Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Adding Users to Groups in Security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding Users to Groups in Security

I am using a grid to add users to the Security framework and everything works well except the users do not get added to the groups. The group list is created from
    Code:
    e.rtc.grouplist = a5ws_get_groups(request,.T.)
    the OnGridInitialize event which creates the checkbox list and the code to save is in the AfterInsertRecord event.
    Code:
    dim uservalue as p
    dim uservalue.guid as c
    dim uservalue.userid as c
    dim uservalue.ulink as c
    dim uservalue.groups as c
    dim uservalue.password as c
    uservalue.password = e.DataSubmitted.pin
    uservalue.ulink = e.DataSubmitted.QBListID
    uservalue.groups = e.DataSubmitted.role.dump()
    uservalue.userid = e.DataSubmitted.username
    dim output as p
    dim output.controls as p
    dim output.controls.guid.value as c 
    dim result as p
    result = a5ws_Save_WebUser_Values(output,uservalue)
    As soon as I get this working I will add it to the Update event. Any direction you can give me I will gladly accept. I even changed the e.DataSubmitted.role to a constant and it would not work.

Thanks for your help,

Rod

Re: Adding Users to Groups in Security

Rod,

Where did you find notes on e.rtc.grouplist and the security framework?

Michael

Comment

Michael,

The web application functions can be found here http://support.alphasoftware.com/alp..._Functions.htm. Going through the functions will take you to some of the examples.

The e. variable is used extensively in the events.

BTW, using a grid does not work. When I save using the grid, it places the security data in the local or development .dbf. When a dialog is used it places the security data in the web server folder.

Back to attempting to accomplish this through a dialog.

Rod

Comment

The security functions require the use of the system "request" variable to properly identify the table location. If the functions are used on a page, or in dialog events, the will add the variable automatically. However, because of the methods used to run the functions in the grid events, the variable must be explicitly assigned.

The release notes for Build 2515-3388 explain what variable to use in various events. For example, the AfterInsert Record event uses "e.GridDefinition.request", so the proper syntax for the security save function would be
        Code:
        a5ws_Save_WebUser_Values(output,uservalue,e.GridDefinition.request)

Comment

Thanks Jerry, I will try it. I had tried using the request variable but was never quite sure how is should be initiated. I will try this tomorrow.

Rod

Comment

Jerry,

Just to let you know that I finally had success. However it took me about 2 hours to get it done. When I initially made the changes the groups field became read only which had never happened before. It was not until I removed the groups field from the grid and then put it back in that it actually worked.

Comment

Hi Rod,

could you please share what you have done for adding user to group in a grid? (screenshot and coding)

currently i am using the exact example from alpha for my security setting in my web application, but i found that if i have many group (let's say 100 group) then when i tried to add a user to group then i will get something strange.

Thanks,
              Andy

Comment

If you have 100+- groups you are probably building your application incorrectly. Describe the nature of these groups. The biggest system would still have relatively few groups and the groups would almost never change (renamed, added, deleted) once the application was complete.
                Steve Wood
                See my profile on IADN

Comment

steve, for my case i am a creating accounting system, where i have many tabel and transaction (each transaction and each table master i put on one group, so if i have 40 table master then i will have 40 group), so the administrator can easily to determine for a user to which table and transaction can be authorized to access.

so far i am using example component from alpha five version 9 (dialog component)? and when i save it ,but sometimes it cannot be saved when i click submit (i think because of many group)?

it's why i want to try to use grid instead of dialog in v9 example.

regards,
                  Andy

Comment

You are closer to the application, but it sounds like two groups, Admin and User. I think if you have to modify security groups based on any data change in the system (addition of a user, a table, etc) that this is an incorrect implementation of security groups.

It would seem more streamlined to have a Users table where each entry had a matching entry in security framework, and when that person logged in, a field in your own Users table would indicate which Master Table they owned.

But you didnt ask that question. Regarding managing secuiry groups in a grid, not sure you can. The security tables are not normally accessible to grids. You could probably build a clone table with all of your groups and then use the web security functions in grid row events to modify the real security tables when a change is made to yours. But that is really just like using the dialog as you are now.
                    Steve Wood
                    See my profile on IADN

Comment

yes, that's my need actually, i need to use grid for security group rather than using CHECKBOX in dialog component.

could you please share how to clone the table? what step i have to do?

thanks,
                      andy

Comment

Well I've never done it, but I meant create a table with a single field for Groups and add all of your security groups in the table, one record for each. Then review the Help at the address below to use the functions to add or remove a security group using grid events. I don't know if this is a good or a bad idea, but it's worth trying.

http://support.alphasoftware.com/Wha...Event Handlers
                        Steve Wood
                        See my profile on IADN

Comment

hi rod,

could you share what you did with security group on a grid?

Thanks,
                          Andy

Comment

Andiyanto,

My apologies, I did not follow this thread and just saw this request. I attached a simple grid that works. It will not work until published but feel free to take the concepts.

Rod

Comment

Hi Rod,

Many thanks for your reply. i will take a look at it.

Regards,
                              Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X