Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Release Candidate for Next Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Release Candidate for Next Update

Ira,

Well said - just want to comment on the zip up suggestion. For the SQL developers this would not be helpful. I am seeing more and more on the V10 list who are pushing the limits of A5 running SQL and lots of Java/JQuery Mashups. What I would like to see is a versioning control system that would work.

I am using vmware, backups both alpha and mysql. But a single developer I am not see how this is going to scale to multiple developers.

Thanks again Ira,

Michael Carroll

Originally posted by csda1 View Post
    Hi Martin,
    Added: Also, a bug report generator could optionally zip up an entire database and send it, or a database with just the structure, dictionaries and no data (much data is sensitive and shouldn't be exported out of locations) and attach the zip file and save the user the hassle/issue of doing it.

Comment

Martin,

I do not think that its fair to put the loss of your client on the shoulders of Alpha, or this dev community.

As a rookie Alpha programmer the Alpha support crew have been great in working though my real and or imagined bug (my lack of understanding) reports - as well as Alpha Dev community.

Now the solution:
      1. Isolate the server side: Do this by having Zebra Hosting restore your hosted server environment. Install the last stable patch.

2. Create a new dev environment with a clean install of Alpha Five. It helps if you have another machine, or a virtual environment. Create the simple table, grid, and report. Then publish and test.

3. File a bug report as request by Alpha Five.

4. Hurrah! you blew up a client! Celebrate and move forward.

5. If the idea for your client is great, and you do not want to be a developer, then call of one the fine members of this group and re-pitch the idea.

Best of luck,

Michael Carroll

www.redrocksbluesky.com
      [email protected]
      435-275-5175

Comment

From Ira....I think "vast wasteland" is not only a bit strong, but in fact, you are strongly insulting what is probably one of Alpha's best selling feature;
        I also agree Ira....well said.

Martin....I hope I can write this without sounding flippant...as it is not meant to be...but I think most users here would refer the documentation/help files for Alpha as the "vast wasteland". This is one place where you can actually get REAL help.

I know you have your plate full with the task ahead of you. But believe me....there is a real thirst for better documentation / examples / structure for all things related to the documentation.

That being said....I understand the necessity for solid bug reports. It strips my gears when users of my apps call me and say..."It doesn't work". I am like....huh.....seriously...that's all you got for me! :)

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by jkletrovets View Post
          ...but I think most users here would refer the documentation/help files for Alpha as the "vast wasteland". This is one place where you can actually get REAL help.
          I wholeheartedly agree with Jeff.

Terry

Comment

That being said....I understand the necessity for solid bug reports. It strips my gears when users of my apps call me and say..."It doesn't work". I am like....huh.....seriously...that's all you got for me! :)
            LOL - we had one call yesterday saying "We can't get to anything on the server!" (the client is far away and it would have been a major pain to go and fix the server!). Turns out they meant they can't get to their Alpha5 web portal on OUR server - because their Internet was down...

Comment

Turns out they meant they can't get to their Alpha5 web portal on OUR server - because their Internet was down...
              That's a classic! :)

Sometimes that stuff makes you wanna crawl through the cable modem line and out the other end.....and go chicken-kick 'em in the head! :)

Comment

That's a classic! :)

Sometimes that stuff makes you wanna crawl through the cable modem line and out the other end.....and go chicken-kick 'em in the head! :)
                LOL, indeed! Chicken-kick, never heard that one before!!! ;)

Comment

Originally posted by NoeticCC View Post
                  LOL, indeed! Chicken-kick, never heard that one before!!! ;)
                  Happens all the time!
                  Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

@Michael I think you were addressing Steve, not me.

@jkletrovets Tell me about it. I'm making some progress on the documentation, but it's a big hill to climb.

Comment

Originally posted by mheller View Post
                      but it's a big hill to climb.
                      Nevertheless it will be a worthwhile journey for all..
                      Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by glenschild View Post
                        Happens all the time!
                        Oh I see, you mean like....

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelCarroll View Post
                          4. Hurrah! you blew up a client! Celebrate and move forward.
                          In my company NOBODY! is allowed to blow up clients, even by accident. No matter how mean they are.
                          Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Comment

Working...
                          X