Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

selecting and send reports by email

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

selecting and send reports by email

How do you define a button to select a report from a list of reports available-then send the selected report by email?

Using Action Scripting you do not have on option for a list of reports then to selecting a report.
    From lack of experence I can not write code.
    Thanks
    Jim

Re: selecting and send reports by email

Originally posted by jdoyle View Post
    Using Action Scripting you do not have on option for a list of reports then to selecting a report.
    Sure you do.

See the action script Send a layout via email. Note the option

If you select "<Prompt at runtime>" form the Layout Name list, make a selection from When prompting, show layouts from list. The options are:

"Another Table/Set"

"Current Table/Set"
    There can be only one.

Comment

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
      If you select "Preview" or "Print" from the PRINT METHOD list- both work. However if you select "Email as an attachment" get an ERROR "Extra characters at end of expression".

Whats wrong?

Jim

Comment

Does anyone else have the same problem with sending a report as email?
        Jim

Comment

Using the Alpha mail to send I do not have any issue...my default mail is not set up so cannot test this.

Have you tried a very basic email as a test? Tried both default and built-in Alpha mail?
          Has it ever worked for you?? On the same computer or different? Using other versions? IOW what else have you tried and results of each.

Another possibility is when in design mode for the script, use the binocular icon from the top menu to see the underlying xbasic, copy it, and then paste into a response so we can look at it.
          Mike

Comment

Using Alpha mail- get the same error.

I can send the report if I use a button designed to print or preview. with preview- then use "Send" under "File"-no problem.

As far as working before -don't know as this is the first time to use.
            Have tried this on another computer-same results

Here is the xbasic
            '

query.filter = ""
            query.order = ""

to_param = a5_eval_expression("",local_variables())
            cc_param = a5_eval_expression("",local_variables())
            bcc_param = a5_eval_expression("",local_variables())
            subject_param = a5_eval_expression("",local_variables())
            message_param = a5_eval_expression("",local_variables())

dim pl as p
            pl = ui_get_layout_name("Select Layout","exhibitor.set","Report,letter,label,form,browse")
            if pl.lastbutton <> "OK" then
            end
            end if
            layout_name_selected = alltrim(pl.layout_name_selected)+"@"+alltrim(pl.layout_dictionary)
            layout_type_selected = pl.layout_type_selected
            'Construct the command (based on the layout type selected by the user. e.g. report.preview(), or letter.preview(), etc.)
            print_command = ":"+layout_type_selected+".Send("+quote(layout_name_selected)+",\\"PDF\\",query.filter,query.order,\\"default\\",to_param,subject_param,message_param,cc_param,bcc_param)"
            'Execute the command....
            evaluate_template(print_command)

Hope this answer the questions.
            Thanks
            Jim

Comment

I do not get the same xbasic as you are---so I must be using different Action Script.

Regardless try this: replace your action script with Inline Xbasic (an action script choice) with your xbasic code you copied. Then delete the 4 extra escape backslashes that I highlighted in Red.

Code:
              print_command = ":"+layout_type_selected+".Send("+quote(layout_name_selected)+",[COLOR=Red]\[/COLOR]\"PDF[COLOR=Red]\[/COLOR]\",query.filter,query.order,[COLOR=Red]\[/COLOR]\"default[COLOR=Red]\[/COLOR]\",to_param,subject_param,message_param,cc_param,bcc_param)"
              What build of version 9 are you using BTW?--I am using builds 2095 / 3264.
              Last edited by MikeC; 11-13-2009, 03:05 AM.
              Mike

Comment

I think that I will put this thread on hold for awhile.
                I begin to think that something is wrong with the design of my app. I have tried it on three different machines with both ver 9 and ver 10.-get the same error as stated in 1st post. Using Action Scripting.

I am attaching a zip if anyone would like to take a look.
                I would like to have a button on the print menu that you can select a report and send it by email. I can create one for a single report with no problem-sending by Alpha mail or my default mailer.

Mike-tried you code change but had no luck.
                I am using build 2095_3264.
                Thanks
                Jim

Comment

Jim,
                  like to have a button on the print menu
                  I see no print menu.

EDIT: And only the "Produce & Get Report" report will run.
                  Mike

Comment

Mike.
                    Don't know what happened-try this one.
                    Thanks
                    Jim

Comment

Jim,
                      I have one form---Class. And one report involving class. Nothing more. There is not button or any other indication of anything involving calling a report or printing anything.

Need Explicit instructions as to what form, what button, field, etc to use. what is wanted to happen, what is happening and how it is different from wanted, what you have tried........

Obviously I just do not understand! :)
                      Mike

Comment

Mike,
                        Must apologie for taking up you time. I has been almost a year since I used Alpha-a little rusty-didn't know alot to start with-still learning.

I made the backup zip file from:
                        Tools
                        Backup/Restore Database
                        Backup Data base
                        Saved file in a backup folder.

I then attached that file in my reply message to you.

I can open Alpha and restore that file.

Attached is a new file and a URL for a Jing clip link to watch what Iam doing.
                        http://www.screencast.com/users/jdoy...c-a39cc82e9fb7

Am I making a backup wrong?
                        Jim

Comment

Mike,
                          Found my mistake
                          Try this file
                          Jim

Comment

Hi Jim,
                            much better! :)

Would have been easier if you had supplied the button with what you had tried....but anyway...

Convert your action script to inline xbasic (there is an icon in the menu to do this when editing the action script). Replace line 22 with this---should be line 22 but look for the same line as this one and replace it---Alpha added too many escape backslashes is all.

Code:
                            print_command = ":"+layout_type_selected+".Send("+quote(layout_name_selected)+",\"PDF\",query.filter,query.order,\"a5\",to_param,subject_param,message_param,cc_param,bcc_param)"
                            Mike

Comment

Jim,
                              Here is your file back to you with a bit more---I created a button on the upper left of the print menu which creates an xdialog box that lists all the reports....choose one and email will open with it as a pdf attachment.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X