Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Filter data by security group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filter data by security group

Goal:

Depending on security group, a user can/cannot see records from a table in a grid.

Example:

A Manager can see all sales records; an Analyst can only see records that satisfy a certain criteria (for example, all Active records).

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I have searched for solution but only found Filter by UserID, or CompanyID, etc., if UserID or CompanyID have a corresponding field in a table used in a grid.

I think it is possible to accomplish my goal by creating an individual page for every security group, however it appears to be lot simpler to just create a filter iif expression.

Thank you very much for your help.

(using v9 now, moving to v10 shortly)

Re: Filter data by security group

Here's how I do this. I set the following session variable in my application:

session.__protected__mygroups = crlf_to_comma(a5ws_get_user_assignments(session.__protected__ulink,request))

That gives me the security groups the logged in user belongs to and looks like this: "Users,Staff,Managers".

I also have a session variable to identify the user, based on security, named session.__protected__ulink.

Then in the grid filter I create an argument for the two session variables, named "mygroups" and "ulink" respectively.

And then use a filter such as:

id=:ulink .or. is_one_of("Administrators",mygroups)

That lists records belonging to the user if they are logged in, or all records if the Admin is logged in.

-----

I also have these session variables in my apps to do some of the other stuff you mentioned already knowing how to do.

session.__protected__allgroups = a5ws_get_groups(request,.f.)

session.__protected__companyid = lookupc("F",session.__protected__ulink,"Company_ID","[PathAlias.ADB_Path]\web_users","ID")

The last one is useful if your user records are 'multi-tier' as in your users belong to a Company. I place the Company ID right in the Users table. This lets the Company also manage the User list without seeing all records not belonging to them.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve, thank you for your quick response.

I will try this.

Elmira

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post

session.__protected__mygroups = crlf_to_comma(a5ws_get_user_assignments(session.__protected__ulink,request))

That gives me the security groups the logged in user belongs to and looks like this: "Users,Staff,Managers".

I also have a session variable to identify the user, based on security, named session.__protected__ulink.
        Steve,

I am a newbie to A5.

By saying "set in my application", do you mean you set

<%5a
        dim session.__protected__mygroups as c
        %>

in the beginning on the login page?

Thanks!

Elmira

Comment

I you want a fast start take a look at Steve's website.
          The Framework that Steve build is available for a fair price.
          A good way to learn about A5 Security and how implement it into your application.

Eric

Comment

Hi Steve,

I hope you can create a video for this just like the one you did in filtering based on userid. :)

By the, which website can i see your works about security?

Regards,

Marlon

Comment

Marlon,

It is www.alphatogo.com

CJ

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post

Then in the grid filter I create an argument for the two session variables, named "mygroups" and "ulink" respectively.

And then use a filter such as:

id=:ulink .or. is_one_of("Administrators",mygroups)

That lists records belonging to the user if they are logged in, or all records if the Admin is logged in.

-----

I also have these session variables in my apps to do some of the other stuff you mentioned already knowing how to do.

session.__protected__allgroups = a5ws_get_groups(request,.f.)

session.__protected__companyid = lookupc("F",session.__protected__ulink,"Company_ID","[PathAlias.ADB_Path]\web_users","ID")

The last one is useful if your user records are 'multi-tier' as in your users belong to a Company. I place the Company ID right in the Users table. This lets the Company also manage the User list without seeing all records not belonging to them.
                Steve,
                i tried to do this, but i cannot get the values (user name and user group) into the argument for the grid filtering.
                What i recognized is an automatic change when i insert the definition for the session variables.
                session.__protected__mygroups = crlf_to_comma(a5ws_get_user_assignments(session.__protected__ulink,request))becomes
                session.__protected__mygroups = "crlf_to_comma(a5ws_get_user_assignments(session.__protected__ulink,request))"
                . Can this be the problem ? If yes, how can i avoid this ?

Or is there a more detailed instruction available how to do the whole process of using the user login name and the user group name for grid selections ?

Many thanks for any help.
                Markus

Comment

I am interested in purchasing the Framework that Steve built.. I have looked at the link provided, but there is no price or way to purchase on the sample website.

Thanks much

Lucy

Comment

I should fix that. The Framework is the first item in my Store here: http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/

Once you are set up you can use my Forum for Q&A: http://forum.iadn.com/
                    Steve Wood
                    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Working...
                    X