Alpha Video Training

Thread: Xdialog variable results question

Real Name
    Jack Ross

Default Xdialog variable results question

I have an Xdialog box that prompts for several variables, including one that looks up values from another table. I'm using the pipe character (|) and advanced formatting to create two columns in the combo box for for the dialog (e.g. Salesperson + "|" + SalespersonID). The combo box looks good, with a name in the first column, ID in the second.

What I'm trying to do is extract the ID from the second column and add it to a variable on the form. When I look at the resulting variable from the Xdialog, I see the name at the beginning of the string, and the ID at the far right of the string. But when I use alltrim(left) and alltrim(right) to extract the contents, the alltrim(right) returns, not the ID, but the right 5 characters of the first column (name). When you define multiple columns in a combo box, is only the first column the "real" one, or are any additional columns also captured?

Jack

Real Name
    Jack Ross

Default Re: Xdialog variable results question

Sorry, found the answer. The entire string including first and subsequent columns are indeed captured (just for information's sake). I was reassigning the same variable name to the alltrim(left) before I tried to capture the right portion of the variable to a different name. The result was that I was trying to extract the name only instead of the original full variable. Once I swapped the alltrim functions, everything is captured as it should be.

Jack