Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Calc field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calc field

Is there any way to order a calc field?

FullAddress = Trim(MunNo) + " " + Trim(Address) + " " + Trim(UnitNo)

I would like the index order to be (Address) is this possible? (browse sorts by address, not MunNo when click the column heading)

Thanks

Re: Calc field

Not if its a calc display field defined in the layout.

If it's a table field for which you've defined a calc expression then that's a different matter, and it can be used in an index.

Comment

I can use a table field "Full Address, have it updated with any change in MunNo, Address or UnitNo. but in the browse I would like to display the full address, but if I click the column header. I would like to address index used?

123 Yonge St #1
      456 Yonge St
      845 Bay St

Can I create an index that would index Yonge St, Yonge St, Bay St, then 123, 456 ...

Thanks

Comment

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. -- tom

Comment

Can I create an index that would index Yonge St, Yonge St, Bay St, then 123, 456 ...
          Possible, but it would have no effect on how the column sorts. The sort ascending and sort descending are determined by the contents of the field. The sorts are probably speeded up if there is an index on the field.

Depending on the context of the browse, you might be able to use the Query menu, Select Index/Query, to get the results you want.
          There can be only one.

Comment

Put 2 column icons (with the up & down buttons to sort) and in their events run a query with the desired sort. A whole lot better than an index, specially in this context, unless you have an embedded browse with thousands of rows, an unrealistic, illogical and impractical scenario.

Comment

It is an embedded browse with 30,000 - 50,000 rows

Comment

Steven, if I were doing this I'd probably not use the calc field in a single column. I'd put the pieces (the fields) in separate columns. User can sort by address, city, street number, whatever they want.

Comment

Tom, I think that is what I will do. Combining made it more readable, but separate may be the best option for practicallity.
                  Thanks

Comment

Here is another option that may or may not be suitable.

In the browse add a column that is based on only the Address(street) field.
                    Then edit the display properties using the Edit Display format from the right click menu.
                    Add a text control item and set its expression to your desired combination.

This will have the effect of displaying the full address but the column will sort on the underlying data which is only Address(street).
                    Tim Kiebert
                    Eagle Creek Citrus
                    A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Hi Tim, I will try that. That is exactly what I wish to accomplish.

Thanks

Comment

Let us know how it goes.
                        Tim Kiebert
                        Eagle Creek Citrus
                        A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Working...
                        X