Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

>= Nano Trivia <= , or is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: &gt;= Nano Trivia &lt;= , or is it?

Originally posted by Steve Andrews View Post
    Another way to illustrat Al's logic is as follows:

Suppose: x = 9.999...

Then:
    10x = 99.999...
    (10x - x) = (99.999... - 9.999...)
    9x = 90
    x = 10

That's a fully legitimate proof.

Steve
    eloquently stated... much clearer than I babbled...

I wish I had invented that proof.. But at least I can copy it...... Ain't Math fun???!!!
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Al,

OK, I see how you were doing this.
      10x=99.9999...
      divide by 10 to get
      x=9.9999...
      then subtract 10x-x = 99.9999... - 9.9999...
      to get
      9x=90
      so
      x=10

Nice, but you lost a digit by doing the division( 99.9999... is infinity long and 9.9999... is only infinity-1 long). It should be accounted for in the subtraction. After all, it's still hanging on to the end of that 99.9999...

10x=99.9999...
      divide
      x=9.9999...
      subtract
      9x=90.000...0009
      Oh no, now
      x>10

Maybe the division added a decimal place ( 99.9999... is infinity long and 9.9999... is infinity+1 long). Still need to account for it.
      9x=90 - 0.000...0009
      so
      x<10

I guess it depends on how long infinity is.

Should I comment on the 100% problem again or leave it?

Comment

This debate will never end. It goes to show that no one can possibly comprehend zero nor infinity.
        The idea that 9.9999....=10 is based on the "logic" that as you add more decimals the distance between 9.9999... and 10 gets smaller and smaller and since you could add an infinite number of decimals "eventually" the distance becomes zero and if there is no distance between the 2 then they are equal.
        Really?
        Not really. Mathematicians have come to accept that, but it goes to show that no human mind can comprehend zero much less infinity.
        Does the distance ever get to zero?
        It defies the First law of Thermokinetics..Here math will conflict with physics when they shouldn't.

But mathematician as a practical matter resolved to accept this when they should have dropped it as unresolved and a "cannot be resolved" matter.
        When you come to the gates of Zero and Infinity ... walk, just walk. You simply cannot apply any logic to either, because logic is finite and cannot be applied to infinite matters. Just say: this cannot be resolved, period. And walk.

Comment

Originally posted by aRob View Post
          Nice, but you lost a digit by doing the division( 99.9999... is infinity long and 9.9999... is only infinity-1 long). It should be accounted for in the subtraction. After all, it's still hanging on to the end of that 99.9999...

10x=99.9999...
          divide
          x=9.9999...
          subtract
          9x=90.000...0009
          Oh no, now
          x>10

Maybe the division added a decimal place ( 99.9999... is infinity long and 9.9999... is infinity+1 long). Still need to account for it.
          9x=90 - 0.000...0009
          so
          x<10

I guess it depends on how long infinity is.

Should I comment on the 100% problem again or leave it?
          No nothing is left hanging..... Perhaps the computer representation of a finite number of digits is confusing the subtraction for you.

Your choice on the 100% of a given digit. But at this point it's probably best to find another authoritative source for the solution explanation... I didn't see it on the Ask Dr. Math site, but I didn't look too hard either...

And G's right about some people don't understand the issues, but that doesn't mean that no one understands it..
          Al Buchholz
          Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
          Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
          When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
          Albert Einstein

Comment

This thread that started out with a simple concept turns out to be a debate about infinity.

So as the issue does not get lost in the ever widening debate, I still maintain that:

x>"L"
            is a lot better than:
            x>="M"

and:
            x>{01/01/2009}
            is a lot better than:
            x>={01/02/2009}

and as to numeric, and hopefully by now everyone came to realize that you cannot store "Infinity" in a field (or a variable) and that you are limited to a certain number of decimals, then all you have to do, assuming that the values you are dealing with are in decimals, is to step back one decimal. For all practical purposes, the majority of all numeric fields use 2 decimals, if any. In few cases you use more. If you use 16 decimals, and if you really rely on the accuracy of the 16th decimals, you have more trouble beyond the scope of this thread.

Comment

But why bother worrying about how many decimals when you can just use '>='.

Interesting thought though G but like your thread title states its just trivia and personally I'd advocate business as usual for most scenarios and continue using the '>=' method.

Oh and as far as some of the math go it's a little worrying. I am far from a mathematician but....

(I can't bring myself to use X as it can get confusing with the multiplication symbol)

10Y=99.999

(as G said lets leave infinity alone and give it a fixed number of decimals for calculation purposes)

For 10Y to equal 99.999, Y must equal 9.9999.

Therefore

10x9.9999=99.999

Does everyone agree?

Now,

10Y-Y=99.999-9.9999

and you get

10Y-Y=89.9991 not 90.

Please also note 10Y doesn't equal 89.9991 or even 90. You all seem to be losing that -Y in your equations or -X in you examples. Where did it go?

Like I said maths isn't really my thing and I welcome any corrections to my attempt at making sense of some of these proofs.

Oh and finally I haven't read all the posts in this thread so if I have missed something then my apologises.

Comment

gmeredith,

Their proofs are based on the idea that when dealing with infinity, 9.9999... and 99.9999... have the same number of decimal places so when subtracting the two numbers, the decimal part disappears. If you start with a finite number of decimal places,no matter how many, 9.9999..(finite repeat) will always be less than 10.

Comment

Originally posted by gmeredith17 View Post
                  But why bother worrying about how many decimals when you can just use '>='.
                  Gee.. I don't know. I didn't know that every number in every numeric field must have decimals? Didn't know that you guys use decimals in everything, and if people are having trouble with decimals, how do they manage using them routinely in these fields?! Huh! Sounds like a self-defeating argument.

These are theoretical answers to theoretical questions (really nit-picking questions) because anyone would agree if you have a numeric field incrementing on integer, then logically:
                  x>9
                  is better than
                  x>=10

But some like to loose the big picture and argue the exceptions.

Comment

Originally posted by G Gabriel View Post
                    anyone would agree if you have a numeric field incrementing on integer, then logically:
                    x>9
                    is better than
                    x>=10

But some like to loose the big picture and argue the exceptions.
                    The point is that anyone or everyone doesn't agree with that hypothesis and conclusion for a variety of reasons.

Now others have multiple points of view and can determine for themselves what is appropriate.
                    Al Buchholz
                    Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                    Albert Einstein

Comment

I have yet to see those "variety of reasons". As long as this thread has gone, haven't seen them yet and don't suppose will ever see them.

This "debate" has reached the point of diminishing returns.. all points to be made have already been made and each can make up their mind or dig their heels.. either way, is no skin off my nose.

Comment

if you do not like filter="field >= 10"
                        what you think about using the .not. operator:

.not.(field<10)
                        Last edited by rleunis; 10-23-2009, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by G Gabriel View Post
                          I have yet to see those "variety of reasons"
                          I covered, earlier in the thread, the only "variety of reasons" that matter,
                          • #1 and foremost, it is not slower, it is exactly the same time to execute in Alpha Five (or just about any other computer or language still in existence). While a useful inquiry, especially if there was any time difference, the answer is 0.0000000 seconds difference in time to execute
                          • #2. It is logically clearer to developers and other readers of code. Clarity of code is always important, unless you wish to protect your source code through confusion - which almost always backfires when you need to revisit the code 6 months later)
                          Hi Ron,

Originally posted by rleunis View Post
                          if you do not like filter="field >= 10" what you think about using the .not. operator: .not.(field<10)
                          While a clever solution, it takes longer to execute in Alpha 5, albeit an almost unmeasurable amount, as Alpha's expression evaluation is extremely fast. Most compilers (not the AEX Alpha file code compile which is not really a compile in the computer language sense) in computer languages that do clever compiler optimizations, and one of them would convert .not.(field<10) to field>=10

What really drives coders crazy, is when a compiler sees something called Loop-invariant code motion (often not seen by a coder, or for timing delays) that is really a repetitive operation in the loop, as in
                          for i =1 to 50
                          x=10
                          next
                          eliminates it to
                          x=10
                          I'm absolutely sure Alpha Five's Xbasic does no compiler optimizations at all, as it is primarily an interpreted language. There are times, however, that the expression evaluator seems to do some minor expression optimization in it's execution, most likely Common subexpression elimination, but I have not explicitly checked for this.

But for those looking for speed, it really pays off if you understand the methods of loop optimization (especially loop unrolling), as these can be applied manually for big increases in speed.
                          Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                          Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                          New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
                          CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                          CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Originally posted by csda1 View Post
                            I covered, earlier in the thread, the only "variety of reasons" that matter,
                            If that's the best anyone could come up with in opposition,it's pretty lame if you ask me.
                            As to the first reason, my research on that came empty, so I will take your word for it but, and that goes into the second reason, clarity of code, that comes from clarity of mind which seems lacking with some.

It's a simple logic:
                            If something is "More than or equal to" something else, then logically it is simply more than the thing immediately before that other thing. If I explain this to my Neighbor's cat, she will get it the first time. It is not that people don't understand that, but for psychological impairments that seem to challenge self-affirmation, they refuse to understand it. Can't help anyone there and getting tired of trying.

Comment

Originally posted by rleunis View Post
                              if you do not like filter="field >= 10"
                              what you think about using the .not. operator:

.not.(field<10)
                              I would if I were a contortionist
                              .not.(field<10) is the same as field>9
                              What would you rather use? Assuming of course that the increment is an integer of 1.

Comment

You stated: "The point of my question is the implementation of the combined operands ">=" and "<="."

So I thought you did not like combined operands...

That's why I gave you an alternative solution...

The restriction of an integer of 1 was not part of the original post, I think...

Anyway it does not change my post and validity of it, I think.

It's also valid for any numeric value..

"What would you rather use?"

I do not have a bias towards any solution. Just the one which works and is in line with what I feel is right...As long as the result is the same.

I think this indeed rounds it up nicely:
                                "but for psychological impairments that seem to challenge self-affirmation, they refuse to understand it"
                                Last edited by rleunis; 10-24-2009, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X