Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Importing .wav files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing .wav files

My next question is similar to my last one. I know I can play .wav files via Action Scripting, but once again, they need a path statement. As I have my files on a stick, this path will change according to which PC I plug it into - which may be one of many.

Can I import .wav files into my library in a similar manner to importing bmp's?

Kind regards
    Larry Gordon

Re: Importing .wav files

No.

It might be possible store the wav's binary data in a memo file and reconstruct the wav from that data.
    There can be only one.

Comment

If I can't import the .wav files into my library, can I store them in either a parent or subdirectory to my A5 files and then utilise DOS commands to open them? In the olden days, we used to navigate around our DOS directories with "cd" commands using ".." and "\" to go to parent or subdirectory etc.

Surely I can't be the only person on the planet who wants to do this...

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Gordon View Post
        If I can't import the .wav files into my library, can I store them in either a parent or subdirectory to my A5 files and then utilise DOS commands to open them? In the olden days, we used to navigate around our DOS directories with "cd" commands using ".." and "\" to go to parent or subdirectory etc.

Surely I can't be the only person on the planet who wants to do this...
        Larry

I use the a5.get_path() all of the time.... You seem to be avoiding it and causing yourself a lot of grief.

What is the issue that you have with the solution suggested in this thread?
        Al Buchholz
        Bookwood Systems, LTD
        Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
        Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
        Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
        When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
        "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
        Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

If you store them in the path of the database you can always refer to them with

a5.get_path()

for the database directory and then explicitly add the subdirectory if needed like

a5.get_path()+chr(92)+"subdirectory name".

This means you can use sys_open(a5.get_path()+chr(92)+"subdirectory name"+chr(92)+somewavfilename.wav")

to play one.

That's an entirely different question from using your stick.
          There can be only one.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Stan and Al. I also now see where Paul was coming from in my previous thread and will give it a go. I am hoping for 'portability', so my only concern is that Stan states that this is nothing to do with using a stick.

I'll let you know how I get on. Meanwhile, thanks for all your help and please be a little patient with this old fella. I may struggle over the detail, but I still produce damn fine applications!

Comment

Thanks Guys!

Now playing .wav files etc regardless of their location!! Special thanks for the detailed syntax Stan, though leaving out a couple of speech marks had me going for a while...

Many thanks,

Larry Gordon
              PS Now all I've got to do is work out how to play the music file without the media player jumping in front of my app!

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Gordon View Post
                though leaving out a couple of speech marks had me going for a while...
                Just checking to see if you were paying attention.
                There can be only one.

Comment

If you to Synch\more options\player in media player, do you have it checked to always be on top?

Comment

The help on path statements has now proved INVALUABLE as I have now had another problem! I continued uploading Jpeg's onto my code tab and embedding them in my application until suddenly... Alpha fell over. I tried adding new .alb library's without success. I then deleted most of the uploaded Jpeg's and bmp's and its all working fine again. Now religiously opening these files in their subdirectories via Stan's code, as opposed to bringing them into Alpha.

Question is: is Alpha limited on the number of picture files you can have in a library?

Regarding the Windows Media Player NOT opening in the background, I have now researched this and apparently it is not able to do so - unless you install 3rd party software to control WMP. So I'm now looking for a 3rd party MP3 player that will activate on an 'event' and play my MP3's in the background.

What I am building is my family tree (mothers maiden name was Drake). I want it to play the theme to the Dambusters when my great-grandfathers page is opened for example, or a funeral march when the page showing a Victorian workhouse my great-great-grandfather died in is opened. I may be old and stupid, but I am having as much fun as you can with your clothes on!

Comment

Larry,

A couple of things

1st, there is no practical limit to the number of JPGs, wav files, or any Blob (Binary Large Object) that you can store in a DBF file, with the exception of the 2 Gigabyte maximum file size of windows.

You can store and retrieve a binary object into a table using a memo file and setting the field to the desired type. You can also store and retrieve GBMP into the data dictionaries, and these can just be Blobs as opposed to images.

That said, I don't recommend doing that with blobs, as it would be better to just keep them as separate files that you can access as needed by Alpha or other programs. Bloating a memo file or equivalent data dictionary memo file with blob data is seldom better, and should only really be used for those things that are application related IMHO

I do suggest that you have a file path variable that you set initially (can be in the autoexec, another table, registry setting etc) that can be initialized to the application path if blank, and store all your blobs there.

Alpha can play a wav file directly with the Play_Sound() function
                      Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                      Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                      New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
                      CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                      CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Hi Ira,
                        Thanks for the tips, although I am confused by the JPG storage problem I had. After I had about 30 JPG's in my library, I could see them all in my 'Insert Image' dialogue box could not see the selected image name in the 'Image Name' field - until I deleted about half of my library. In any event, I am now happily storing my files outside of Alpha and calling them via events as previously advised.

Regarding the wav files, I am aware of the play sound function, but was hoping to use MP3 as wav is sooo 90's and takes up 6 times the disc space.
                        Kind regards
                        Larry

Comment

Working...
                        X