Alpha Video Training

Thread: A5Doc won't install on Windows 7

Real Name
    Barry Kucher

Unhappy A5Doc won't install on Windows 7

My Development machine took a hard drive hit and the drive was KAPUT. I went out and purchased (2) 1 Terabyte drives to put in my recently purchased Dell. Recently I have had drives fail at an alarming rate. I support about 200 systems and I probably lost 8-10 drives in the past 6 months.

Since I had the opportunity, I decided to go with the latest and greatest Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit version. Most software has installed fine except for MS Foxpro 2.6 which I expected because it is a 16 bit application.

After reinstalling Alpha 5 V10 and entering my license key, I then tried to install A5Doc_v6_97 which as far as I know is the latest version. The install fails with the following errors: "Couldn't read destination directory from registry. Aborting", then Initialization failed. Aborting. Error code: -20"

Has anyone else got this installed under Windows 7 64 Bit? I have been using this addon since V6 and I don't know what I will do if I can't get it installed. I still can't believe this is an add-on and not part of Alpha directly. (Or is it?)

How do developers scrutinize their tables if you can't print out the table's structure.

PLEASE HELP!!!:mad:

---------------------------------------------------
    Barry Kucher
    http://www.411tech.org

VAR
    Real Name
    Bill Parker

Default Re: A5Doc won't install on Windows 7

A5Doc works fine with A5v10. I have just installed on a Win7 ultimate 64 bit and got the same error as you did. The problem seems to be with the Astrum installer that is used for installing A5Doc. I will probably need to recreate the installer with a new version of Astrum.

But there is a workaround! (if you have another working install of A5Doc on another conputer) From an existing installation of A5Doc...
    1. copy the A5Doc folder and paste it to the A5v10 folder. You should end up with ...\A5v10\A5Doc
    2. from the other copy of A5, copy the contents of the Control_Panel_Addins folder and paste that into the control_panel_addins folder in Win7.

Then you can start A5 and a5Doc will be available to register.

I am working on getting an updated installer for Win7.

Bill.

Real Name
    Barry Kucher

Bill:

Thank you very much for your quick reply. Unfortunately I do not have another machine to take the files required.

If it does not violate any license agreements, can you zip these folders and email them to me? Otherwise, I will have to wait for the update.

Just knowing that it is compatible, let's me breath a sigh of relief. Your software is SO IMPORTANT to me that if you said it was not compatible, I would have seriously considered reformatting with the 32 Bit version of Windows 7.

Thank you again for a GREAT product. You should advertise it more. There are probably 100's, if not 1000's of Alpha programmers that are not aware of your product.
    :):D;)

Please reply to this thread when you have the new version ready for distribution.

Now I can have a Merry Christmas. (Even though I am Jewish)

Merry Christmas to all, and all a good night.

Barry Kucher

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

not that's a great compliment if i ever heard one - ditto for me, too. been using it since 4.01.
    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
    972 524 8714
    martin_w_cole@msn.com

"Certified" Alphaholic glenschild's Avatar
    Real Name
    Glen Schild

Ditto

First add-in that gets installed.
    Glen Schild

My Blog

Real Name
    Jack DeBoer

Quote Originally Posted by 411tech View Post
    My Development machine took a hard drive hit and the drive was KAPUT. I went out and purchased (2) 1 Terabyte drives to put in my recently purchased Dell. Recently I have had drives fail at an alarming rate. I support about 200 systems and I probably lost 8-10 drives in the past 6 months.
    Have you figured out why you have lost so many hard drives?

Real Name
    Barry Kucher

Talking Re: A5Doc won't install on Windows 7

I don't think it's me. I support about 200 Desktop PC's and 8 Servers.

Each server has RAID Mirroring and I have not lost a hard drive on a server in a couple of years. I also get my clients to use Buffalo Terastation Network drives. I use RAID 5 on them so a 1 Terabyte unit has 4 drives but actually gives us 750 Gigs of storage. I have only lost 1 drive in 1 unit years ago. Of course since we were using RAID we lost no data. I highly recommend their products. Their Linkstation Pro DUO is a cheap 2 drive unit with raid 0 & 1. It allows access over the internet using their website or directly to the unit.

But workstations that are 3 - 4 years old have been experiencing more failures than normal. I usually replace 3-5 hard drives a year, but this year it has almost doubled.

I think it has to do with the quality of electricity in NJ and my users connecting space heaters to my UPS's even though I have repeatedly told them that nothing gets plugged into the UPS's by anyone else but me.

Also, my UPS's are getting old and that might be an issue. They are probably 7 years old, even though it feels like I just bought them. My remote sites tend to try and fix things themselves and when the battery dies on the UPS, they just connect everything to a power strip.

Also I think the issue has to do with my clients depending more and more on me as a consultant. Two of my largest clients with multiple sites in multiple states have used the economic downturn to get rid of their internal Tech Support staff (1 Person at each client).

This has increased my time under the desk substantially. Even though they got rid of their own techs, they only got a price reduction out of me. I still am undecided who is better off. The techs that got released or me.

Once things pick up again, I will have to reevaluate my situation. With my daughter graduating college in May, I might decide to head south and west.

Barry Kucher

VAR
    Real Name
    Bill Parker

Barry,

The new installer for Win7 64 bit is finally ready. It can be downloaded here. Installs fine for me. Let me know if there are any issues.

Bill.

Real Name
    Barry Kucher

Smile Re: A5Doc won't install on Windows 7

Thank you very much. The program installed without a hitch.

Barry Kucher

VAR
    Real Name
    Bill Parker

Great!

Bill.