Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Stop Child Jumping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stop Child Jumping?

Dont anyone say get a big stick.

I have child records displayed on a form as fields, not a browse. When I make a change to any child record, except the last one, when I click save, the display jumps to the last record.

As I want the user to remain on the same record, how do I prevent this jump from happening?

Or, is there a method that will make the jump go back to the record that was just changed?
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Re: Stop Child Jumping?

Have you tried to add to to save to do a query based on the view so at the end you are still there

Comment

Hi Mark,

No, I have not tried that. How do you do "add to to save to do a query based on the view"?
      Regards
      Keith Hubert
      Alpha Guild Member
      London.
      KHDB Management Systems
      Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

I am presuming the save button has a save action attached, you could aadd the query to the next line to make sure you are still on the record. If the form has the Parent ID and the Child ID on it, this could be used for the query.

When you click save

Step 1 set two variables based on the form
        Step 2 save
        Step 3 run query to find based on the variables

Comment

Hi Mark,

I appreciate your suggestions but am still a little lost on how to implement.

I use AS, I can get the values of fields onto variables, I now get lost with the next bit of setting up and running the query. Please advise.
          Regards
          Keith Hubert
          Alpha Guild Member
          London.
          KHDB Management Systems
          Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Hi Keith,

Probably a little off with my answer. I am thinking of a creating a query operation and running that when you do the save process.

A little perplexed however, I tried to duplicate what you are asking and I do not get the same problem. Save simply stays on that record with that child.

How do you get to your view? Do you do a filter so that the exact child record is on display with the parent?

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Hubert View Post
              Dont anyone say get a big stick.
              How about good old rope & a sturdy chair to tie them to? ;)

Comment

... or a sample app for us to play with? Cos only the UK and Australia are on-line. America's still asleep.
                Kind Regards
                Alan

Comment

For a table, there is the option to "follow changes". I'm using V8 and it doesn't seem to work. It wasn't called that in V4.5 which I came from a couple of years ago and can't remember what it was called. Don't know if this helps.

Comment

I have child records displayed on a form as fields, not a browse. When I make a change to any child record, except the last one, when I click save, the display jumps to the last record.
                    Keith,

You lost me. Is this a 1:M? If so, how do you get the particular child that you want to display on a form w/o a browse? Are you using a subform for the child?
                    Peter
                    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

the follow changes option is also available in form view. I guess I don't understand the difference between fields on a form and fields in a browse. Sorry if I'm wasting your time.

Comment

Keith,

Here is a pic I just used in another thread. Maybe it will help you. I also may not be understanding what you are trying to do.

It has fields on this part of the form for trades and they change depending which record I click in the browse underneath. This is not using tabs!

Dave Mason
                        [email protected]
                        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Hi Peter,

Yes this a 1:M child table with only one child record being displayed in a sub-form.

I do have a browse in the sub form with a single id field, just so I can see which child record I'm on.

Please see screen shot. Fields in red box is the sub form showing the child record.
                          Regards
                          Keith Hubert
                          Alpha Guild Member
                          London.
                          KHDB Management Systems
                          Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

I do have a browse in the sub form with a single id field, just so I can see which child record I'm on.
                            Ok. I thought maybe you didn't have a browse and that might explain the jumping. I used to have a similar problem (jump to the 1st record). My workaround was to code the child save w. xbasic: I would get the child ID, save the record, and then do a fetch_find() using the ID# to get the record and then a resynch or refresh or something to make it appear. But I never was able to get rid of the screen flash when it did the jump.
                            Peter
                            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                            https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Hello Keith,

I believe there is a similarity with an issue I had earlier this year.
                              Please check this thread: http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=80451
                              Hope that helps.

Best regards,
                              Jo Hulsen
                              Dommel Valley Solutions
                              The Netherlands

Comment

Working...
                              X