Alpha Video Training

Thread: windows 7 64 bit - issues

Real Name
    Daniel Weiss

Default windows 7 64 bit - issues

is anyone using v10 application server with windows 7 and 64 bit (with multiple monitors)?
    (i have a NVIDIA QUADRO NVS 420 x16 512MB - with 3 monitors)
    if yes are you seeing any issues?
    examples;
    My CPU usages is about 50% for alpha v10 whenever a component is open in edit mode (even idle)
    i get errors when trying to click on "insert placeholder" or "grid method", and i can't select it
    etc,
    i would appreciate any feedback ,
    Thank you
    Daniel Weiss
    EZ Link Software

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Bill Griffin

Default Re: windows 7 64 bit - issues

Running Win7 64 bit Nvida Geoforce 8600 GT with 2 monitors and not seeing any problems like you describe.
    Bill Griffin
    Parkell, Inc

Volunteer Moderator drgarytraub's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dr. Gary Traub

Well, is anyone still having printing issues with Windows 7 64 bit?

When I try to print a report, I get:

"The requested URL/session_folders_- long number /tempreport.pdf was not found on this server."

This is with the v10 server on windows 7 64 bit.

------------------------------------------------------------
    If I try the same thing on same machine but using v9 server, I get a different error:

Alpha Five Printer (for creating PDF, RTF, and HTML output) is not installed. Re-install Alpha Five

Anyone have a fix?
    Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Real Name
    Martin Heller

What version numbers are you running?

Real Name
    Dr. Gary Traub

Quote Originally Posted by mheller View Post
    What version numbers are you running?
    I am not sure what you mean? Versions 9 and 10 ....
    Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Real Name
    Martin Heller

Do a Help|About Alpha Five...

We need the contents of the version line and the System Addins line. In my case that's Version 10, Build 2736 with Addins build 3523.

If you have an older build, then you need to look at the release notes to see if your bug has already been fixed. You may also find workarounds in the release notes.

If you have the latest build and it appears from the release notes and the feedback from other users that you have encountered a new bug, feel free to report it through the normal channels.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    eric

Quote Originally Posted by drgarytraub View Post
    Well, is anyone still having printing issues with Windows 7 64 bit?

When I try to print a report, I get:

"The requested URL/session_folders_- long number /tempreport.pdf was not found on this server."

This is with the v10 server on windows 7 64 bit.

If I try the same thing on same machine but using v9 server, I get a different error:

Alpha Five Printer (for creating PDF, RTF, and HTML output) is not installed. Re-install Alpha Five

Anyone have a fix?
    Gary,

I found this on the board:
    Go to the Alpha5 Program directory. Find the file named InstallAmuyuniPrinters. Run the program and everything should work. (You may have to run it twice). Tip run as Administrator.
    About the session folders your is when running V10 search for Config questions Application Server latest patch and work around from Lenny/Peter.

Real Name
    Dr. Gary Traub

Martin,

I know about version and build numbers etc, but since I was having this problem on both versions 9 and 10, and since there are no recent builds of version 9, I thought it was certainly a windows7 issue. However, and I do not know why, but I have completely uininstalled versions 9 and 10, and now just installed version 9 AS AN ADMINISTRATOR, and the reports seem to work. I had tried that before and it didn't help. Why it worked now, I do not know ...

Eric,

Thanks for that, but I had already tried that advice multiple times and it did not work for me.

Regarding the config issue, that sounds very relevant - Can you tell me the exact keywords to search for - I tried "Config questions Application Server" and nothing ...

In general, I think windows 7 64 bit has introduced some quirks for the alpha products that noone seems to have yet figured out a consistent approach to overcome.
    Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    eric

Quote Originally Posted by drgarytraub View Post
    Martin,

I know about version and build numbers etc, but since I was having this problem on both versions 9 and 10, and since there are no recent builds of version 9, I thought it was certainly a windows7 issue. However, and I do not know why, but I have completely uininstalled versions 9 and 10, and now just installed version 9 AS AN ADMINISTRATOR, and the reports seem to work. I had tried that before and it didn't help. Why it worked now, I do not know ...

Eric,

Thanks for that, but I had already tried that advice multiple times and it did not work for me.

Regarding the config issue, that sounds very relevant - Can you tell me the exact keywords to search for - I tried "Config questions Application Server" and nothing ...

In general, I think windows 7 64 bit has introduced some quirks for the alpha products that noone seems to have yet figured out a consistent approach to overcome.
    here is the post from Lenny last week:
    The patch did change the location used for session folders. It used to be hard-coded to "session_folders" within the document root, but it has been changed to use a server-generated value for a number of reasons.

I'm not sure why you have an alias to the session folders though, you can (and should) simply use session.session_folder and session.session_url in your Xbasic code to refer to the correct location. If you use these constants in your code instead of an alias, your application should work properly.

However, if you prefer to leave your application unchanged and instead return to using session_folders, you can edit your server's XML configuration file (which can locate by using A5_GetAppServerConfigFile() in the interactive window) to set the SessionFolders.Path and SessionFolders.Url properties.

In this case, the correct values would be

SessionFolders.Path = "S:\a5webroot\session_folders\"
    SessionFolders.Url = "/session_folders/"

-Lenny