Table: "State" Columns:2 Column 1: State (2 char abbrev) Column 2: Number (1..50)
    Table: "Cities" Columns:3 Column 1: State Number (1..50) Column 2: City (full name) Column 3: City number

So the 2 char State abbreviation is displayed in DDB1, stores Number; the second DDB should cascade off of Number (not State abbrev), displaying City name, storing City number.

Unable to solve.
    Last edited by fsi; 09-29-2009, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Re: Am I Blind? Where is Cascading Lists (SQL) Step 6J? Or how about Step 9G for .dbf

I am having the same problem. With MySQL, I can't figure out how to use the cascading dropdown lists using the stored (rather than displayed) value.

Interested if you or anyone else figured out a solution.

Thanks.

Alex

Comment

Jon and Alex,

Took a while, had to open Alphasports which is a dbf therefore used the "Populating the Lists When Using Alpha Five" and followed the instructions to the letter and it worked.

Where in instruction 9F does it say 'hit OK'? As soon as you enter
        Code:
        Bill_State_Region = ?
        not forgetting that the quotes in the instructions must be omitted, the Parameter Mapping tab will appear on that dialog and you can map the variable as instructed. Did this not work in step 6F?

As is quite often the case there is an error in the instructions 9F should read
        9f. Enter "Bill_State_Region = ?.AND.Bill_City=?" (without the quotes). This expression says that the Lastname values that are returned will be filtered by the previous selected values of Bill_State_Region and Bill_City.
        then you can enter both parameters

tested in both latest version 9 and version 10

Comment

Working...
        X