Alpha Video Training

Thread: Aliases - Confussed...Creation...Shares

Real Name
    Joe

Default Aliases - Confussed...Creation...Shares

Hi Guys...

I'm very confused by Aliases and I'm over thinking it...I think. I understand their use but the setup has me lost. BTW...I'm trying to create a web app but it only works locally.

The examples I've read either point to a local file C:\mydata or UNC \\server\mydata

If the data is local to the Application server I would think you would only specify the local path for the data folder. ex. D:\mydata or in my case D:\alpha data\arcapp

When and why would I ever want to use a UNC? Why would I expose those data files to the users on the network? If it has to be a UNC then what is the minimum share and folder level permissions needed? Yes, I could encrypt the data files but why even let the users know what is out there.

Joe

Real Name
    Steve Wood

Default Re: Aliases - Confussed...Creation...Shares

Correct, you only need a UNC if your data is on the network, but not on the server that hosts your pages, like //otherserver/share/path

Also, if you are INSIDE of your firewall and want to run the web app, your Alias can be a normal path or UNC, but the URL to get to your web app would take the form of the UNC. (That is, http://www.domain.com... would not work from inside the firewall).
    Steve Wood
    Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
    There is no Cloud. It's just someone else's computer.
    Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
    AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Andrew Schone

Due to security concerns it may at times be advisable to store data on a machine separate from the application hosting machine. The data would only be "exposed" the network users if your network was configured to allowed it. You protect the data by segmenting the network, share permissions and NTFS permissions.

For minimum share and folder level permissions this would depend on what you need to do with the data. In cases like these there are no good answers that can be given without knowing the full scope of the application.

I do not run the AppServer I only work in the desktop side. My theory is that all data access across the UNC will be done with the credentials of the account running the App Server process. You can determine the account name by looking at the User Name column of Task Manager for the App Server process.

To determine minimum access first remove all share level access and all of the NTFS level access to the data. Both lists will be empty at this point. Next using the built in Windows functions enable auditing for data access, both success and failure. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310399. Then run your application, of course your app will generate errors on data access. Now is also a good time to code traps for the errors, in case your network goes offline during normal production times. Scan your security logs for the audit entries, then granularly give permissions to the accounts that are shown in the audit logs. Ideally the only account that needs access will be the account running the App server. Retest your app and rescan the logs until you no longer get access failures from the normal operation of the application.

Once your done the only accounts listed in the share permissions and the NTFS permissions are the ones needing access, all other accounts listings are removed. To backup data, make sure the account that is running your backups is a member of the backup operators group.

It is possible to use a URL like www.somedomain.com and have it point to an internal machine. This can be with an internal DNS server. You should not use not use an external DNS server to resolve an internal hostname.

Real Name
    Joe

Thanks for the thorough replies. If only the App Server is connecting to the data then this is pretty easy to lock down. I can easily move the data to my HP/Lefthand SAN which is on its own V-Lan. I wasn't sure if it needs to be a network share for it to work within the browser. I've never developed anything before so sometimes reading, doing, and what I know add up to a lot of questions.

Thx.
    Joe