Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

My old "friend" is back to haunt me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My old "friend" is back to haunt me.

While trying out Apha 5 V9 I used to receive an error "Record locked by another session or user." on a certain module. Tried everything and nothing woould solve the issue. Read every article on here and nothing worked. Decided to go with Version 10. Installed it on a stand-alone system and everything worked. Moved the files to the server (Windows 2003 Small Business Edition Server), gave all the appropriate rights to the users. Every module worked excepting the one that used to give the error. I cleaned the table, re-imported the data, packed the table and set. Nothing. Still the same issue and same error message. I am trying to post payments from the Payments table to the Invoice table. I have a feeling it is a relationship issue but I could not find anything wrong with the relationship or with the tables. I am at a toal loss here. Any ideas?

Maybe I should just stick Alpha 5 Version 1.

Re: My old "friend" is back to haunt me.

There is always a lot of speculation as to why records can lock on any given process so I would post a zip of your DB with a set of steps you take to get the error.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Regards
    Mark Pearson
    [email protected]
    Youtube channel
    Website

Comment

Tell us about the context in which this occurs. What tables and sets are open? If a set is being used have you enabled referential integrity in its specifications? Something you are doing (or permitting) seems to be locking the target record in your invoice table. Why is the invoice table open?

Comment

I agree with Tom. If this is reproducible, and version changes still present the problem, it's something you're doing. That's good news - it means it can be fixed.
        -Steve
        sigpic

Comment

Neil

Does this question relate to the other thread that you have?
          Sure sounds like it...

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...703#post521703
          Al Buchholz
          Bookwood Systems, LTD
          Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
          Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
          Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
          When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
          "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
          Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Thank you all for answering.

Tom, it is not related to the other post. I brought the database and the program home and tried it on my home computer and it shows the same problem.

Steve, the problem is reproducible because it happens everytime we open the Invoices Due module. The Invoice set has two tables - Invoice and Payments. The problem happens everytime we try to post a payment. The posted payment should show up in the Invoice table so that reports can be printed showing the aging.

I am not an Alphaholic :( and I don't pretend to be one though I am getting to be one with all the problems I am solving and with all your help. I am a Filemaker Pro and MS Access person. The database I am working with in Alpha was converted to Version 8 from Version 1 by another Alphaholic. We are having the problem in Alpha 8 too.

I do networking for the company that has the database and they asked me to look into this. I had no idea what I was getting into. They are still using Version 1 and want to move to Version 10. The problem I mentioned is the only one that is holding them back.

I wouldn't mind zipping the database but the company might because there is a lot of confidential data in it.
            Last edited by ViCas; 01-11-2010, 08:19 PM. Reason: Added some more description.

Comment

Neil, the message board presents difficulties in communicating. Would you mind taking a crack at answering the questions I posed in post #3. More details might help us suggest places to look.

Comment

Tom

It only happens in the one module I mentioned. They have an Accounts Receivable module under which comes Payments module, Invoices Entry module, Invoices Due module, etc When I open the Invoice Due module, it shows all the Invoices which is the Invoice Table. Below it is the Payment module. The user selects an Invoice to which a payment has to be applied and then goes to the Payment module and enters the type and date and amount of payment. This automatically posts to the Invoice table. This is where the error occurs.

Maybe I was wrong to call it a set. The form "Invoice Due" has the tables Invoice and Payments in it.

I understand what you are saying about a problem with the database and I am sure it is in the database. I am just trying to find out where and what it is. I am new to Alpha and I am trying to understand the way the software works.

I am not sure how else to answer your question.

Thank you for all your help.

Neil

Comment

Neil, open the "Invoice Due" form in design mode. Examine the topmost caption. You'll see the name of the form and you'll also see the name of the table or set upon which it is based. This will tell you if the form is based on a set or on a single table. If a set, as seems likely, you can examine the set specifications by choosing the tables/sets tab of the control panel, right clicking the set name, and the choosing the "Edit Set" option off the drop down list of menu choices. Examine the link. Is referential integrity enabled?

Comment

Tom

Thank you for pointing that out. It is a set called AR.set. It has three tables in it - Invoice, Payments and Customer. I tried what you suggested - enabling referential integrity. That didn't work. I have made images of the screens but I don't know how to attach them here.

Thank you for your help.

Neil

Comment

can you describe the steps you take before you get the error. EG Do you go from a menu or another form.

What tables/set was view you left based on. etc

can you check all other sets to see what the problems tables are connected to as well.

It seems to me you are going from a view to this one and that in the process a record is opened. This record may be opened by the previous view in some way and needs to be closed. It may well be the customer table etc etc

If there is a set change in the process then there may be a conflict between the two.

Actually - if you click a button to go to this problem view then put a step on the first line to close the view you are on.

To add images simply click the attachment button beneath your post when drafting it.
                      -----------------------------------------------
                      Regards
                      Mark Pearson
                      [email protected]
                      Youtube channel
                      Website

Comment

Neil, commnication is indeed difficult in this medium. I never recommended that you enable referential integrity. In fact, I was wondering if possibly having it enabled already might be the root cause for what you're seeing. RI locks the related records, and might explain why you couldn't post to the invoice table. Strange that you misread my request for information as a recommendation?

Something in your design (or the sequence the user follows) is locking the invoice table so it's inaccessible when you save your payment table record.

You haven't told us how you're doing the post. Is it by field rule?

If so, you might try entering a new payment record using only the default form for the payments table. No other forms should be open during the test, especially any that are based on the invoice table or based on a set containing the invoice table. Can you post correctly to the invoice table from the payments table default form?

Comment

Tom

I never did take your post as a recommendation. I understood it was a suggestion and that is what I am looking for now - suggestions. I tried what you mentioned. Even if a step doesn't solve my problem, I like to see what it will do. That is what I call a "Learning Process" and I feel that I am learning from the best. I REALLY, REALLY DO APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP YOU ARE PROVIDING A NEWBIE LIKE ME. :)

Post#8 explains how I am trying to post to the Invoice table.

I tried your suggestion about having only the Payments table open but that didn't work either.

I was going through the tables - Invoice and Payments - last night and found that some of the Invoice numbers (the linking key) do not match. I thought "WOW!!! I might be on to something here." I am deleting those records to see if that might be the issue. There are quite a few. I think it happened when the export was done between Version 1 and Version 8.

Neil
                          Last edited by ViCas; 01-12-2010, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Tom

Thank you very much for the help you provided.

The problem was with the import of data from Version 1 to Version 10. In the Invoice table under Field Rules the choice of "Auto Incremant" was marked. There were some invoice numbers that were bad and the rest of them incremented using that number. When the payment was being posted it couldn't find these numbers.

Neil

Comment

Neil, congratulations on successfully troubleshooting this. And thanks for letting us know what you found. Your experience may help other "travelers" who pass this way later on. -- tom

Comment

Working...
                              X