Alpha Video Training
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Credit card info stolen...

Real Name
    Ross

Default Re: Anyone else get this message

Quote Originally Posted by StevenMcLean View Post
    Well thanking Alpha for the notification is Bizarre. They by law have to notify all potential clients within 48 hrs of breach. It seems from others that they knew a couple weeks ago? Humm.....
    There is nothing bizarre about thanking someone for obeying the law especially when so many don't. In regards to when they found out I didn't see anything posted here that would suggest Alpha knew about it weeks ago.

As an attorney, or someone who works at a law firm, you might be familiar with what happened with Lexis-Nexis in 2005 and again in 2009. On two accounts I never received a notification from them like it said was sent out in the news.

Stuff happens and given the length of time Alpha has been around accepting CC's without an issue I can easily give them the benefit of the doubt on this when it comes to following the proper protocols for taking CC's online. I'm sure they did when they set it up and I'm sure they did so when a breach was encountered.

Real Name
    Craig Schumacker

Default Re: Credit Card Info Stolen

Quote Originally Posted by SMARTII View Post
    Shortly after I ordered a V9 Application, a $98.00 Charge appeared on my card. I notified my bank. They investigated and it was a charge from Cabela's for a Gift card...No Address of the purchaser...
    Coincidence?
    They issued a new card.
    Tom:

I believe this replay will generate an email to you.

Please return to this thread as soon as you have time. I am trying to establish a timeline for the compromise of Alpha's outsourced web host. I, too have a Cabela charge on my card.

Chase claims this started on or about October 25, 2009. I am concerned I may have to go through all my records to track down earlier issues.

Thanks,

Craig

Real Name
    Geoff Meredith

Well thanking Alpha for the notification is Bizarre. They by law have to notify all potential clients within 48 hrs of breach. It seems from others that they knew a couple weeks ago? Humm.....
    Steve, no idea of USA law or how that applies to customers outside the USA. I just know that many companies have hidden breaches like this feeling it would hit their sales. I don't know the background to it but maybe it has taken two weeks for the breach to be found but at least we know and can take action. It's unfortunate timing for Alpha with V10 having just been released but I'd be interested to know who the service provider is that has been breached.

Real Name
    Steven McLean

Ross, not there is nothing bizarre about obeying the law. What is though is praise for doing so.

Real Name
    Steven McLean

Geoff, I am aware many companies do hide these breaches, that however does not make those that follow the law be anything special.

We are not in the US but Canada.

Real Name
    TOM MCCANN

10/13/2009 Purchase PURCHASE CABELAS.COM*110832 10/12 $98.00
    10/21/2009 Deposit REFUND CABELAS.COM*110832 10/16 $98.00

Quote Originally Posted by CraigSchumacker View Post
    Tom:

I believe this replay will generate an email to you.

Please return to this thread as soon as you have time. I am trying to establish a timeline for the compromise of Alpha's outsourced web host. I, too have a Cabela charge on my card.

Chase claims this started on or about October 25, 2009. I am concerned I may have to go through all my records to track down earlier issues.

Thanks,

Craig

Real Name
    Craig Schumacker

Tom:

Thanks, that ties in with the same time line. I am assuming the culprits are working their way through the table, and working with card info that has not expired.

I'm going to take it that my problems started on 10/25. Thanks, you saved me a bit of work and research.

Craig

Real Name
    Geoff Meredith

Geoff, I am aware many companies do hide these breaches, that however does not make those that follow the law be anything special.

We are not in the US but Canada.
    Steve I can see you are from Canada but Alpha is based in the USA. I have no idea what the law is in the USA governing this type of situation. As such when I praised them I did not know they were under any legal obligation to notify us. In fact I must admit my ignorance I don't even know what the UK law is for this situation.

That being send the praise still stands. It does no harm and reinforces that it is the commercially and morally sensible thing to do in my opinion. That it may also be a legal one all the better.

Just my opinion though however bizarre it might be;).

Real Name
    Steven McLean

Accepting Credit cards from Canada, you are governed by the laws of Canada. The notification appears to be in excess of 2 weeks after the fact which is far from abiding to the law not to mention warranting praise!

Real Name
    Ted Berry

Mine was on 10-19-09 for $95 at Cabelas.com. I also had a $50 at Golfsmith International.
    Ted

Real Name
    Geoff Meredith

The notification appears to be in excess of 2 weeks after the fact which is far from abiding to the law not to mention warranting praise!
    Interesting. Surely the law must be 48 hours from becoming aware of the breach. How do you know Alpha were aware of the breach two weeks ago. Just because the fraudulent acts occurred two weeks does not mean Alpha was aware of the breach at that time. Just speculation on both our parts as we cannot know unless Alpha have told you they were aware of this two weeks ago.

Did they? If they did then yes it doesn't look too favourable but I will give them the benefit of doubt until proven otherwise.

Real Name
    Ross

Accepting Credit cards from Canada, you are governed by the laws of Canada. The notification appears to be in excess of 2 weeks after the fact which is far from abiding to the law not to mention warranting praise!
    I haven't a clue what you are talking about. Nothing posted here makes it 'appear' the notification is in excess of 2 weeks after the fact. What gives you the idea they were not timely with notification?

Real Name
    Ross

Ross, not there is nothing bizarre about obeying the law. What is though is praise for doing so.
    Maybe that's how you do things in Canada, in the US there is nothing inappropriate or bizarre as you say about saying thanks.

Real Name
    Ross

FTC: Information Compromise and the Risk of Identity Theft: Guidance for Your Business

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/busi...eft/bus59.shtm

FTC: Facts for Consumers - Credit, ATM and Debit Cards: What to do if They're Lost or Stolen

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...dit/cre04.shtm

Detection and Punishment

In the US, people that commit credit card crime largely go unpunished and repeatedly victimize consumers and businesses.[citation needed] The Secret Service handles crimes involving the U.S. money supply; they have a limit of $150,000 before investigating each crime.[citation needed] Most credit card criminals know this and keep purchases from any one business below $150,000. Credit card fraud can be reported to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and to local and regional authorities. It is the standing policy of the FTC not to investigate reports where the value of fraud does not exceed $2,000. Local law enforcement may or may not further investigate a credit card fraud, depending on the amount, type of fraud, and where the fraud originated from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_card_fraud

Real Name
    Doug Page

Quote Originally Posted by RossAllen View Post
    Maybe that's how you do things in Canada, in the US there is nothing inappropriate or bizarre as you say about saying thanks.
    I am from Canada and have had my CC breached 3 times. I never received any kind of notice the first 2 times but Alpha came through and did let me know that this current occurance could have been from this breach of their ISP.

As such I would like to thank them for letting all of us know. It appears that many have not been compromised and have now had the heads up to get their cards changed.

Real Name
    Cliff Wenger

Thanks for sharing, people. Someone from Cabela's called me in late October questioning a $100 charge on my credit card. I immediately cancelled my card. I had just renewed my vehicle registration online, and was sure that someone from DMV had used my card - I never even thought about my Alpha order, since it was nearly two weeks before that.

That you Alpha for the email alert.
    Cliff

Coffee tastes better if the latrines are dug downstream from an encampment.
    - US Army Field Regulations, 1861

Real Name
    Douglas Wiegand

Pretty safe bet that the perpetrators have been putting through fraudulent charges through Cabela's. In mid October I found a bogus Cabela's charge posted on my card 10/13 for $97 for a gift certificate. Immediately contacted Cabela's to get the charge removed and had my bank cancel and reissue my card. Didn't have any idea at the time how or where my cc number had been compromised but no doubt now that it was through the Alpha breach. Sort of pity Cabela's as they must have quite a few bad transactions to reverse. Fortunately for them they can void the gift certificates if they haven't been used yet - the one on my card hadn't been used yet. I hope nobody here sufffers any serious financial consequences. If you used a card with Alpha at any time in the past couple of years or so that remains valid then I would say you need to get it cancelled and reissued immediately. The last time I had used my card with Alpha was over a 18 months ago.

Real Name
    Dave Mason

I don't want stones to start flying and I also got the email, but if something can't get reversed or fixed, i hope Alpha Software or their outsource has insurance.

More importantly, I hope they catch the thieves.

It seems it could be internal to Alpha since the card numbers are being used in Mass and not other places. Possibly an employee or ex employee.

I have a devious mind when it comes to stuff like this, so bear that in mind.

I am currently searching my records to be sure I was not hit too.

EDIT: I am showing nothing out of the ordinary.

Last edited by DaveM; 11-10-2009 at 01:32 PM.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Lou Milone

I had closed my cc yesterday after seeing the note, but today I got an email that someone in Europe put a charge just today on my PayPal account. I have just notified PayPal and opened a case to dispute the transaction.

So it's not just cc info that is being used.
    Last edited by Lou Milone; 11-10-2009 at 03:27 PM.

Real Name
    Craig Schumacker

Folks:

I also had a charge to Golfsmith. The third was "Internet Names For Business" or something similar.

I checked this morning, signing into my Alpha Store account. The credit card info was removed by Alpha Software, as promised.

I wouldn't be too hard on Alpha Software. Storing the data this way was commonplace back in the year 2001, when it was created.

We live and learn everyday...

At this point, we do have some clues to the perp. He plays golf, and totes a firearm...

Craig

"Certified" Alphaholic NoeticCC's Avatar
    Real Name
    Andrea Gill

Quote Originally Posted by CraigSchumacker View Post
    We live and learn everyday...

At this point, we do have some clues to the perp. He plays golf, and totes a firearm...
    Sounds like someone to stay away from...

Real Name
    Craig Schumacker

...And be sure to speak kindly of him. He has our addresses, too, as well as access to the board, and our passwords.

Real Name
    Dave Mason

I am not trying to be hard on Alpha.

I do not fear anybody. I hope that is shared by all.

Besides, this one should be easy for the police to catch.

Last edited by DaveM; 11-10-2009 at 03:28 PM.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Lou Milone

Just to let you all know what happened, I called PayPal and found out that someone actually logged into my account using my password and made a transaction. My password must have been compromised via the ISP breach that Alpha told us about, because I did use PayPal to purchase V10. This unauthorized access originated in Europe.

Real Name
    James Miles

I had the same thing (Cabela gift card) on 10/14/2009. I ordered/gave card # over the phone to Alpha back when V9 came out. Really stinks on Alpha's part I learned about this on a message board and not by any sort of notification from them.

Real Name
    Jeff Ryder

Milesjg,

Actually many of us did receive emails from Alpha dated 11/09 informing us of the breach. Maybe Alpha does not have a current email address for you.

Later: Just noticed that my email from them was tagged as Norton spam but I always check my spam folder before deleting.
    Jeff Ryder

Real Name
    Gil Smith

I don't wish to blame anybody without evidence but I paid Alpha on my credit card from the UK on 11th Sept 2009 and it was scammed in the States 2 weeks later. Luckily I did not lose any money. I did not receive an email warning me of possible security breach.

Gil Smith
    UK
    Last edited by Gil Smith; 11-10-2009 at 06:03 PM.
    Gil Smith

Real Name
    James Miles

jaryder;

Of course they have my e-mail. I get all sorts of e-mail from them. As a MINIMUM they should have posted something somewhere on this message board. Inexcusable.

Real Name
    Ira J Perlow

Hi Lou,

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Milone View Post
    My password must have been compromised via the ISP breach that Alpha told us about, because I did use PayPal to purchase V10. This unauthorized access originated in Europe.
    I'm pretty sure that if someone used paypal to make a purchase, they needed your login and password from paypal. While Alpha may have stored Credit card #'s on the web server, I don't believe there is anything to store for paypal. I'd look to another source for your case, perhaps a keylogger virus on your computer.

Steve (Wood),
    When I do store CC #'s and SS#'s in a database, I always leave them encrypted until actually entering a field for modifying them. Of course a good Alpha hacker could probably hack the encryption with access to the application, but that probably would stop 6 billion people minus about 10 on the planet!:D
    Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
    Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
    New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
    CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
    CSDA Screen Capture

"Certified" Alphaholic Tim Kiebert's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tim Kiebert

That certainly narrows the suspect list down quite a bit. And we know whose name would be at the top don't we. :D
    Tim Kiebert
    Eagle Creek Citrus
    A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.