Alpha Video Training

Thread: Parameters

Real Name
    Elizabeth L

Default Parameters

I am new to this program. I have successfully created a report. I've created a balance report. However I am finding difficult in changing the original parameter.
    I know how to set up a parameter from scratch. But I want to change the parameter with a report that I have already created that has the original parameter active. How do I go about doing that?

Any help is very appreciated!

Thanks!

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Mike Christensen

Default Re: Parameters

Hi Elizabeth and welcome to the forums!

First, more information will be needed....

Did you create this Balance report from scratch using the tables that QRB has or did you base your report on an existing QuickBooks' report?

What parameters are you referring to (there are several that can be used)?

How did you set the parameter intially? And how do you envision being able to set these for the created report?

Give these (or more!) specifics and I will see what I can do to help.
    Mike

Real Name
    Elizabeth L

Mike,

We created the Balance report from scratch using tables.

When setting up the report, I went to the creat a new report, Picked the type of report I wanted (balance) and then when it said select a filter I beleive we used Fiscal Year.

How do we go about changing the originial parameter, which in this case would be the fiscal year we put on? What if we want it to pop up and ask what year we want to use or what time frame we want to use.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Mike Christensen

Hi Elizabeth,
    I almost missed this post...again! What you want to do is doable, but not as straight-forward as you may want. This is due to the fact that you have not actually built the report from the tables but, in fact, have used the existing report from QuickBooks and brought in the data from the report into a table that QReportBuilder built just for it. These types of reports based upon QuickBooks reports are a little bit different than one based upon a table.

One way is you can adjust the fiscal year or DateFrom / DateTo parameters directly in the report definition by editing....each time you wish to change it. The table does not have a date field which makes this the basic way in which to specify a date range.

The way that you envision this I believe, however, is to be able to call up whatever date range you want just prior to the report. Herein lies the problem----the parameters cannot be changed via arguments like a regular table so.....It can be done, but involves a more advanced technique.....that is scripts and code.

I will try and think of an easy way to explain this or show this to you if wanted....but will have to wait until after the holidays!! (well, at least until after Christmas!) :)
    Mike

Real Name
    Barry J. Hill

I posted a reply in a different thread but it seems that specifying a date range outside of the parameter area is not so easy when using the QB reports as a basis. I started originally basing a report on the iteminventory table but quickly found there was no simple way of getting a "date to" filter. The quantity includes whatever the last transaction (in or out) and I do not see a way of getting a last month number let alone a specific date. It seems a new iteminventory table would have to be created each time you wanted a specific historical inventory.

I am looking for a way to get an item quantity report that is date based without having to re-recreate the report each time I want a different date and preferably not using the QB reports (limited data available). Any help would be appreciated.