Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How to run multiple web sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to run multiple web sites

Originally posted by Chet Sapino View Post
    I guess I don't get what the real issues is here and why the necessity of not having a port redirect showing up in the url.
    Me neither. My $.25. Includes inflation
    Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Comment

Originally posted by Al Buchholz View Post
      or set the domain masking on with the domain settings at the registrar and then you never see anything other than a simple URL

I think the issues that are being presented here are relative to how to make different web serves work together....
      Domain masking can sometimes cause issues if you are using the URL within the application.
      Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Its fine if you are building a website for yourself or your family business. But no corporate client is going to accept a web address with the port number in the address. 80 and 443 are the standard web ports and that's what I am going to use. Alpha does not handle virtual hosting*, nor does it have advanced protection against attack, and those are two reasons to put another web server in front of Alpha.

I doubt it is a security risk, but when I see the port number in a URL I think 'test site' or phishing.

*V10 has some support using IP binding.
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
          Its fine if you are building a website for yourself or your family business. But no corporate client is going to accept a web address with the port number in the address. 80 and 443 are the standard web ports and that's what I am going to use. Alpha does not handle virtual hosting*, nor does it have advanced protection against attack, and those are two reasons to put another web server in front of Alpha.

I doubt it is a security risk, but when I see the port number in a URL I think 'test site' or phishing.

Agreed - it does seem like one is using a shared site that way. If i am a customer, and I am paying for a dedicated site, I do not want to see port numbers in my url.
          Bill Griffin
          Parkell, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post

I agree with standardized ports. In my network I only allow outgoing connections on standard ports. Port 80 and 443. If someone's website operates on a non standard port, a connection cannot be established from inside my network. This is done as a security precaution against unauthorized software.

Typically I only see a non standard port when a web app is running on a machine that is running other web hosting software. Also this is typically only on internal servers and not an external resource.

I recall a previous discussion where a A5 web developer lost a client because they could not connect to his non-standard port. So this issue does have ramifications beyond just what has already been discussed here.

I do have one question regarding how SSL certificates are handled when you are doing website re-directions. Does the user receive any error messages or is it all transparent even with SSL enabled?
            Andrew

Comment

Steve/others,

How did abyss work out? I have been to the site and do not wish to purchase the package without some input about their packages. The free one to test only allows 1 web site and I wanted to test with 3 to see if it works.

Thanks in advance.

Dave Mason
              [email protected]
              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Hello everyone

I have read this whole thread and a few points are over looked

First and biggest issue is the app server one port not 80 and 443
                you may be able to get around it using a second instance with a separate config file if you have a webstore and want a secure site but using paypal or other payment gateway for the money end cures that So the real need is for secure site is passwords etc.
                I have disabled the port 443 bond on my IIS server and can run the app server on port 443 happy while keeping my IIS server on port 80 when anybody asks about port 443 or HTTPS it is a secure
                standard site done

I have used IIS and Apache quite a bit since 1997 and something missing in this thread is the port 80 issue I have one dsl line and one dsl router with a port forward or firewall whatever you want to call it you can ONLY do one forward for each port Here it is IIS port 80 none for app server so port 8080 looks bad To do any redirects or any other means of re-write as Apache calls it you are the app server one domain no way to even do a clean directory structure with the app server

I have worked on this several different times as a project and it always comes up the same BLOCKED by the limitations of the app server until Alpha builds a server with some functionally in it we are stuck I again have looked at mod-rewrite rule host header names port forwards everything that is half way clean and not a nightmare to administer

The machine with the app server is good for one site period with one ip address to it this means if you host customers using Alpha Application Server getting a connection for each one

A note to end Alpha's server should be un-limited domains as the runtime license is but they can't make it work Every time I work on this I get more disgusted with the limitations and believe me I have looked at everything including building a CLOUD Server then I can buy a app server license for each client Alpha has information on multiple setups great 6 app servers 6 network cards again you need 6 routers to get 6 port 80's the standard HTTP port -------Apache = Named-Based-------IIS = Host Header Name-------------Alpha Application Server = ?

Without name-based domains or host-header names some way to answer multiple requests to one port I have found no clean work-around in approx 100 hrs of work only simple fix 100 hrs @ $85 per my standard network administration charge = $8500 the answer----------
                10 cheap servers
                10 app server licenses

SHOT MY $8500 didn't I

This is not a RANT but cold hard facts

Comment

A little follow up

How can Abyss Web Server be so cheap?

It will host several sites or Apache is free and what about IIS it is included in Windows they all host several websites either on port 80 or 443 or both Then what it will only let you install one secure cert

Alpha sells us the tools to build applications but lacks the means for us to display our hard work Raise the developer price if they have to but give us a COMPLETE server at a reasonable price

This is about like PayPal only collecting some of the money for the products we develop to sell or a client paying what they feel like Look at the time spent on this thread trying to get the app server to work as it should New pricing structure for app server should be $19 to be priced as Abyss Web Server is

glbaird

Comment

Greg,

Did you try reverse-proxy in Apache? Abyss is suffering from slow development schedule, the reverse-proxy they say I need to run Alpha as a server behind Abyss is in version 2.7, and they haven't released that last time I looked.

What Northern Cal city do you live in? I am in Castro Valley.
                    Steve Wood
                    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Hey Steve

You live in Southern CA as we say up here

in Fortuna about 20 south of Eureka

I haven't tried reverse proxy yet as I have been trying to find a work around with IIS it looks like server 2008 has added a few more possibilities that Apache has had for some time

Ideal setup would be Apache if you don't need asp or asp.net as the config file is not that bad to deal with httpd.conf since Apache 2 they have split the conf file however A plain Centos box may be in line to test I just like Red Hat or Suse I don't like Debian / Ubuntu different operations

I have a fresh SME server loaded on a spare box and will dig into that for awhile for reverse proxy Here's a good link

http://www.apachetutor.org/admin/reverseproxies

SME server is a great little server system easy admin and complete I have had one running for about 6 years It only goes down when I lose power Link below

http://wiki.contribs.org/Main_Page

A bit off of the forum now somewhere you just have to make a line in the sand It boils down to Alpha app server limitations
                      that is what needs fixed All of our time to use a product we bought should have been put into the building of the app server

Alpha will do some great things but WE have to be able to peddle our wares as they say

Greg

Comment

Greg,

I spent two years at Humboldt State in their Geology program, and one year logging along the Klamath River. So I know the coast and the redwoods, and the perpetual Arcata fog.

Another often overlooked reason to have IIS or Apache in front of the WAS is to block access to bad bots, search engines ranges of IP's, etc. My sites get hit by bots looking for PHP pages in an attempt to hack. I have no PHP pages, but their rapid-fire hits can cause server slowdown.
                        Steve Wood
                        See my profile on IADN

Comment

visit the website here http://www.owasp.org/

It's all about Webapplications Firewall

Comment

Has anyone tried this:

keyfocus server at http://www.keyfocus.net/kfws/

I searched and found nothing on the board. I will try it out over the next few days to see if it does what I want.

Dave Mason
                            [email protected]
                            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

@Dave,
                              Looks like the webserver hasn't been updated in over 3 years..

Alan

Comment

Hello Everyone

I have a bit more testing on Apache but Steve provoked me to take a look Simple enough if you don't need or want IIS for asp pages
                                Apache is pretty easy to admin but like most docs are poor on examples

This works in the Apache httpd.conf file ---- wish I had another dsl line to leave my testing site up anyway

Apache server for windows
                                Alpha Application server - using version 8 to test but 10.5 works too

Apache loaded with defaults
                                httpd.conf file edited to turn on ALL proxy modules then I made a virtual host entry You can put these at the bottom of the httpd.conf file so you don't hash up the rest

# comments out the line used a few for notes for your understanding read between the lines as they say
                                <VirtualHost *:80>
                                # ServerAdmin [email protected] --- use if you want
                                ServerName mydomain.com
                                ServerAlias www.mydomain.com
                                # ---------------------
                                ProxyRequests Off
                                ProxyPreserveHost On
                                ProxyPass / http://localhost:8080/a5webroot/site1/
                                ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:8080/a5webroot/site1/
                                # ----------------------
                                </VirtualHost>

# comments out a line if you have a error in the httpd.conf Apache will not start so use # to kill one line at atime until you get it to start then you can find your error

NOTE use the -X command when starting Apache to show errors if needed

You can add another virtual host like above for your domain name changing the <VirtualHost *:443> for running app server on secure port IF you have 2 instances running

IE:
                                2 config files for the app server TOO bad Alpha 1 server running just using 2 ports as it should be able to FREE ones can

haven't tried this yet but will -------------------
                                copy and paste the Virtual Host file to add another but change
                                ServerName
                                ServerAlais
                                Proxy settings to other site
                                / http://localhost:8080/a5webroot/site2

don't overlook the space between the / and http
                                and your proxy locations

glbaird

I will leave the site up for a day no big deal dsl not the fastest lucky to not still be using dial-up ---------The setup is Apache running on a box called SME with the virtualhost box 2 is where app server is called icue just what I had to work with today SME is Linux but I have tested it using Win2k Advanced Server to get it working same box as the app server but it is old and slow
                                again both can be on the same box but proxy will reach another box too App server is named alpha8 on port 8080 the proxy retains the requesting url link below to test

http://www.gregorybaird.com
                                Last edited by glbaird; 12-27-2010, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X