Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Version 11 Predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Version 11 Predictions

v10 is a superb product but alpha is always looking ahead
    This are some of my predictions for v11
    • Drag n Drop functionality in web apps
    • Integrated Charting Genie (im sort of cheating here since alpha made some declarations regarding this one)
    • Tons of action-javascripts
    • Introduction of Client-Side Xbasic (a translator from Xbasic to javascript)
    • Built in integration to some open source javascript libraries

what do you think?

By the way I predicted the use of ajax without coding and active link tables for v9, so hopefully my "crystal ball" is still working alright ;).
    Im going to look for those old post and link them here if i find them .
    Last edited by mmaisterrena; 01-29-2010, 01:50 PM.
    Cheers
    Mauricio

Re: Version 11 Predictions

My active Link Prediction back in the day
    Look at post #19
    http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ght=prediction

My Codeless Ajax prediction for v10 (sort of)
    Look at post #3
    http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...highlight=ajax
    Last edited by mmaisterrena; 01-29-2010, 01:30 PM.
    Cheers
    Mauricio

Comment

Originally posted by mmaisterrena View Post
      v10 is a superb product but alpha is always looking ahead
      This are some of my predictions for v11
      • Drag n Drop functionality in web apps
      • Integrated Charting Genie (im sort of cheating here since alpha made some declarations regarding this one)
      • Tons of action-javascripts
      • Introduction of Client-Side Xbasic (a translator from Xbasic to javascript)
      • Built in integration to some open source javascript libraries

what do you think?

By the way I predicted the use of ajax without coding and active link tables for v9, so hopefully my "crystal ball" is still working alright ;).
      Im going to look for those old post and link them here if i find them .
      And the image field(s) in Ajax grids have the same user upload/replace functionally as forms. IE click on image field and have the user prompted for image file name and have DB updated. If the image field was a link to another grid then be able to use a button on the row. I realize there is an Xbasic and JScript solution to this but if you read all the posts asking for help on this subject most are from new users and once in a while a seasoned desktop develpoer is asking for help. I have figured out how to do this with a Ajax Detail form but have not conquered it on multi Ajax rows grids.

Comment

Agree, V10 is available has looking towards V11 is a challenge.

I personally believe more in a roadmap in combination/ join venture with A5 developers like Steve, Bob, Peter, maybe myself and others..... everybody has as specialty

The calender you placed on the market, it's looking great
        So have others done great jobs.
        I think it's time to join forces.

I mentioned this to Richard a time ago,asking him to take the lead, but fortunately I received no-reply.

For the next 2 months I am willing to set something up and put my time in the "lets work together to" project.

Questions:

email : [email protected]
        pm : by the board

take care.

Comment

Working together is what IADN is all about. I encourage all to join at least with a free account. Click the IADN logo below.
          Steve Wood
          See my profile on IADN

Comment

At the moment, all the bling is with client side JavaScript, but I predict for V11 that Alpha will rediscover Xbasic and provide an easy tool for developers to write Xbasic for callback pages. For example, a page validation tool for the Xbasic in a page like the desktop script editors or a way to easily attach Xbasic scripts to unbound buttons.

Right now, for example, I have an Xbasic only page that has about 800 lines of Xbasic that does a number of table reads, a bunch of processing, table inserts and table updates. I process it by redirecting to the page then redirecting back. It would be slick to be able to easily assign that to a button ( like the dialog component allowed) and run it in a callback. I know it can be done now, but my point is easy.

I also predict that Alpha will beef up its CSS style sheets to cover common page styles as well as the current component styles instead of having CSS scattered all over the grid, then adding more stylesheets for headers, footers, and multple columns. Ideally, for those of us who are artistically challenged, they would partner with a company like Artisteer to create the Alpha specific styles (like glassblueColumnTD) out of the style displayed on the screen.

I also predict that Action Xbasic will become available in the events in the grids, modified of course to include the e's and rv's.

Finally, I predict that Alpha wil thrill and amaze us with something we never thought was possible. That's a pretty safe prediction since they've been doing that for years.

Pat
            Pat Bremkamp
            MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by mmaisterrena View Post
              [*]Introduction of Client-Side Xbasic (a translator from Xbasic to javascript.
              oh man, my crystal ball is as good as ever, the beginning of this feature is coming earlier than I expected. (Pat mentioned this too)

see the new patch release notes:

http://www.ajaxvideotutorials.com/V1...back_Part2.swf

Great Job Rabins and alpha team

and I forgot to write this other predictions:
              *Grouping in grids ("grouping records in grid based on a selectable field list adding totals for each group if defined")
              *Codeless ajax on Dialogs
              Last edited by mmaisterrena; 01-30-2010, 06:16 PM.
              Cheers
              Mauricio

Comment

WebServices....

Comment

Hi everybody,

Let my voice be heard :-)

What Alpha Five really needs to start addressing if it wants to be taken seriously in an Enterprise environment where a team of developers work on a project (rather than an individual in its corner up the alley), is the use of some sort of repository of all the objects that Alpha Five uses.

The repository should be some kind of middleware with a database backend like SQLite or MySQL or whatever. The middleware could be a windows service handling the client/server requests for storing/obtaining the project info and objects.

This would also require a different way of working with Alpha Five. MOre like a check out/check in mechanism where one person can be using page x, another one page y but no one should use the same page when somebody else does.

This is a serious caveat to implement (I'm still on Alpha Five 9). A project based approach where everything is checked in / out and the objects as forementioned are stored in a repository (database) seems to be the right approach for me.

There is a lot of potential in Alpha Five as a team-based development platform but it requires some serious thought on how to proceed.

Cheers
                  Steven

Comment

Today I'd like to see the crystal ball predict how many issues will come from a patch. I've spent the day tracking down a variety of issues with the last one. And this is not the first time.

I know that the team is working to make this the best product we can get, but I am real leary of doing any updates, at least for a few weeks after release and countless views of the message board. Seems we inevitably get patches on the patch, and I don;t have time to find and fix them all, especially when it mucks up a site that's working.

Sorry, it's been a frustrating 24 hours.
                    David Shaw
                    Manager of Media Services and User Support
                    Cleveland Museum of Art
                    Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

Dave,

You always have the option of reverting to an earlier patch. If it ain't broke, don't fix it (unless you read AND need the enhancements/bug fixes). I always will update my laptop with the latest and TEST away.

Kind of off topic, but I know the frustration.
                      Bill Griffin
                      Parkell, Inc

Comment

That is exactly what I had to do to day to keep my users in business. Reverting back after spending a day troubleshooting is really not an acceptable solution.

You may like the thrill of adventure, but I'm not keen about the agony of defeat.

My prediction is that Alpha will develop a complete and thorough testing group and run product through numerous tests before releasing an update to the development population.
                        David Shaw
                        Manager of Media Services and User Support
                        Cleveland Museum of Art
                        Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

I predict that v11 will still be seriously lacking in hard copy documentation.
                          Tommy Thompson
                          Thompson Consulting Services
                          Beautiful Kentucky Lake, Springville, TN 38256
                          [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Editor View Post
                            That is exactly what I had to do to day to keep my users in business. Reverting back after spending a day troubleshooting is really not an acceptable solution.

You may like the thrill of adventure, but I'm not keen about the agony of defeat.

My prediction is that Alpha will develop a complete and thorough testing group and run product through numerous tests before releasing an update to the development population.
                            Dave,
                            My point was it is probably not a great idea to jump in with both feet BEFORE testing things yourself. Alpha is a product that is used many different ways by many different people in many different configurations. I had NO problems with the new patch, but that just means the things that are caused problems for others were not used by me. Although your prediction is what we would all like, there will always be a situation where some combination of things will not/can not be tested for. Since I cannot afford to be down, I invested in another server license that I use for testing purposes. My live server NEVER gets updated till I test new builds on my test server saving me a lot of aggravation and downtime and the agony of defeat is minimized.
                            Bill Griffin
                            Parkell, Inc

Comment

Let me seeeee..
                              Im sorry but the crystal ball only displays a black fog when I asked about that one. Oh Wait there is more�� a big company trying to buy alpha, and alpha rejects the offer (luckily for us). ;)
                              Cheers
                              Mauricio

Comment

Working...
                              X