Alpha Video Training
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A10 server will not start

Real Name
    John Hardy

Default A10 server will not start

Hello
    I downloaded Build 2727-3521 Jan 29-2010 and now my A5V19 sever will not start.

Maybe its a licence problem as if I start from A5ApplicationServer.exe I get Alpha Five Application Server Version 10(Unlicensed) as in the attached image.

Can anyone say where I can re insert my license number please?
    Many Thanks
    John
    Sorry
    Should be V10 server will not start
    Last edited by JH10; 02-02-2010 at 05:33 AM. Reason: error in title

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    eric

Default Re: A10 server will not start

In the application server tab [sessions] type the number and press activate.
    I think it's better to wait until the problems are solved with the latest patch.

Real Name
    John Hardy

Thanks
    I went into sessions and placed the license key for
    Alpha Five v10 Developer's Edition (upgrade) and get a message that this license has already been activated on another computer.
    This is correct as I have it on a machine here which I use for testing for port 80 use. This machine is switched off at the moment.

Maybe I should not be able to do this?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    eric

Your allowed to have two developer versions by laptop and PC.
    For the developer version activate the key is oke to develop under localhost , otherwise if you bought the WAS server you have to install that on the WAS application, that is a separate product.

Real Name
    John Hardy

I have a file called A5ApplicationServer.exe on both the Dev Machine and the test server.
    From what I understand this file should only be installed to the test server?
    At the moment the A5V10 test server will not start either.

Stange its always worked until now!
    I see I can remove this via Change Remove programs Alpha Five V10 Application Server on the development Machine.

Maybe I should reinstall a previous version. Any idea what number would be a good idea?
    Thanks
    John

"Certified" Alphaholic peteconway's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Conway

If you installed the latet patch then that's it, go back an edition. There is a problem with the patch.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)
    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

"Certified" Alphaholic NoeticCC's Avatar
    Real Name
    Andrea Gill

Quote Originally Posted by JH10 View Post
    I have a file called A5ApplicationServer.exe on both the Dev Machine and the test server.
    The developer edition has a localhost-only application server built in. But you must own a license for the web server to be able to run the web app server and access it from another machine. If you only have the developer edition then you should not be able to access the web app server from another machine for more than 30 minutes (I think there is a demo mode that makes it accessible for 15-30 minutes after starting up).

Real Name
    John Hardy

Thanks
    I have license numbers for these:

Alpha Five v10 Application Server (upgrade)
    Alpha Five v10 Runtime (upgrade)
    Alpha Five v10 Developer's Edition (upgrade)

Have had no problems previously.

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

John,

Read the latest release notes from this morning. You need to delete an xml file to make the latest patch work. Make sure you restart the server after deleting the file in question.

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

John,

On second thought, just roll back to Build 2659-3515. There are too many bugs in the current patch.

Real Name
    John Hardy

Thanks Peter,
    I will do that. I was getting confused as I was looking at the files at the top as being the latest. It would help if the issue date was included.

Perhaps I can just confirm my understaning is correct

1 Alpha Five v10 Application Server (upgrade)
    The above item is the server that is placed on a public web server for use on the internet. Only one license serves multiple web sites (domain)

The above items are can be used on the developer and or the web server?

Cheers
    John

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

John:

Alpha Five v10 Application Server (upgrade)
    The above item is the server that is placed on a public web server for use on the internet.

Correct

Only one license serves multiple web sites (domain)

Strictly speaking, one license serves one domain. There are ways to get around this. See http://support.alphasoftware.com/Wha...0/NewInV10.htm (How to run multiple applications or web sites by using multiple Application Server configuration files)

RT is desktop only, period.

The above items are can be used on the developer and or the web server?

This is how you create a database and/or a web application. You can apply your App Server license # to the developer platform in lieu of the app server, but that probably doesn't make sense in most cases. Develop locally, host publicly.

Hope that makes sense?

Real Name
    John Hardy

Thanks for that explanation Peter it certainly helps to make what's what clearer.
    I decided to have a cleanup so:

I removed the Alpha Five v10 Application Server (upgrade)
    from (this) my developer Machine and have placed it on my server.

I completely uninstalled the original files of Alpha Five v10 Developer's Edition (upgrade) and Alpha Five v10 Runtime (upgrade) and then reinstalled these on my developer machine.

On this developer machine when I open Alpha Five v10 Developer's Edition the application server will not start.
    If I go to web application/ server/ Sessions and add the Alpha Five v10 Developer's Edition license number and activate I get the message:

That license key (******) has already been activated on another computer.
    It must be deactivated on that other computer before it can be activated here.

Any ideas what to do please?

Real Name
    Tommy Thompson

What operating system are you running on your server? I ran into this with MS 2008 Server
    Tommy Thompson
    Thompson Consulting Services
    Beautiful Kentucky Lake, Springville, TN 38256
    tommy@btthompson.com

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

First delete the xml file on your developer machine. I assume that you activated the app server license on your developer machine? If so, put the license number back in and deactivate it. Then go to the server and activate it there.

"Certified" Alphaholic NoeticCC's Avatar
    Real Name
    Andrea Gill

On this developer machine when I open Alpha Five v10 Developer's Edition the application server will not start.
    If I go to web application/ server/ Sessions and add the Alpha Five v10 Developer's Edition license number and activate I get the message:

Any ideas what to do please?
    You don't need to license the server on your developer machine, as the dev machine is only there so you can test things from the same machine. The only place where you should activate the server license is on the server you deploy to, you should be fine with the built-in "localhost only" web server on the dev machine.

Real Name
    John Hardy

On my developer machine I use XP
    The web server uses winServer 2003

First delete the xml file on your developer machine.
    Peter where is this please?

On the Dev machine if I try to start the server I get the error as per image attached.

--------------------
    I cannot get the web server with Alpha Five v10 Application Server (upgrade)
    to open at all at the moment, starts with an error:
    Error running Server startup script. But I was going to leave that until I fixed the Dev Machine

Real Name
    John Hardy

Thanks Andrea
    I have unistalled the Alpha Five v10 Application Server from the Dev Machine, maybe that was a mistake?
    Perhaps I can get Alpha to deactivate the licences?

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Peter where is this please?
    John,

As I said above in Post #9, read the latest release notes. That gives the instructions on removing the xml file.

Real Name
    John Hardy

Thanks Peter
    I have removed the xml file several times but the Dev application server refuses to start.
    No License numbers are listed under sessions
    If I select Start Server in the Sessions box I get the error as in #17

Real Name
    Kenneth

f you have deactivation problems with your server This is what Alpha ask you do to
    (http://support.alphasoftware.com/alp...pv10/index.htm FAQ)

-----
    “Alpha Five or Application Server Activation Problems
    If you need to contact Alpha Software regarding activation, please supply*as*much information*as*possible.
    You will want to include your Alpha Five license number(s) and the affected "Machine Name(s)". You can simply send us an email ( custserv@alphasoftware.com ) with the following information.
    Your license number(s).
    The affected "Machine Name" that you wish to be removed.
    If need be, the "Machine Name" of the new computer.
    We will then process the necessary requests for you and email back the new activation keys.
    Remember in an emergency, you can always rename your computer to what it was before, and you will not need to re-activate the software, and that is why it is important to make a note of your current license numbers and "Machine Names".”
    -----

I did have server crash january 9. I was unable to recover from Acronis ServerImage so I could not deactivate myself the Alpha Application Server. I installed Application Server to new machine but I got also error message saying that the server has already been activated to other machine.

So I did send my first email to Alpha january 10. This is may last email to Alpha, january 20:

---
    Hi,

I have already sent to you emails Jan/19/2010, Jan/ 18/2010, Jan/14/2010 and* Jan/10/2010* of this subject.
    I still can't activate my new server

I had a server crash and I can't deactivate my A5V9 Application Server myself.

I have now new server installed but I can't activate my license. I do got error message:

That license key (77....10) has already been activated on another computer. It must be deactivated on that other computer before it can be activated here.

I had a accounting reporting solution on that server and my customers cant 't now use it anymore. Week is long time to wait...

Please, deactivate my license. My new machine name is also (MACHINE NAME HERE).

If you need any further information please contact me!
    ----

So what to do next. I could phone them and beg to read their email. But I did not. I thought that this (their decision to not act) is really their problem not mine. Because my data was in MySql table and physically in another internet server I could chance platform because I did not lost my database. It took me two weeks and now I still have my customers but my server is now Apache and platform is php + mysql.

I can confirm that I can't even today activate my server. I have learned my lesson.

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

I have removed the xml file several times but the Dev application server refuses to start.
    No License numbers are listed under sessions
    If I select Start Server in the Sessions box I get the error as in #17
    OK.
    I would uninstall Alpha Server and Developer.
    Delete the XML (again - it does get tedious, doesn't it?)
    Reinstall the developer
    Patch to Build 2659-3515

If that does not work, try contacting Alpha. I know KKfin had a hard time, but I always say, try, try again.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    eric

Quote Originally Posted by kkfin View Post
    f you have deactivation problems with your server This is what Alpha ask you do to
    (http://support.alphasoftware.com/alp...pv10/index.htm FAQ)

-----
    “Alpha Five or Application Server Activation Problems
    If you need to contact Alpha Software regarding activation, please supply*as*much information*as*possible.
    You will want to include your Alpha Five license number(s) and the affected "Machine Name(s)". You can simply send us an email ( custserv@alphasoftware.com ) with the following information.
    Your license number(s).
    The affected "Machine Name" that you wish to be removed.
    If need be, the "Machine Name" of the new computer.
    We will then process the necessary requests for you and email back the new activation keys.
    Remember in an emergency, you can always rename your computer to what it was before, and you will not need to re-activate the software, and that is why it is important to make a note of your current license numbers and "Machine Names".”
    -----

I did have server crash january 9. I was unable to recover from Acronis ServerImage so I could not deactivate myself the Alpha Application Server. I installed Application Server to new machine but I got also error message saying that the server has already been activated to other machine.

So I did send my first email to Alpha january 10. This is may last email to Alpha, january 20:

---
    Hi,

I have already sent to you emails Jan/19/2010, Jan/ 18/2010, Jan/14/2010 and* Jan/10/2010* of this subject.
    I still can't activate my new server

I had a server crash and I can't deactivate my A5V9 Application Server myself.

I have now new server installed but I can't activate my license. I do got error message:

That license key (77....10) has already been activated on another computer. It must be deactivated on that other computer before it can be activated here.

I had a accounting reporting solution on that server and my customers cant 't now use it anymore. Week is long time to wait...

Please, deactivate my license. My new machine name is also (MACHINE NAME HERE).

If you need any further information please contact me!
    ----

So what to do next. I could phone them and beg to read their email. But I did not. I thought that this (their decision to not act) is really their problem not mine. Because my data was in MySql table and physically in another internet server I could chance platform because I did not lost my database. It took me two weeks and now I still have my customers but my server is now Apache and platform is php + mysql.

I can confirm that I can't even today activate my server. I have learned my lesson.
    Agree waiting so long is disaster for your business why did you not use the 45 day trial as a backdoor

Secondly other companies have a emergency key for that situations
    if that matter that you can not use the 45 day trial.
    It's very strange for Alpha team not to respond on mails concerning activation keys, normally the problem is solved very quickly , that is my experience. I hope you stay a A5 delevoper.

Real Name
    John Hardy

would uninstall Alpha Server and Developer.
    Delete the XML (again - it does get tedious, doesn't it?)
    Reinstall the developer
    Patch to Build 2659-3515
    I followed Peters sequence exactly and the Developer is working again!
    I dont know here I went wrong previously
    Tomorrow I will see if I can get the web server working again.
    Thank you all so very much for all the advice and guidance.
    Cheers
    John

Real Name
    Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by bea2701 View Post
    Agree waiting so long is disaster for your business why did you not use the 45 day trial as a backdoor

Secondly other companies have a emergency key for that situations
    if that matter that you can not use the 45 day trial.
    It's very strange for Alpha team not to respond on mails concerning activation keys, normally the problem is solved very quickly , that is my experience. I hope you stay a A5 delevoper.

Infact I did change platform. So if anybody gets my server deactivated can freely use it. The license key is X(AV59). I don't need it anymore.
    Last edited by Lenny Forziati; 02-03-2010 at 10:33 AM. Reason: license number removed

Real Name
    Tommy Thompson

I don't see how as a developer you can feel comfortable with the fact that you cannot re-activate your own server.

There are going to be times when systems crash, etc. Waiting over the weekend or even a few hours can be disastrous for a mission critical application.

I don't see why it would be so hard to change this policy so that a legitimate user can deactivate their key. MS does it and so do all the other software vendors I use.

Apparently, not many people think about this. However, as A5 becomes more popular, I think this is an issue that will be discussed more and more.
    Tommy Thompson
    Thompson Consulting Services
    Beautiful Kentucky Lake, Springville, TN 38256
    tommy@btthompson.com

Real Name
    John Hardy

Thats sounds correct and worrying.
    In my case I was able to get the server running again but the activate and de activate is still vague in my mind.

Perhaps better if the license numbers (or an indicator) could be seen. That may be dangerous I expect, although credit cards displays manage a compromise.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Bill Griffin

Perhaps better if the license numbers (or an indicator) could be seen. That may be dangerous I expect, although credit cards displays manage a compromise.

Not exactly sure what you mean by this, but:

The license numbers can be seen. Developer and Runtime Help/About Alpha 5

Application server - sessions tab - this is also where you activate/deactivate the license.
    Bill Griffin
    Parkell, Inc

Real Name
    John Hardy

Thanks Bill
    Perhaps I am looking incorrectly but this picture shows what I see in my Dev A5

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Bill Griffin

You do not need a license for the application server in the development system, so what you are seeing is correct. There is only one license required for the development or runtime system, shown in Help/About Alpha Five.

You seem to be very confused as to how this all works. Perhaps if you stated how you understand it to work, we clear up the confusion.
    Bill Griffin
    Parkell, Inc