Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Credit card info stolen...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit Card Info Stolen

I received an e-mail today from Alpha, that my credit card info may be compromised. I cancelled my card today.

That answers the question regarding going on the web for me.

Maybe Alpha will concentrate a little more on the desk top side in the future.

The web is clearly not a safe environment to work in as of yet.

Comment

Re: Anyone else get this message

Originally posted by dlazenby View Post
      I got that message today also. I called my credit card (AmEx) and they said that there had been no other activity on my card (i.e., suspicious transactions) since the date of my a5 v10 purchase (10/31).
      Not a good feeling. I am going to have my card replaced.
      Don't forget that it is not just people who purchased recently as these are records that were kept on file from your last purchases. I have not purchased v10 yet, however my card was hijacked a week ago. So just because you have not purchased recently does not mean that your card is safe!

Comment

Yep, got the email today also... I also wanted to know the last 4 digits of the cc for the last purchase. So I went to the Alpha Software contact us page and sent and email. In a few minutes I had the info. Fortunately I had used a virtual credit card, as I do for all online purchases now...so hopefully I have averted a cc hijack.
        Dave

Comment

Re: Credit Card Info Stolen

I noticed in May there were 2 small, almost not noticable, charges from vendors located in the State of Ma. that there was no way i had made on my credit card. I cancelled my credit card immediately and was issued a new one at that time.

I always wondered how that could have occurred on my Corporate Business credit card...perhaps i know why now.

Comment

Shortly after I ordered a V9 Application, a $98.00 Charge appeared on my card. I notified my bank. They investigated and it was a charge from Cabela's for a Gift card...No Address of the purchaser...
            Coincidence?
            They issued a new card.
            First Love

Comment

Also had an email,

Phoned cc company and stopped and replaced card and also confirmed that the last two products I bought were from Alpha.

As a matter of intrest, how does one stand if money goes astray from the card due to this type of activity?

Originally posted by dpawley
              Fortunately I had used a virtual credit card
              Sounds secure. How does that work, like a pay as you go type of thing?

Thanks Alpha for letting your customers know.

Comment

Harry,
                Most credit card companies either have only a $50 maximum liability or $0 like I have for when your credit card is lost, stolen, or as in this case, hijacked. Call and ask or read the terms of your card (yeah, how many people actually read that!! ).
                Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC
                  read the terms of your card (yeah, how many people actually read that!! )
                  Trouble is Mike it seems that every time I get a statment they always include a load of paperwork in with it. Small print galore.

Open statment, have a moan, throw it in the cuboard, pay when near due.

Comment

Well this is huge. Well done to Alpha for notifying us and taking the decision not to store the information in the future. As others have said it would have been nice to know the last four digits of the credit card used. Not sure how Alpha can tell you what it was if they are no longer storing the information but I guess we can all check our own bank statements.

Does anyone actually know when the information was taken? Was is it all at once or over a period time? I have checked my account but cannot see any unusual transactions over the last month.

Comment

My credit card company contacted me two weeks ago and told me my card had been compromised and they had put a stop on it.
                      I only received the email this morning but now I know where the number was stolen from.

Edgar

Comment

The question begs to be asked, if credit card numbers are compromised, what other information has been as well.

I would suggest to all the Alpha "family", keep a close eye on their overall finances, not just cancelling their credit cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Axeman View Post
                          Also had an email,

As a matter of intrest, how does one stand if money goes astray from the card due to this type of activity?
                          I'm familiar with the procedures. When I say the charges were reversed I mean we were given a credit by the bank until they investigate further. A form is sent to us to fill out. They will then notify the companies of the charge-back by mail and online and give them the opportunity to dispute it.

This perp didn't use our address, he used his own in Vietnam so that pretty much killed it. In addition, the majority of domains he bought were registered in his name, not the name on the card. That right there shows the card was compromised during that period. I also caught it 4 days after he started using the card.

However, I do know had he ordered products shipped to the name and address on the card we could have a problem even if we returned the products. What I'm not sure of are the issues that arise when someone downloads a product.

To protect yourself:

1) If you primarily use a debit card ask your bank if you can get one on a 2nd account that you transfer money into as needed for purchases.

2) Never use a check online.

3) Check your account often and change your pin and password every 4 months.

4) Use one card per account.

5) Don't charge anything online if they ask for your driver's license, date of birth or Social Security number.

6) Optional but a good precaution if something occurs: after canceling your card call the companies where charges were made and tell them fraud was committed - this took me the better part of a day (billing departments don't have phone priority like sales). If they ask you if you have already contacted your bank and requested a charge back SAY NO. The first thing companies will ask for is your credit card number, giving them that is a last resort, ask them to search by name or last 4 digits or a combination of. One company I called had over 100 accounts using the same last 4 digits and did not retain the name on the CC so I ended up giving them the full CC, they issued an immediate credit.

As a merchant its wise to ONLY USE 3rd party payment processing for charges done over the internet (i.e.: 2Checkout and Paypal). With 2Checkout and Paypal security is their problem because all of the CC processing takes place on their site. Both of which charge higher fees then a bank, take longer for processing (especially 2Checkout which also retains a portion for charge-backs) and can be a pain in the butt but as you can imagine something like this could destroy your business IF most of your customer base is set-up for recurring charges. If you take CC's over the phone enter the info into your CC machine as they give it to you or at the very least don't retain it on a computer. Don't use an online virtual CC processing service (where you substitute using a machine in your office for a website that allows you to enter the CC numbers you receive).
                          Last edited by RossAllen; 11-10-2009, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Well thanking Alpha for the notification is Bizarre. They by law have to notify all potential clients within 48 hrs of breach. It seems from others that they knew a couple weeks ago? Humm.....

Comment

Your last paragraph I think is key for us developers as we build e-commerce applications. I don't keep CC information on any of the apps I have built and they do use a 3rd party payment processing company where THEY store the CC information. I don't have the bandwidth or liability coverage to deal with it. Does the Alpha E-Commerce app hold CC information, I can't recall?

I take it back, I built one app for a billing company that holds bank checking account numbers. But that system is not in my control, sits behind an ISA server, uses SSL, the database is encrypted, the only screen that shows the bank info only shows the last 4 digits, and not a single page is public other than the login.a5w page. (That's what the client wanted, I didn't think up most of those security measures.)
                              Steve Wood
                              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Tom:

I became aware of a problem yesterday, when Chase had closed down the card. I got the email a few hours later.

I also had a charge to Cabela's for $65.

Chase believes this started the last week in October. When did you see the Cabela's charge?

They said I'd have to self audit my account to look for more. If you say your charge was back in June, I have to go back and do a lot of research.

Another company I bought software for, trying to boost Alpha sales, says their credit card info was stolen a few months ago. It may be unrelated, but your Cabela reference leads me to believe that your problem and mine are tied together, closely.

When do you think that Cabela charge was?

Thanks,

Craig

Comment

Working...
                                X