Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Various report building questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Various report building questions

I'm working on the WIP report that we discussed, Al, and I think I've got everything I need in there (table and major field wise). I am, however, having trouble figuring a few fancy things out.

1) How do I group it by the customerreffullname so that all transactions for that customer go under the same name? Currently, the transactions list separately under each customer name each time something happens and anytime I try to fix it by "insert group" it does funky things.

2) How do you do a subtotal by amount in the above group and then a total at the end?

3) How do you filter it so that only items with a billing status of "billable" (as opposed to not billable or havebeen billed) show up? Right now I have it setup so that the field lists which of the three it is. I assume that I need to make a calculated field using a new variable for "Billable", but when I do that I can get it to say true/false/leave blank/etc but I want to get to it just NOT LIST any that aren't billable.

Sorry for all the Qs, but we're billing on Tuesday and if I can get this report operational before then we will definitely buy the program. If not, our next billing is after my 30 day trial runs out and I won't have a "definite yes" anymore! :)

Re: Various report building questions

Originally posted by Laura R View Post
    I'm working on the WIP report that we discussed, Al, and I think I've got everything I need in there (table and major field wise). I am, however, having trouble figuring a few fancy things out.

1) How do I group it by the customerreffullname so that all transactions for that customer go under the same name? Currently, the transactions list separately under each customer name each time something happens and anytime I try to fix it by "insert group" it does funky things.

2) How do you do a subtotal by amount in the above group and then a total at the end?

3) How do you filter it so that only items with a billing status of "billable" (as opposed to not billable or havebeen billed) show up? Right now I have it setup so that the field lists which of the three it is. I assume that I need to make a calculated field using a new variable for "Billable", but when I do that I can get it to say true/false/leave blank/etc but I want to get to it just NOT LIST any that aren't billable.

Sorry for all the Qs, but we're billing on Tuesday and if I can get this report operational before then we will definitely buy the program. If not, our next billing is after my 30 day trial runs out and I won't have a "definite yes" anymore! :)
    Laura

1. Insert a group should do it. But there may be an issue with how much data you are sorting. The total length of data sorted can cause issues if it exceeds 240 characters. The length of QB fields is sometimes too long for their own good. If you know the data is always shorter than the max field length, then sort on left(<fieldname>,50) to use only 50 characters to sort on...

2. Once the group is in place and working, by dragging and dropping the field into the header or footer of the group will initiate the genie that will build a total field for you.

3. menu - report - select records - filter - will allow you to get only billable data.

You may want to call me on Friday.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Thanks! I'll see if I can get a chance to play around with it in the morning before I take my son to his art class (it's my non-work day and I'll be with the kids rather than at my computer most of the day). If not, I will probably miss you Friday due to the time zones - but I'll work hard over the weekend on reports & hopefully be doing good by Monday :)

Laura

Comment

Could you tell me how you open up the sample data zips that people attach to their posts to show things? I can unzip it to a folder, but then what do I do to access the data in the program - browse for it as a new project? Refresh data but NOT from the open QB program?

Comment

Could you tell me how you open up the sample data zips that people attach to their posts to show things? I can unzip it to a folder, but then what do I do to access the data in the program - browse for it as a new project? Refresh data but NOT from the open QB program?
          You ask some of the best questions...

If it is a QRB sample, use the import report or import script(either QRB or A5) option with QRB.

If it's an Alpha 5 example there is a little more to do.

Essentially at the windows file level, QRB looks for a folder name <project>.qrb - along with the other projects.

It wants a database named qreportbuilder (.adb,.alb,.alm,.alx)

tables (.dbf,.fpt,.cdx,.ddd,.ddm,.ddx) and sets (.set,.sem,.sex) can be moved into a project folder and added to the project with the green plus sign on the QRB control panel.

I think I hit all the highpoints....
          Al Buchholz
          Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
          Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
          When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
          Albert Einstein

Comment

To be a bit more specific for a complete novice....

Say you have a sample database from an Alpha user called "Sample" and the actual database name was the prefix for the 4 file extenstions .adb,.alb,.alm, and .alx . such as Sample.adb for all 4 extensions of the files found in the sample database folder.

Rename them all to Qreportbuilder.adb, Qreportbuilder.alb, Qreportbuilder.alm, Qreportbuilder.alx .

The folder in which all the sample database files reside....rename the extension to .qrb .

Now Copy /Move this entire folder into where your project folders are--the default path would be "....My Documents\QReportBuilderData\".

After doing this, when you open up QReportBuilder, the Sample database folder will now be seen in the list of projects and can be opened.
            Mike

Comment

Ok - I've created a report that BASICALLY does what I want it to do (I think!) with a few points I needed help fixing.

1) Page break issues - I don't care if the group is kept together (although I'd like the totals group footer to stay with the bottom), but I DO want the page to actually break seamlessly and roll to the next page like a normal report!
              Currently, I can see a bit of the group name at the very bottom of one page (half cut off - some sort of sizing issue) and then some of the group at the top 1/3rd of the next page and then POOF we're on to the 3rd page with another line and the footer.
              I didn't tell it to keep group together because I actually would have preferred a gentle flow of data - but maybe I should? It'd mean more pages, but maybe be clearer.

2) Al - you spoke about the need to limit the characters to 50, but I really can't figure out where or how to do this.
              I would agree that that is the problem - for the report I've been doing, I've been use the Qreport sample data and not having any problems. The problems in my real data, then, are probably from this issue. Could you walk me through it?

I tried to attach the report I've been working on so you could check it... hopefully it worked. I didn't bother with data - I just used the sample data that came with the Qreportbuilder to make it. I'm too tired to figure anything else out right now, but if it's needed I'll try to do data in the am!

Thanks!

Laura
              Last edited by Laura R; 11-01-2009, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Hi Laura,
                Try this report definition.....extract it somewhere and then import it via the QRB home page menu....it has the same name as your current report so either rename yours or when QRB asks, import it into its own folder so that your current report does not get overwritten.

Check out your two group breaks and how I added the left() function to make sure the number of characters falls below the 240 character limit.

I also expanded your Notes field, checked its Shrink checkbox in properties....then went to the detail properties band where the Notes field is located and checked the Shrink Band checkbox.

It sure looks like the report is doing as it should.....if not be more specific as to what it is showing/doing and what you want it to show/do.

I also added a bit of color to more easily see what's what (I need every bit of help I can I am told by some people--mostly my kids!! :) )

Last edited by MikeC; 11-02-2009, 12:22 AM. Reason: changed .rar to a .zip file
                Mike

Comment

I hate to sound dense, but the report looks exactly the same to me?? I don't see any color or marked "Allow Shrinking" (is that the right one?) or anything...

When you say you "added the left() function" to the group breaks - where would I find this adjustment (or put it)? Is it in the properties for the group header?

Thanks!

Laura

Comment

Hi Laura,
                    I think I gave the wrong one!! Try this instead. And yes, go into the group properties and you will see I chose an "Expression" for the group break which limits the amount of characters used.

Mike

Comment

Ah! That's definitely better :) I'm glad it wasn't just me! It looks good; I'll poke around in it a bit later and then try it out with my real data.

Thanks again!

Laura

Comment

Ok - the report is looking GREAT and I am right on track for using it for our actually billing run tomorrow. Assuming everything goes smoothly (and I have every reason at this point to think it will!), I should be able to get my boss to okay an actual purchase - yay!

One question that came up, though - exporting to excel doesn't seem to work very well (most of the fields are blank). I noted in researching answers that this is a common problem but there may be workarounds. In particular, I think Al was telling someone to export as csv and import to excel or something like that? Could I please get some more info on this or another workaround that sends it out pretty, just like seen on-screen?

Thanks!

Laura

Comment

Ok - the report is looking GREAT and I am right on track for using it for our actually billing run tomorrow. Assuming everything goes smoothly (and I have every reason at this point to think it will!), I should be able to get my boss to okay an actual purchase - yay!

One question that came up, though - exporting to excel doesn't seem to work very well (most of the fields are blank). I noted in researching answers that this is a common problem but there may be workarounds. In particular, I think Al was telling someone to export as csv and import to excel or something like that? Could I please get some more info on this or another workaround that sends it out pretty, just like seen on-screen?

Thanks!

Laura
                          Not as pretty as the on screen, but you can prepare the data in a table and then use an export operation to write an excel file.

Edit: There is also an OLE interface to Excel. I haven't used it too much, but it would write directly into a spreadsheet. It's on my list to get better with, but it's writing code.....
                          Al Buchholz
                          Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                          Albert Einstein

Comment

Laura,
                            great that your report is working better now.

Regarding the Excel.....using the report and saving it as Excel does give all the data on the report, but various cells will invariably become merged and such. Exporting via the table gives much better results but would have to have the same filters applied as the report to have the same data given to Excel. No formatting however can be transferred to Excel.

EDIT: :) almost like we're ganging up on her Al!!
                            Mike

Comment

Could you walk me through preparing data in a table to export? I can't find anything that sounds like this - and obviously the "save as excel" doesn't work very well! It only brings up 1/4 or less of the info on the excel sheet?

I can always prettify the report once in excel, but I do need to be able to get all the information there...

Laura

Comment

Working...
                              X