Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

AR example in Xbasic Book HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AR example in Xbasic Book HELP

Keith,

I'll take some time and study what you sent. I'm not familiar with batch operations at all yet. I must admit that eventhough I've always been very computer savy and able to teach myself skills from a book, Alpha is giving me some trouble. It's just so much information to try and learn at one time, and I'm sure this program I'm trying to create is over-ambitious for my skill level. On the other hand, this is how I learn best.

I'm sure I'll have questions. HA

I really appreciate the help, and I hope one day I can help someone as much as all of you have helped me.

Thanks again!

Comment

Ok, I've entered some sample data for the tables.

THANKS

Comment

When using the date() function, does an actual date value have to be entered between the ()?

Comment

date() will give you the system date

as mydate = date()
          ?mydate = 11/04/2009

Oh, and thank you!
          Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Kristie, here's an example that computes the aging AR balances on the fly using a series of calc display fields in the form. Unzip this to an empty folder.

The example is on the form called "Toms_AR_Form". This form is based on a simple two table set. Customer table is primary, linked 1:N to InvoiceHeader table. Tabpg1 shows the customer fields. Tabpg2 shows the invoiceheader records, and the AR aging calc fields.

Hope this helps.

-- tom

Comment

Tom, I can't thank you enough. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Comment

Kristie, I'm glad it will be of use. Watch for performance issues down the line as your tables grow in size. Alpha is opening a separate instance of the invoice_header table for each tablesum() calculation, and then for each it's running a query. This is brisk now, but can slow down later on, especially as the table sizes start to get bigger.

Comment

Where did you put the balance >0 (etc) for the browse or did you use that at all?

Comment

Do you think archiving invoices would help? I've used a program that archived before, but I'm not sure if this would help in processing time. Seems it would have something to do with table size.

Comment

Hi Tom,

Nice example of using Tablesum().

Two questions, how would you recommend Kristie gets the data into the Invoice header table? Would you use Tablesum() to print the report for the aged Invoices?
                      Regards
                      Keith Hubert
                      Alpha Guild Member
                      London.
                      KHDB Management Systems
                      Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Keith, if I were building it I'd look for a way to "post" payments to invoices, when the payments are recorded. The post field rule in a payments table might do the trick. Would need to anticipate partial payments, and payments that cover more than one invoice. In the latter case you might actually want to use a linked child table for payment splits, and then post to the invoiceheader table from there. Each record in the splits table would be the dollar amount from the current payment that s/b applied to a single invoice header.

OTOH, I've seen cases where the user prefers to use a single payments table, and if a check covers multiple invoices, they manually split the payment into separate payment records, allocating amounts to specific invoices as they go.

Comment

You can use calculated fields on the form which calculates from the Invoice Date or the ship date. You can even include finance charges to be included in the balances. It's a little tricky to code, but it can be done. I did it several months ago.

I got a lot of leads from the Alpha 5 Order Entry application that is sold by Alpha for around $49. There is a partial AR system coded in it which can be immensely enhanced quit easily.

The Xbasic book complicates it way beyond where it should be. I looked at that code earlier.
                          Regards,
                          Chet Sapino
                          President,
                          SAPINO Enterprises
                          6451 Pheasant Rd
                          East Syracuse, NY 13057

Comment

Chet said:
                            You can use calculated fields on the form which calculates from the Invoice Date or the ship date.
                            Exactly. My upload uses this approach based on the date in each invoice_Header record. -- tom

Comment

Originally posted by wlk8791 View Post
                              Do you think archiving invoices would help? I've used a program that archived before, but I'm not sure if this would help in processing time. Seems it would have something to do with table size.
                              I haven't looked at Tom's example, but am responding more precisely to this question:

Tablesum() will become an impediment if your table gets big. I have an example where it worked well when I had a few thousand records, but with a few million records I needed to re-write using an index and a loop.

Another way to help handle speed is to periodically archive records. In an AR system, you usually accumulate all of a customer's balance into a single record with some Description or Invoice number called "Balance Forward" or something along those lines. This, then, simply gets incorporated into all the other AR you do for each customer.

General picture stuff here - not the code you need I know, but worth considering.
                              -Steve
                              sigpic

Comment

Steve, I actually worked in account receivables. The software we used did have an archiving system. Here are some questions I have though:

1. How do I set archiving up?
                                2. When does the user archive?
                                3. How do I make it simple for the user to do this?
                                4. Can I make the system do it on its own?

5. How do I set up a balance forward?

If you could send me an example or code, that would be great.

Comment

Working...
                                X