Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Installation question for Vista doesn't show port 80 so that the app can be changed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation question for Vista doesn't show port 80 so that the app can be changed

Hello,

Appreciate the information in your response. Problem not yet solved for the following reasons.

1. Can't find an IIS anywhere listed by that name.
    2. The code opened the port declarations properly, but only reflected those in Vista's extra category from 46000 to 65000 numbers. Did not show or anything less that opened in those numbers. Fport is not for Vista.
    3. Spent some time in MS forum for vista following the same complaints. But nothing in reply showed the way. And they are 3 years old.
    In case you are not working this weekend, am going to post this on the forums so I can get on with my work.

I use Ultimate.

jc

Jesse Collins
    Author: The Etiotropic Trauma ManagementTM Series
    Trauma Resolution TherapyTM (TRT)

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2009 8:30 PM
    To: [email protected]
    Cc: 'James Andrews'; [email protected]; 'Alpha Software Technical Support'
    Subject: SPAM-LOW: RE: Alpha Support Confirmation

Hi Jesse,

Port 80 in use is probably IIS. To find out for sure what is using port 80
    follow this link for instructions

http://support.alphasoftware.com/alp...standing_Port-
    in-Use_Problems.htm

If in fact it is IIS that is using port 80 follow these instructions below

If you go to IIS you can stop the services using port 80 (companyweb and
    Default web site), or you can change those services to run on say port 8080
    and then port 80 is available to run the Application Server. Right click the
    item (companyweb and then Default web site), go to Properties and change
    accordingly.

I have copied the customer service/sale folks at Alpha regarding acquiring
    documentation and the CD

Thanks,
    John

You Wrote:

V10, app server, runtime and mailer.
    Everything seemed to install on its on. App server says it is on. also have
    a runtime, but don't know how to turn it on. Not thinking about the mailer
    but says is installed.
    When I'm working in V10 of the writer, I punch the app server button and get
    an error message. says port 80 in use by something else and to remove the
    other product's plug there. Beyond me. So set the app server port at 85 and
    also the writer or developer. same message.
    I would like someone to come online and make sure the environment is hooked
    up, first for developing and trying desktop apps and then web apps.
    May I have a referral to the best beginners' database development of desktop
    and web apps that works relatively closely in principle to Alpha 5. I need
    really basic stuff what connects with what and what the goals are of the
    various features. I would like to have the free cd mailed to my home that
    has a course I reviewed earlier online. Supposed to be for beginners. Hope
    not just for beginning with alpha 5 v10 but with lots of experience with the
    essentials. I have none to speak of and have forgotten what I learned with
    cold fusion 10 years or so ago. I have a half GB of web distance learning I
    want to convert to database apps for the desk top and Web. My clientele is
    built in.
    Summary. Please get me past the install and connections of the various parts
    and I request the CD referenced in the reviews. Plus if there is a great
    book that i should read to understand the basics of what I'm doing, I would
    appreciate that reference very much.
    Jesse Collins
    Author: The Etiotropic Trauma ManagementTM Series
    Trauma Resolution TherapyTM (TRT)

-----Original Message-----
    [mailto:[email protected]]
    Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2009 4:21 PM
    To: [email protected]
    Cc: [email protected]
    Subject: Alpha Support Confirmation

Dear Jesse Coillins,
    Thank you for submitting your support request. A technical support
    representative will be contacting you as soon as possible.
    Thank You,

Alpha Software Technical Support

Install issue for newly purchased V10 bundle.

This is my second message. And have been to technical for install assistance. Placed that information in the first message.

Have installed all Writer, Server and Runtime ok. But from within writer app server is giving a message I now have found comes with Vista apparently. Shows port 80 in use and instructs to change. Followed the commands from tech as to how to view port assignments. regrettably, 80 is not shown. Only relfects vista's (Ultimate) default ports 46000 through 65000 numbers. So can't trace to the program. I do not show IIS on this system as suggested by tech to be the traditional user of that port.

This is will be a change from running standard Web 1.0 distance learning to 2.0 and will take a couple of years. So I will adapt now accordingly as I create this environment around Alpha 5 for achieving this conversion. Would appreciate private opinion. I will be employing mentoring services next month.

Have two questions.
    1. Can anyone point the way to finding and reassigning another port so as to open 80 for the Alpha 5 app server.

2. Is there an opinion in DB development that there is a better OS than vista for this kind of work. Windows 7 for example. I do need to stay in windows.

Hope someone can help.

Jesse Collins

Comment

Working...
    X