Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

A10 server will not start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A10 server will not start

Originally posted by JH10 View Post
    On this developer machine when I open Alpha Five v10 Developer's Edition the application server will not start.
    If I go to web application/ server/ Sessions and add the Alpha Five v10 Developer's Edition license number and activate I get the message:

That license key (******) has already been activated on another computer.
    It must be deactivated on that other computer before it can be activated here.

Any ideas what to do please?
    You don't need to license the server on your developer machine, as the dev machine is only there so you can test things from the same machine. The only place where you should activate the server license is on the server you deploy to, you should be fine with the built-in "localhost only" web server on the dev machine.

Comment

On my developer machine I use XP
      The web server uses winServer 2003

First delete the xml file on your developer machine.
      Peter where is this please?

On the Dev machine if I try to start the server I get the error as per image attached.

--------------------
      I cannot get the web server with Alpha Five v10 Application Server (upgrade)
      to open at all at the moment, starts with an error:
      Error running Server startup script. But I was going to leave that until I fixed the Dev Machine

Comment

Thanks Andrea
        I have unistalled the Alpha Five v10 Application Server from the Dev Machine, maybe that was a mistake?
        Perhaps I can get Alpha to deactivate the licences?

Comment

Peter where is this please?
          John,

As I said above in Post #9, read the latest release notes. That gives the instructions on removing the xml file.
          Peter
          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
          https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Thanks Peter
            I have removed the xml file several times but the Dev application server refuses to start.
            No License numbers are listed under sessions
            If I select Start Server in the Sessions box I get the error as in #17

Comment

f you have deactivation problems with your server This is what Alpha ask you do to
              (http://support.alphasoftware.com/alp...pv10/index.htm FAQ)

-----
              �Alpha Five or Application Server Activation Problems
              If you need to contact Alpha Software regarding activation, please supply*as*much information*as*possible.
              You will want to include your Alpha Five license number(s) and the affected "Machine Name(s)". You can simply send us an email ( [email protected] ) with the following information.
              Your license number(s).
              The affected "Machine Name" that you wish to be removed.
              If need be, the "Machine Name" of the new computer.
              We will then process the necessary requests for you and email back the new activation keys.
              Remember in an emergency, you can always rename your computer to what it was before, and you will not need to re-activate the software, and that is why it is important to make a note of your current license numbers and "Machine Names".�
              -----

I did have server crash january 9. I was unable to recover from Acronis ServerImage so I could not deactivate myself the Alpha Application Server. I installed Application Server to new machine but I got also error message saying that the server has already been activated to other machine.

So I did send my first email to Alpha january 10. This is may last email to Alpha, january 20:

---
              Hi,

I have already sent to you emails Jan/19/2010, Jan/ 18/2010, Jan/14/2010 and* Jan/10/2010* of this subject.
              I still can't activate my new server

I had a server crash and I can't deactivate my A5V9 Application Server myself.

I have now new server installed but I can't activate my license. I do got error message:

That license key (77....10) has already been activated on another computer. It must be deactivated on that other computer before it can be activated here.

I had a accounting reporting solution on that server and my customers cant 't now use it anymore. Week is long time to wait...

Please, deactivate my license. My new machine name is also (MACHINE NAME HERE).

If you need any further information please contact me!
              ----

So what to do next. I could phone them and beg to read their email. But I did not. I thought that this (their decision to not act) is really their problem not mine. Because my data was in MySql table and physically in another internet server I could chance platform because I did not lost my database. It took me two weeks and now I still have my customers but my server is now Apache and platform is php + mysql.

I can confirm that I can't even today activate my server. I have learned my lesson.

Comment

I have removed the xml file several times but the Dev application server refuses to start.
                No License numbers are listed under sessions
                If I select Start Server in the Sessions box I get the error as in #17
                OK.
                I would uninstall Alpha Server and Developer.
                Delete the XML (again - it does get tedious, doesn't it?)
                Reinstall the developer
                Patch to Build 2659-3515

If that does not work, try contacting Alpha. I know KKfin had a hard time, but I always say, try, try again.
                Peter
                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Originally posted by kkfin View Post
                  f you have deactivation problems with your server This is what Alpha ask you do to
                  (http://support.alphasoftware.com/alp...pv10/index.htm FAQ)

-----
                  �Alpha Five or Application Server Activation Problems
                  If you need to contact Alpha Software regarding activation, please supply*as*much information*as*possible.
                  You will want to include your Alpha Five license number(s) and the affected "Machine Name(s)". You can simply send us an email ( [email protected] ) with the following information.
                  Your license number(s).
                  The affected "Machine Name" that you wish to be removed.
                  If need be, the "Machine Name" of the new computer.
                  We will then process the necessary requests for you and email back the new activation keys.
                  Remember in an emergency, you can always rename your computer to what it was before, and you will not need to re-activate the software, and that is why it is important to make a note of your current license numbers and "Machine Names".�
                  -----

I did have server crash january 9. I was unable to recover from Acronis ServerImage so I could not deactivate myself the Alpha Application Server. I installed Application Server to new machine but I got also error message saying that the server has already been activated to other machine.

So I did send my first email to Alpha january 10. This is may last email to Alpha, january 20:

---
                  Hi,

I have already sent to you emails Jan/19/2010, Jan/ 18/2010, Jan/14/2010 and* Jan/10/2010* of this subject.
                  I still can't activate my new server

I had a server crash and I can't deactivate my A5V9 Application Server myself.

I have now new server installed but I can't activate my license. I do got error message:

That license key (77....10) has already been activated on another computer. It must be deactivated on that other computer before it can be activated here.

I had a accounting reporting solution on that server and my customers cant 't now use it anymore. Week is long time to wait...

Please, deactivate my license. My new machine name is also (MACHINE NAME HERE).

If you need any further information please contact me!
                  ----

So what to do next. I could phone them and beg to read their email. But I did not. I thought that this (their decision to not act) is really their problem not mine. Because my data was in MySql table and physically in another internet server I could chance platform because I did not lost my database. It took me two weeks and now I still have my customers but my server is now Apache and platform is php + mysql.

I can confirm that I can't even today activate my server. I have learned my lesson.
                  Agree waiting so long is disaster for your business why did you not use the 45 day trial as a backdoor

Secondly other companies have a emergency key for that situations
                  if that matter that you can not use the 45 day trial.
                  It's very strange for Alpha team not to respond on mails concerning activation keys, normally the problem is solved very quickly , that is my experience. I hope you stay a A5 delevoper.

Comment

would uninstall Alpha Server and Developer.
                    Delete the XML (again - it does get tedious, doesn't it?)
                    Reinstall the developer
                    Patch to Build 2659-3515
                    I followed Peters sequence exactly and the Developer is working again!
                    I dont know here I went wrong previously
                    Tomorrow I will see if I can get the web server working again.
                    Thank you all so very much for all the advice and guidance.
                    Cheers
                    John

Comment

Originally posted by bea2701 View Post
                      Agree waiting so long is disaster for your business why did you not use the 45 day trial as a backdoor

Secondly other companies have a emergency key for that situations
                      if that matter that you can not use the 45 day trial.
                      It's very strange for Alpha team not to respond on mails concerning activation keys, normally the problem is solved very quickly , that is my experience. I hope you stay a A5 delevoper.

Infact I did change platform. So if anybody gets my server deactivated can freely use it. The license key is X(AV59). I don't need it anymore.
                      Last edited by Lenny Forziati; 02-03-2010, 11:33 AM. Reason: license number removed

Comment

I don't see how as a developer you can feel comfortable with the fact that you cannot re-activate your own server.

There are going to be times when systems crash, etc. Waiting over the weekend or even a few hours can be disastrous for a mission critical application.

I don't see why it would be so hard to change this policy so that a legitimate user can deactivate their key. MS does it and so do all the other software vendors I use.

Apparently, not many people think about this. However, as A5 becomes more popular, I think this is an issue that will be discussed more and more.
                        Tommy Thompson
                        Thompson Consulting Services
                        Beautiful Kentucky Lake, Springville, TN 38256
                        [email protected]

Comment

Thats sounds correct and worrying.
                          In my case I was able to get the server running again but the activate and de activate is still vague in my mind.

Perhaps better if the license numbers (or an indicator) could be seen. That may be dangerous I expect, although credit cards displays manage a compromise.

Comment

Perhaps better if the license numbers (or an indicator) could be seen. That may be dangerous I expect, although credit cards displays manage a compromise.

Not exactly sure what you mean by this, but:

The license numbers can be seen. Developer and Runtime Help/About Alpha 5

Application server - sessions tab - this is also where you activate/deactivate the license.
                            Bill Griffin
                            Parkell, Inc

Comment

Thanks Bill
                              Perhaps I am looking incorrectly but this picture shows what I see in my Dev A5

Comment

You do not need a license for the application server in the development system, so what you are seeing is correct. There is only one license required for the development or runtime system, shown in Help/About Alpha Five.

You seem to be very confused as to how this all works. Perhaps if you stated how you understand it to work, we clear up the confusion.
                                Bill Griffin
                                Parkell, Inc

Comment

Working...
                                X