Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Reports: Active Tables, Pasive Tables, SQL Joins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reports: Active Tables, Pasive Tables, SQL Joins

Thank you. I am finding it difficult to create a report the way I want by sql views alone so I nay give this a try.
    Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Comment

you can try "[PathAlias.ADB_Path]\Passive Link Tables\pas_client" for better portability
      Cheers
      Mauricio

Comment

Thank you. I am finding it difficult to create a report the way I want by sql views alone so I nay give this a try.
        Frank,

I had the same problem. Using the passive-link tables and refreshing on demand works pretty well. Just a tip: providing you define a filter on the passive-link table, you can pass filter arguments in a5_RefreshPassiveLinkTable ex:a5_RefreshPassiveLinkTable(table_i,.f.,.f.,args) to get only the data you need.

Jon

Comment

Sometimes you may have an issue with the database e.g. Quickbooks
          and 2 others connected in an app where there are 1,200,000 records. And to update them takes time 7-10 minutes. So I use a short cut and runs on a schedule I choose.

1-You need to have the Developers edition on the server where your app is running.
          2- you can create a short cut. Tools > Create ShortCut
          3- It runs a script.
          4- To ZAP the table, and run the query on a schedule at nite to pull those 1,200,000 records and no one even knows it is happening.

Shortcut-runs and runs without knowledge opens and closes too.
          -TITLE="Please wait while we update Quick Books Data"
          -NOSPLASH
          -MAXIMIZE
          -NOMINMAX
          -NOSYSMENU
          -COMMAND="SCRIPT_PLAY(\"testrunzap\");a5.close()"
          Nicholas Wieland
          LedgerSuite.com Corp
          [email protected]
          http://www.ledgersuite.com

Comment

I tried the above a5_RefreshPassiveLinkTable code in a report as a Report Event using OnPrintInit, but was unsuccessful. I was successful using the code in an a5w page, is this possible in a report?
            Thanks,
            Joe

Comment

I use this function for a lot of my reports but they are ALL called from an A5w "print" page for each report running on the server. I am pretty sure that is the only way to do this from the web.

Comment

If you are building reports based on SQL, use SQL datasources. These are saved as part of the database dictionary along with the reports. The database dictionary is then published to the server.

One advantage is that you can use a named connection just like in a component. A second advantage is the ability to saved the named datasource and use it for any SQL report. A third advantage it that the report will build a temporary passive link table with just the fields in the datasource and then clean up the temp files after the report is run. Since the table is built on demand, the data is always current.

Comment

In terms of performance, which would be the best option?
                  Cheers
                  Mauricio

Comment

I have a client using MySQL who has a situation that is similar to the original question, which is the parent, then about a dozen child tables, all one to many.

We started out with having all the tables joined, but couldn't figure out how to get around the repeating record problem for sub reports. I tried DISTINCT and GROUP BY, but couldn't get either to work, and scanning() and uniue_key_value() don't seem to work with an SQL data source.

I started working on the idea of using a union for the child tables and then a join to the parent table. That would have required the same number of columns in each child table to put them together end to end, but they were pretty similar to start with. I think that would have worked and may work in your situation if the test results tables have a similar structure. Never finished that, but I think it would work.

What we actually ended up with was amazing. My client created a dozen grids, one for each table, lined them up one after the other in a page and printed the page with the javascript command window.print(). I didn't expect it to work, but it does! I expected Alpha to lock up, but it just chugs away.

I added a little test so, if there are no records, the component doesn't get processed in the header and doesn't get output in the body, but even in the worst case it only takes about 8 seconds to generate the page with both of us clicking submit on the same record at the same time. And the client likes being able to see the results before they print.

Pat
                    Pat Bremkamp
                    MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Thank you Pat. I will give the javascript window.print() a try. I am currently using snagit but your idea is much more professional and easier.
                      Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Comment

I am trying to just print a snapshot of the detail view window. I there a way to refine window.print() to do that? If I call this code from the detail view window I get the parent window too.

Comment

Frank,

I believe window.print() prints the current active window. So, if you pop up your detail section in a separate window, you can print just that section. If you open in on the page, you'll get the background.

Pat
                          Pat Bremkamp
                          MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Thanks for your reply, I will have to experiment a litte more.

Comment

Add
                              window.print() + Grouping on Grid + Fussion Charts

and you get some very cool interactive reports
                              Cheers
                              Mauricio

Comment

Thanks Mauricio, that is a very interesting idea. I will be tackling charts in the near future. Right now I am just trying to print the contents of my popup detail view window. When I call the window.print() function from a button on the grid in the detail view I get the parent grid too. Any ideas regarding that issue?

Comment

Working...
                                X