Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Incorrect child record displayed on search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incorrect child record displayed on search

I have been using V6 and upgraded to V9 but having problems with a child table not displaying the correct record after a search for a parent record. If I click to the next parent record and then back to the one I searched on, the child record will be correct. If I just click through various parent records the child records will be correct. I do have an index on the linked field. This was not a problem in V6 so I wonder what I need to change.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Art

Re: Incorrect child record displayed on search

Art, check the behavior of the "default form" for the set supporting your custom form. Do you see the same problems there?

Comment

Hi Tom,

Does the same thing with the default form. It's very odd. I've been using Alpha since 4, the DOS version, and various iterations of 5 over the years and have never had this problem. I am not a programmer and I have only used Alpha Software database products for my own personal use but I have always been able to figure out what I need to do to make it work for my needs. This one has stumped me.

Here's some more of what I have discovered: If I click on the browse, right after the search, the child record(s) will display correctly. Sounds like an indexing problem but all indexes are correct and updated. When I update the index the first form search will work correctly but subsequent searches will not.

Thanks for your help!
      Last edited by artmuns; 11-09-2009, 11:19 AM. Reason: Added more info.

Comment

Art, that seems very odd to me. I can understand why it's perplexing.

To me, its beginning to sound like a timing or display issue, rather than an indexing issue. Perhaps you have some process running somewhere that prevents or slows the display refresh after navigating to a new record?

Would be happy to take a look if you zip a copy of your database and post it here, with instructions for us to follow to see the problem.

-- tom

Comment

Hi Tom,

Thanks for taking a look at this.

The original database has a lot more tables but I took them out for clarity.

The parent table is song_catalog and the child table that is the problem is song_title_aliases. The form I'm using is "Music Catalog" and has an embedded browse of the song_title_aliases table. Each record in the song_catalog has a one-to-many relationship with song_title_aliases. So if you search on "Title" it should display the various titles in the browse, occasionally it does.

To reiterate: When I do a form search (CTRL-F, type in the search string and then F9) the child table will not display the correct record. If I click to the next parent record and then back to the one I searched on, the child record will display correctly. If I just click through the parent records the child records will display correctly. If I "refresh" the browse right after the search, by sorting a column in the browse, the child record will display correctly.

Searching on DC0001.0 in the title field will display 5 records in the song_title_aliases browse and they are the correct records. Searcing on EF0001.0 will not return the correct records in the browse. The only way to display them correctly is to click on a column in the browse and do a sort.

Hope this explains it clearly enough.

Thanks for all of your help!

Art

Comment

Art, I took a look. Your zip file contains several databases. Which one are you talking about ?

Also, I can't seem to find the tables you mention in any of the databases you've zipped and posted here. What am I missing?

Later on...

Ok. Got it figured out.

Bad news, though. I follow your steps and do NOT see the problem with the browse you are reporting. I'm using vers 9 with the new browse control. Perhaps that accounts for the difference, I'm not sure.

-- tom
            Last edited by Tom Cone Jr; 11-10-2009, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Sorry Tom, it's Song Pitch.adb. I might be confusing terms, tables and database, here as I've been working in MYSQL lately.

Art

Comment

I tried the form with the new browse control and same problem. If I start a new form from scratch, same problem.

Comment

Artmuns - I see the same issue you are experiencing. I am currently using ver8.

If I use alt-k "Find by Key" the everything works correctly and as expected.

If I use alt-F "Find by Form" the issue crops up. Possible bug? Not sure, but I am able to reproduce your results.
                  Andrew

Comment

Yep, you are right "Find By Key" works here but "Find By Form" has the problem. Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

Art,

I ran into a similar problem. I finally figured out that I had to set the index to what I was searching for (ex: to search by last name(Lname), set the index to Lname). In my case, I was searching on the last four of a vehicle VIN number, so I had to set index to Last4. If you do not set the index, the search will find the first record that meets the search criteria, but will NOT find the next record with the same last 4, it will simply display the next record.

If I search for a last 4 of '4567', the first record that meets that criteria will be found, but when there are multiple records with the same last 4, unless I set the index to Last4, going to the next record will not display the next record with a last 4 of '4567'.

Dave
                      Dave Jampole
                      www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Comment

Thanks Dave but that doesn't work for me. I still have the same problem even after selecting the index I'm searching on.

Comment

Have you updated the index prior to selecting it?
                          Dave Jampole
                          www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Comment

Yes.

Originally posted by davej View Post
                            Have you updated the index prior to selecting it?

Comment

On advice of Alpha I downloaded the trial version of V10. Guess what? That problem goes away!

I did find a new problem in both V9 and V10 though.

I just noticed yesterday that the scroll bar in a pop-up window, of a child database in the same form, was fully extended. In other words I could not scroll down even though there were more records than the open window was showing. I should be able to scroll down.
                              Once again this does not happen in V6 only V9 and V10.

Comment

Working...
                              X